Need advice from former PZI users

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Oscar, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I was advised to post here as well - searching for more eyes and experienced users with PZI or ProZinc. We were curving slightly a few days ago, but now we have an inverse curve for the past 2 days and elevated ketone levels. Please refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=10207&p=100927#p100927

Thanks!

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

I think you've gotten some good advice on the original thread, especially regarding the ketones, which aren't anything to fool with. I agree with Steve that Oscar probably needs more insulin, but don't jump more than .25U at once.

Stress can upset the apple cart for 24 hours or so, but the ketones were already present before your trip. Water would also be a key factor to flush out the ketones - syringe it in his mouth, unless you know how and have the equipment for sub-Q fluids. At least 50ml worth of fluids/water; he's no doubt dehydrated from the trip. You can also puree his food with water in a blender, if he'll eat it that way or if you have or can get a 60ml syringe, you can syringe feed pureed food to him. A smaller syringe works better for just water. Usually your vet will provide them for little cost. Mine charges me $1 for the 60ml feeding one.

How are his teeth? Dental infections are not obvious and infection is often a factor in ketones. Hope this gives you some ammunition to get rid of those ketones. Please don't let them get much worse, they can get out of control quickly.

3. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Kelly, I see his ketones are a little less this am. I am sending "NO ketones!" vibes Oscar's way.

I don't have any experience with ketones, but giving fluids, keeping him eating, and getting the BG down are all key. Can you do tid dosing over the weekend maybe? You are now giving 1.5u bid (3u total), so maybe a fat 1u every 8 hours, but only if you will be there to get some spot checks.

I remember a kitty that was hospitalized with ketones and when he came home he was given vetsulin "as needed", which seemed to be every 8 hours. After things got under control he went back to lantus bid. Vetsulin is a faster acting insulin that doesn't stay in the system so worked well to get the BG down. I would not recommend vetsulin now, of course, with it's issues, but I think PZI can be used tid successfully. You might ask the PZI folks about it.

4. Michele&Molly

Michele&Molly Member

Hey Kelly -

Sorry to hear Oscar's not feeling so well. I read your thread over in PZI land and i see you're getting great advice there and here. I see you decided to raise the dose, please keep us updated on how he's doing, like you, i'm worried about the trace ketones. Hang in there and don't forget to reinforce yourself, you're doing fantastic and Oscar's lucky to have you!! -Michele

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Yes, Sheila, you are correct. PZI can be used TID. I had done it. Wish I could have kept it up as that's what gandalf needed with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.