Need advice on handling BG tests alone.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

My husband going in for surgery Monday and post-op will not be able to help me for a number of days. Does anyone have advice on how to handle testing alone?

In the morning, he is very hungry and tough to hold; so I really need advice on the BG testing before. Any advice?

In the evening, he is very hungray and tough to hold :).

Oy vey!

2. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

Catcat will generally not let me do a test unless he has his nose in the food bowl
    for the test, I usually put just a heaping tablespoon of food in the dish, add the same amount of water, and mush it up
    he's too busy eating "soup" to be that tough to handle --

he does jump when I prick, so sometimes it turns out to be more of a slice than a prick
    for us it works out for him to eat with bowl in a wire holder just up off the floor, and me kneeling on the floor behind him

you might be able to give him food or treat on chair, couch, table, bed, whatever ---

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to kneel down and sit back on my heels. I would have everything ready just to one side of me. Then I would put Sheba inbetween my legs, with her tail backing into me so she was facing away from me. That way I had control of her movements.
    Check how long your meter will run once you put the strip in before it times out to error. I found I had plenty of time to put the strip right in the meter then get the blood and test before it timed out.
    Another thing I did was give her some chicken broth while i was testing. It has no calories to speak of and won't effect the BSL if you needed to stall. That way your kitty can concentrate on licking up the fluid as you test.
    To make the broth: put some chicken bones in a pot with water and nothing else and boil slowly for up to 4 to 6 hours, making sure there is enough water. When done, drain and put stock in frig and next day skim off the fat. Then put the stock into ice cube trays and freeze. When frozen transfer to baggies and use as needed. I always had a bag of broth cubes in the freezer.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I do all of Mia's tests alone and have from the beginning. Her testing spot is a level on her tower that is a good working height for me...that is important. I get everything ready... I put a strip in the meter but don't push it down all the way to turn the meter on yet. I twist the top off the lancet (I do not use a lancing device; I hold the lancet in my hand and poke with it). I tear off some cooked chicken breast and put it in her treat bowl. I wet the corner of a washcloth with very hot water and wring out the excess. Then I take everything to the tower. Once she is up there, I push the strip in all the way to turn the meter on. Then, I have my left arm draped over her (so that my elbow ends up either resting on the tower level she is standing on or hovering just above it). With Mia, I have found that the less restraint, the better, so the arm is a way of loosely holding her in place but not making her feel restrained. It also still allows me to use my left hand some in the process to turn her head as needed, etc. I hold the warm, wet cloth on the ear for a few seconds before poking and testing, then I use it after to wipe the area and apply light pressure for a few seconds. Then, I step away, and she starts gobbling up her chicken! In the very beginning, she would try to start eating her chicken immediately upon getting in the tower (I have the bowl setting right in front of her), but I always made her wait until the test was done, so she learned that she has to get through the test to get to the chicken.

It can be hard in the beginning, but it gets easier a lot quicker than you would think. I remember that the first week of testing Mia was very 'dramatic' and stressful, but then it started getting easier. Now, it is super easy. On her own, she goes to her tower and gets in place. She even holds her little ear out for me to test. So sweet. I think the most important things are to pick a testing spot that is conducive to the testing, to develop a routine by always doing the same steps each time, and to always provide a special treat as a reward.

5. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

My hubby was asleep at AMPS +5 so I decided to try to get a blood test on my own; so I followed most of what you say, and I was successful!!!!! Took Zoot to his place, smeared a little Neosporin on his ear - pricked it from the back (instead of him seeing me coming at him with the lancet) and he was great! Very little restraint - just my right arm draped over him as I held his ear. Warm cotton pad - strip out until just before needed, etc. So pleased that I have at least one technique that might work when I am doing this alone. I saved the chicken till the end. I think if I start giving to him during the process he will become way to animated to control.

Happy Dance!

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I'm sure that is a load off your mind knowing it is possible to test on your own. Best wishes to your DH for a quick recovery! :)

Amina&M'row and Cinnie Cole like this.
  7. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

My effort to test without help for PMPS went well again! Feeling more confident that I am getting a process that will work. Yay!

8. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

M'row all used to testing now. A thought: when cats are trying to escape, they often back away. I notice that many wise posts in this thread advise positioning kitties so they can't back up. :)

Cinnie Cole likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.