Need advice on hometesting!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christy and Snug, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christy and Snug

Christy and Snug New Member

I finally got a home testing kit and read all of the instructions that came with it. I also watched a couple of videos on youtube before attempting to give it a try with Snuggles. It didn't go well! He is a very skittish cat and doesn't like being held or apparently having his ears messed with. He flicked his head every time I tried to hold the warm sock against his ear or rub it with my fingers to warm it up. I finally managed to prick one of his ears but they're black and I couldnt tell if there was any blood or not. He wouldn't let me hold his ear to get a good look at it. I discovered that there was some blood when I ran my fingers over his ear but by then it was on my fingers and useless. So I tried the other ear after much struggling with him. This time I managed to prick through his ear and into my finger! I didn't see any blood at all with this one so I'm not sure if I missed the vein or what. After two tries I decided to give up for tonight. He's getting very irritated with me messing with his ears.

Has anyone else had a cat that was very difficult to test and if so...any suggestions?? Thanks!!

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

2 words: CAT BURRITO :mrgreen: Its the only way I could control my Oscar in the beginning

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

How is Snug normally? Does he normally allow you to mess with his ears? Maybe you can start with just massaging his ears when his is laying with you. To get him used to manipulation.

Are you doing the testing free-hand or using the pen?

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with hometesting I am just now after 4 months able to home test but am using the paw pads I hope to be able to maybe do ears one day but my boy hates his ears touched and does not care about his feet his has had allergies with his ears off and on all his life and has always had ear drops in spring and fall so when it came to testing his ears it was like a big battle and I could not get them to bleed and I bruised him terrible those first 2 weeks bk in Nov so I gave up and really regret it maybe we would be closer to regulation now had I not given up so quickly so wishing you good luck with this to you and your baby there is so much great info on this forum and so many here to help :smile:

5. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

My BA initially shook her head after a stick when I decided to preventively check BG about a couple of years ago. I had not checked BG in a few months when I started testing recently. When I was able to stop my heart racing, and my hands jitters, she calmed alot. Maybe pratice sticking yourself a few times, another kitty w.o. diabetes for practice then back to Snug. I now make a point to pet ears when I scatch her head so she doesn't associate touching her ears with being stuck only. I have tried free style, and with the lancet device. I find using the lancet devise as a handle for the lancet and cap remove to ease aim for sticking. It'll take a little time, just keep at it until you find what works for you and your baby!!!

Sunshine

6. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Just thought I'd mention what worked for me. I sit in a chair with my legs crossed indian style. I put Prudence in my lap and give her some love cat_pet_icon I tried the warm sock, but what worked for me was to wash may hands under warm/hot water, so when I rubbed her ear.. I don't know, I think it helps the blood flow. I take a small piece of paper towel and fold it and place on the inside of ear along the section I will be doing the test. I also do this at my desk. This way I have everything I need in reach. I use the ReilOn Micro meter since it only needs 0.3 of blood. I just keep talking to her as I doing everything. She also likes it when I pick up her while she's in her cat bed and place in my lap while taking her BG.

Good luck!

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Maui also has black ears and while she allowed the testing, I had difficulty seeing the blood and where I poked. My recommendation is to use a flashlight - I had a small hand held that I put between my teeth and focused it like a spot light on the ear and poke spot.

Can't tell you how much easier it made everything.

Also, are you poking along the outer edge of ear - like this:

[​IMG]

And I also found that holding the lancet in an upward 45 degreeish angle worked best, and not poking straight onto ear, like this:

[​IMG]

Hope these tricks help.

8. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Here are my testing tips:

1. Pet your kitty and massage the ear while you are petting him or use a rice sock to warm his ears. (teach you cat to get used to you touching his ears by rubbing them anytime your petting him.)

2. Find a place with good light to do the testing. I used a section of my kitchen counter because it's a good height and has under cabinet lights and I put a towel down on the counter. Some people get the cat in between their legs while kneeling on the floor. Others use a couch or chair and put the cat between them and the arm. Others test in their lap. I sometimes tested Maggie in her bed.

3. Set out everything you need before getting your cat. I put the tesing strip part way into the meter, cock the lancet pen.

4. Put a very thin smear of vaseline on the ear to help the blood bead up and not flow into the hair. I would talk to her and tell her she's being a very good girl.

5. Put something firm behind the ear - I used a waded up paper towel. It gives a firm base to work on, and keeps you from getting poked. It's handy to put light pressure on the spot after it bleeds. A little pressure will stop the bleeding and reduced bruising.

6. Most lancet pens have adjustment for depth. I started with it almost at the deepest. I worked down to the next to the smallest. Some people don't use the pen, they use the lancet free-hand.

7. Hold the ear firmly or you'll get the dreaded "ear flick" that send little spots of blood all over!

8. Some people use their fingernail to "scoop" up the blood drop, and test from the nail.

9. Don't forget the treats!

It takes time to get the technique down that will work the best for you. And If you're tense, your cat will be tense. So breathe and try to relax. Don't give up. After a while it will become second nature. And Maggie would actually purr during her test, so I know it didn't hurt her. The thing she disliked the most seemed to be holding the glucometer up to her ear - I think it tickled.

9. Jay

Jay Member

When I first bagan this adventrue, I had the same difficulty as you. I couldnt get him to sit quietly on my lap, with 2 fingers on one hand holding his ear, poking him with him squirming away from me.

Our bouts continued to be like Ali vs Frazier. wtih Frankie beating up on me and me giving up. Then it dawned on me.

A 12 pound ball of fur is whipping my butt. I'm wiegh in at 180. Something wrong with that dont you think.

Grab your buddy's ear and dont let go. Wedge him onto your lab and keep one of your arms on your cats back and with 2 fingers attached to the hand of the arm you are using to keep your cat close to your body. Use the Vulcan Death Grip, on his ear and dont let go. With your free hand poke. Knead the spot slightly to draw out the blood.

Who is stronger you or you cat? With that in mind remember testing will keep your buddy safe and out of harms way, so it is only for his good, not yours.

That was 4 1/2 years, 100,000 strips or so, 3 meters, 100 vials of insulin (mabye these are all guestimates) ago. Somewhere along the way, Frankie (he is my diabetic) realized that he cant win the battle any more and submitted. At this point, he sits in my lap, buries his head under my arm, purrs while I poke. He also knows that he is going to get fed afterwards. (an excellent incentive).

Keep trying, dont stop till you and your cat get it down pat.

If I can do it, anyone can

Jay

10. Christy and Snug

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sigh, I will have to give it another try this evening. He is not the most affectionate cat and doesn't like being held or confined in any way so I don't think he'll sit on my lap. I think it's a good idea for me to start petting his ears more often so he gets used to it.

I used a lancet pen set on the next to lowest depth. I might have to enlist my husband's help in holding him. My vet says he's so wonderful for them and just sits there and lets them do what they need to do. I wish he'd be like that at home! I guess he's so petrified there that he just freezes up.

Should I be pricking the inside of his ear or the outside? I tried the outside because it seemed easier. I'm so curious to find out how his BG levels are at home, I really want this to work! Again, I appreciate all of the feedback. I'll keep you all posted on our progress :)

11. Jay

Jay Member

Outside or Inside it doesnt make a difference (to me) just get enough blood to sit on his ear for a sec so you can get this tested.
    Do you ever wacht the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic Channel.

Its about your Vet's calm assertive state that signals to your cat, that its ok to sit, relax and purr.

Now its your turn. Dont worry about hurting your cat, but be gentle and assertive. Remember who the boss is, and why you are doing this. Remember too that you outweigh your cat by how many lbs and there is no way that a small ball of fur is going to win.

Have a love fest before you poke while your cat is up on your lap. The association will be made that this exercise will be a pleasant one. Give a treat afterwards (low carb of course) and then feed. This too will add to your cats association that testing isnt a bad thing. How could it be. a love fest, a treat, and food all to sit still for a 5 seconds.

Be calm, be assertive, show no fear of hurting your cat and then hold on tight. Keep trying,.you will get it.

Jay

Jay

12. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I almost always do the outside (fur side) but one day, I tried the inside, and it worked fine. Easier to see the blood, too.

13. Christy and Snug

I finally did it! :D It took about 20 minutes to finally succeed but I managed to get one of his ears on my first try. I felt so bad because it seemed to bleed a lot and he won't let me touch it afterwards to apply pressure. I fear that I'm bruising his ears all up. Unfortunately his reading wasn't great, he was at 405. That was about an hour and a half after eating and an hour after his shot. I know that I'm supposed to test before feeding him and giving him his shot but it just didn't work out that way tonight. I'm still just confused as to why his BG isn't going down. Especially when he's on such a high dose of insulin, as has been mentioned in my other post. We're going back to the vet tomorrow so it will be interesting to see what he has to say. He did a urine test last week when he was in for his dental cleaning. Apparently something is a little off with his kidneys. My poor little guy!

Thanks again for the encouragement with the home testing.

14. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

good job!

you make a comment that piques my interest though.....your comment about "especially when he's on such a high dose of insulin". can you tell us more about that (i may have missed it somewhere?). what insulin are you using and what is the dose? often the dose is too high, actually causing higher numbers (symogi effect)

if you fill us in a bit and get some more BG numbers in the next few days, we can probably tell you if the dose is too high or not

15. Jay

Jay Member

WAY TO GO!!!

At the very least, you got a number. Small victories can win the war!!!

Dont worry abut his ears too much. Consider this.

I have been testing for the past 4/12 years.

In the past 2 days, I have gone through 35 strips. Each strip used is another poke.

After all this time, Frankies ears have yet to fall off and he can still pretend that he doesnt hear me when I call.

Congrats.
    Jay

16. Christy and Snug

Thanks Jay! All the reassurance and encouragement was a big help.

He's on 6 units of Lantus twice a day. From reading on here it sounds like that dose is much higher than most. I do have a friend with a cat that's been receiving 5 units twice a day for about 4 years so I guess it's not unheard of. I took him to the vet this morning and his BG was 366 which is lower than it's been in months. I'm hoping that with his dental infection treated and clearing up we'll see his BG continue to drop and can lower the insulin dose as well. He has seemed to be feeling better since his dental cleaning and round of antibiotics.

17. Jay

Jay Member

Even though I have been at this for 5 years. I just swiched to Lantus this past Sat. after a long time with PZI Vet which isnt being manufactured any more.

Just keep testing until it becomes routine, collect your data, get to know (it happens over time) how he reacts to any size dose that you are using, at any time of the day.

There are plenty of folks here with more experience using Lantus, then I.

Just remember what testing is all about.
    You keep him safe from shooting at too low a number
    You get to know how Snug reacts to the dose and when.
    You keep him safe from shooting at too low a number
    You will soon know when he needs it by testing.

My vet once told me, that "it is better to have a diabetic cat, then no cat" How true.
    Testing will keep Snug very very safe for a very long time to come.

The first 3 are the most important things to get down.

18. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT whoo hoo you did it so wonderful and the more you and your cat do this together the easier it gets or at least this is how its been with my personal experience

19. Jay

Jay Member

Soon you'll be giving advice on how to test to a newbie, like a pro!!!

Test, Test, Test

Jay

20. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

I'm sure you have enough suggestions already, but here's our routine to add to the mix.
    Good job on getting the first test done :)

After about a month, Odie and I have the testing routine going :) The first week was brutal though, as much for me as for him.

1. warm sock with rice
    2. get kleenex, lancet, vaseline, flashlight ready
    3. get test strip in monitor
    4. wrap Odie tightly in towel - cat burrito, like baby swaddling, making sure one edge gets all the way under his back
    5. sit with wrapped cat across my lap
    6. warm ear, while talking to him and rubbing the scruff of his neck
    7. put small amount of vaseline on ear to make the blood pool better
    8. place ear on flashlight to see the veins (I prick the outside)
    9. prick, get blood on strip
    10. apply pressure to ear between fingers with kleenex for a few seconds, wiping away vaseline at same time
    11. release grip on cat and allow him to get out
    12. give treat/meal

While he certainly does not enjoy it, he does not really struggle to get out of the towel until I release my grip at the end.
    I still sometimes bruise him and feel bad about it, but he seems to forgive me.

We've got over a year's practice at the burrito thing though because that's how I give him pills too.

21. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hi,

Looks like you have a lot of great advice here. I started testing my two cats the beginning of this year. One gave me a real fight at first, but he is so much better now, it's all about the treat and their knowing the routine. Here are a couple things which may be useful--not sure if they've been mentioned yet.

Take advantage of when your cat is sunbathing! The ear is nice and warm and you don't have to annoy them with that sock--obviously the sun isn't always shining when you want but it's a good practice time for you and your cat to get use to it.

I didn't figure this one out till I re-read my lancing device directions. If you are using a lancing device (little gun which does the pricking for you) once you have pushed the release button hold the device against the ear (with a tissue on the other side so you don't prick yourself) with a little pressure for about 3 seconds. This puts a little pressure on the area and can give you a bigger drop of blood. Of course, this is only if the cat is willing.

Hang in there, your cat and you will get use to it and it will one day seem easy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.