Need advice on low test for cat in remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Hey everyone. Haven't been here for a while because my Franklin has been in remission but knew one day I this day might come. I have been sick myself and have called out from work a few days this week. I have to go in today. Because of my budget and his remission, I don't have current test strips. Franklin was throwing up last night and I could tell not feeling good. So I tested him with expired test strips, one AlphaTrack (exp 11/2018)-he got a 150 and one Freestyle Lite (exp 01/2018)--he got a 280. This was around 2:00 or so last night (about 7 hours and 45 minutes ago.) I have a neighbor who has a diabetic dog and I just borrowed some test strips from her that are not expired. He got a 56 on that one about 15 minutes or so ago. I waited until I got the test strips to feed him. He seems to be holding it down so far.
    Just sent a text to the neighbor to see if she has the same codes on the bottle as I had on my Alphatrak strips.

I have to go to work in about 45 minutes since I have called out so much. I will be home in about three hours and can test him again. I think I only borrowed two strips from them. So I am limited on my strips although I am sure I can borrow more.

Hoping I can hold out until Monday to take him to the vet.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Some cats not on insulin can naturally run pretty low, and it is fine. Throwing up and not feeling well is not good, but probably not related to his glucose.

AlphaTrak strips do have different codes, so it is a good idea to confirm what code you should be using with the strips you got.

3. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Okay thanks. He still seems to be holding things down. I will not panic. I will buy some new strips. Was debating on getting Freestyle because I can buy those from a pharmacy today but perhaps will wait and order Alphatrak strips from Amazon so they can be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

Still waiting for neighbor to confirm code on her bottle.

4. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Home on a quick lunch break. The code on my AT2 strips is 7 for cats and my neighbors is 38 for cats. My brother ordered me a new set of AT2 strips to arrive via Amazon by this evening. As far as I can tell, Franklin held down what little he ate for breakfast. He ate a little bit for lunch. So hopefully all is good. Thanks again.

5. FurBabiesMama

So, you would just need to change the code on your meter to match the cat code on her strips (or whatever vial of strips you end up using). The meter always has to be coded for each new vial of strips.

6. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Thanks. I think I got the code changed on the meter. I am going to try and run a curve on him today. So far I have a 261 and then a 233 about two hours later. First one was before he had anything to eat for the day. He seems to be acting mostly normal. The litter box habits seem about the same. This is the first day I'm starting to feel human again after having the crud for about week. He did climb back in bed with me last night. I wondered if has been stressed about me being stressed about being sick.

So deep breath here...if he continues to test in the "yellow" add day, I guess I need to take him into the vet? I imagine they will want to do expensive blood tests to confirm his glucose level?

This will be with a new vet than the one he was originally diagnosed with. The first one put him on Lantus. If he has to go on insulin again, should I push for one over another?

Thanks.

7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Just a thought, if you keep testing him you can probably show the vet all your test results, and he shouldn't need more blood test to check his glucose level but it may not be a bad idea to get a complete blood work just to confirm everything else is ok because all the throwing up

8. FurBabiesMama

Lantus is good. So is Levemir. ProZinc is also good but not as long lasting, so I would go for one of the other two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.