Need advice - I’m hurting my kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mollyp, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mollyp

Mollyp New Member

I’ve trying so hard to get Molly to accept the insulin shots. I switched to a 31g needle but I’m still hurting her. I moved from her scruff to her lower body which helped. But the last injection seemed like the needle wouldn’t go in. I tried different spots while she was kept crying until finally I got it in. What am I doing wrong? Am I not making a good enough tent? Is something wrong with the needle? I’m using Monoject U100 31g 5/16 needles. It doesn’t happen every time but just enough to keep her dreading when I inject her. Breaks my heart.

Paigeworthy likes this.
  2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Paigeworthy likes this.
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi, huge (((hugs))) to you.
    It can take a little while to get used to giving shots. But you will get the hang of it, and Molly will forgive you. :bighug:

It's 'possible' that you're pushing the needle in too far. When that happens we can nick more sensitive tissue underneath. Or it's 'possible' that you're pushing the needle in a little too slowly or too tentatively and that may be creating additional resistance in the skin.

There are also other methods for giving shots.
    I never really got on with the 'tenting' method. So I grab some loose skin between my fingers and thumb, pull it upwards and tip it upwards slightly, and then inject almost directly downwards into the skin that I'm holding between fingers and thumb. I realised that if I did that there was no chance of my pushing the needle in too far (something I was prone to doing in the beginning because I was rather nervous.)

And Chris @Chris & China has a method where she grabs loose skin in her hand and then rolls it back to create a little space underneath where she can inject. I think she has a photo of that and might be able to post it for you.

Incidentally, in the early days I was pretty clumsy with syringes, didn't even like handling them. So (on the advice of someone here) I practiced giving shots on oranges! I went through the whole process: I'd put some water in a cup, get my orange (one that fits nicely in your hand is good) and then draw a little water into the syringe and inject the orange. I did it over and over, sometimes while I was sitting on the couch in front of the TV. The feeling is not that dissimilar to giving a shot to a cat in that there is the initial resistance of the skin and then the feeling of having passed through it. Once 'my hands had learned to do it' giving shots became so much easier.

Eliz

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are giving the shots.....I used to put Sheba on the table so that I was standing and she was in front of me and it was easy for me to lean over slightly and put the shot in the far side of her abdomen. I always had some food for her to be eating while I gave the insulin and she barely noticed.
    You've been given some good tips above. Hope it gets easier for you and Molly :bighug:

5. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I used to use those longer needles/ 31 gauge too. I switched to the shortest 31 gauge. It's a 15/64th length - very very short - perfect for just getting into/under the skin but not too far. I also always put a few pieces of Young Again Zero on the towel where I set Luci facing the snack - her head it always in the treat!:D And rarely ever does she make a squeak when I gather up a scruff and shoot just underneath quickly but firmly to make sure it goes in/out with just enough time to make sure I've squeezed the plunger firmly. We haven't had a miss since I started doing it like that.

Try not to think about it breaking your heart - I understand that feeling - however try to think of it as the help you're giving her - you're the best hope she has for a healthy life mama! Hang in there and do your best - it'll get easier over time - promise!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you facing the bevel up?

7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

For small needle diameters like insulin meters it really does not make a difference but it does make a little difference for the large needle diameters like those used for subQ fluids. With large diameter needles injected at an angle to the skin the heal of the needle can contact the skel before the tip.

8. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Larry what's the heal of the needle?

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

10. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

@Mollyp , how is it going with the shots now?

I just remembered this really good little video that has been posted here before, and wondered if it might be of interest to you. It's possible to get cats to associate the process of getting a shot with the pleasure of food. This video shows the principles of 'desensetization and counter-conditioning'.

Eliz

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  12. Mollyp

Mollyp New Member

I’m still having problems with the needle not going in. One time when I couldn’t get the needle to go very far in I just pushed the plunger. I didn’t feel any wet fur so I assume it went in. Is that ok if you just get the tip of the needle in? Still don’t understand why sometimes it goes all the way in and other times it won’t. So frustrating!

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried the "wrist roll" method instead of "tenting"?

You grab some fur between your thumb and forefinger and then "roll your wrist" to gently pull the skin away from the muscle and where the fur "breaks", insert the needle.

Hopefully this picture will help explain better
    China skin roll with circle.png

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

You only need the tip in... Not the whole thing

15. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

@Mollyp - Can I ask, how do you know the needle is not going in? Can you actually see the needle or are you going by "feel"?

16. Mollyp

Mollyp New Member

I’m going by how it feels. Sometimes it feels like it’s going it a lot but other times it’s like only the tip is going in. So I’ve been injecting even when it’s seems only the tip is going in because it really stresses her out when I take too long.

17. JanetNJ

That's all you need. You just need it to go in past the opening of the needle. Please don't try to push it all the way

18. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

@Mollyp - Ok, that's why I asked. It's probably in and you dont realize it. These needles are sharp and they slip in very easily. And if you think you are hurting her it's because you keep pushing and it's already inserted.

Don't feel bad, I have done about 3000 of these shots now and there are still times I think it's not in because it went in so easily. Other times I do feel it go in. You can always shave the area(s) you shoot and you will be able to see it that way.

Hope this helps. Don't worry, you are doing great. It's a lot to learn, and a lot of it is trial & error. Hugs to Molly:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.