Need advice please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by DebG, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Fritz @+3 79 I gave him a teaspoon of LC FF should I test in 15-20 minutes? Then what if h'es still dropping give him some more LC FF? Like the low numbers but they make me so nervous

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Basically, until you're past nadir, you are going to need to steer the numbers as follows:
    1) feed 1-2 teaspoons of high carb food (or low carb +2-3 drops of Karo or other syrup on it),
    2) wait 20 minutes,
    3) re-test, and repeat as needed
    until past nadir, and rising 3 times in a row

Then shift to low carb to see if he'll stabilize, wait 20 minutes, re-test and re-evaluate.

Also, see How to Handle a Hypo.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, retest in 20 minutes or so

It takes a little time for the carbs to get into the bloodstream

4. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

K I just tested him he's @86 he responds well to the LC FF should I continue with that if he's going up? Or should I give the HC FF gravy lovers just gravy?

5. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Could you please look at his SS and tell me when he hits nadir I'm not sure when he does

6. Chris & China (GA)

As long as he stays above 68 (on the AlphaTrak), just stick with the low carb food

We want to get him surfing without sending him higher than he needs to be

7. Chris & China (GA)

He looks like he usually nadirs around +4 to +6 to me (of course being a cat means he might not continue that pattern :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

K I appreciate the help!!!! Funny thing is I spend tons of time reading and studying all this and as soon as I'm in the situation with it my mind goes blank...
    Thank heavens for all the experienced guidance!!!!!:arghh::cat:
    Thanks for checking the SS:bighug:Surfing we will go.....
    Think I got a handle on this:joyful::nailbiting:

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ain't anxiety just dandy! :rolleyes:

Good catch with the testing, Deb. Fingers and paws crossed for some safe surfin'. Hang ten, Fritz! :cat:

Mogs

10. Chris & China (GA)

OK Fritz....time to show us how good you are at staying up on that surfboard!!!
    surfing cat resized to 350.jpg

Sarah Smith, DebG and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Critter Mom

Got a soundtrack to go with that ...

12. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Funny thing is we talk about the kitties diving and surfing feels like I'm being chased by the big sharks. When I first started all this I could hardly look at a needle let alone pick one up and use them. Now I dive right in....
    Thanks for the vote of confidence....:nailbiting::oops: I could not be doing all this without all the help and support I receive here:bighug:

Sarah Smith and Critter Mom like this.
  13. Critter Mom

You're doing great, Deb! Love the piccie of Fritz, BTW. :cool:

Mogs

DebG likes this.
  14. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I love love your black kitty.... is the kitties name Saoirse? What a very cool name what does it mean?:cat:

15. Critter Mom

I love love her, too, Deb! :) Saoirse is Irish for 'freedom' (rough pronunciation is Seer-shuh).

DebG likes this.
  16. Critter Mom

How goes the work?

17. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

He dropped to 76 @+4 Im going to test him again in 5 minutes

18. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Not good just hit 67 @ +4.5 I gave him some of the FF gravy lovers mixed in with LC FF the only way he'd eat it.

19. Critter Mom

Dose reduction time.

Great job with the monitoring, Deb. How are you holding up? :bighug:

20. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I'm ok a bit nervous. At first he wouldn't eat so I added bonita flakes still walked away so I crumbled up freeze dried chicken (True Bites) then he ate it. My fear is I gave him too much to eat and what if his numbers are still dropping and wont eat, then I use the karo syrup? How much if I have to use it?

21. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I'm excited to do a dose reduction tomorrow! Not sure how much .25 or .50? He's on 4.25 units Prozinc.
    Thank you for hanging in here with me:nailbiting::bighug::bighug:

22. Chris & China (GA)

Don't panic before it happens....remember, although 68 is your "take action" time, it's still not a "dangerously low" number

If he refuses all food and you need to get something into him, rub a few drops of Karo/honey/syrup directly on his gums (I was lucky...China loved maple syrup!)

23. Critter Mom

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

How big a quantity did you feed, Deb?

24. Critter Mom

25. Chris & China (GA)

I'd just reduce by .25.....you don't want to reduce too much and end up going right back up again

Fritz is doing great tonight!!

DebG and Critter Mom like this.
  26. Chris & China (GA)

No, I have to get off here pretty soon. Have to take Mom to the doctor tomorrow morning

27. Critter Mom

OK. Is there anyone else around who could sit with Deb? (I'm not in great shape at the mo and I'm worried about not being able to go the distance.)

28. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

I'm hoping he hit his nadiar and that he'll be going back up. I think too much 1 oz is my guess I got carried away hopefully that much will take the BG higher Im going to test him now

29. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Ok he hit 95 praying the worst is over;)

30. Chris & China (GA)

I'll be here for about another half hour @Critter Mom

Don't give him any more food for now and retest in 30

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

32. Chris & China (GA)

@DebG .....you should try "stacking" your numbers so they can remain in the correct cell

If you look at China's spreadsheet for 4/12 (AM cycle) you'll see what I mean

You just put ## SPACE @ SPACE +4 (or +4.5 or whatever) and then manually color the cell by going to the icons along the top of the page and clicking on the one that looks like a small can of paint tipping over. Choose the color that goes with the lowest number in the cell

Critter Mom likes this.
  33. Critter Mom

Thanks, Chris. I'm about to pass out.

Deb, I'll leave you in Chris's safe hands. Glad to see Fritz is rising; you're doing a great job of minding him. I'm so sorry I can't stay longer with you tonight (I can't control my sleeping :( ). I'll check in with you both tomorrow. :bighug:

Mogs

34. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Your a God send!!!! Get some much need sleep!!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Chris thank you I was going to ask how to do that I was putting all the info into the comment area

36. Critter Mom

Will do. Blessings to you both. :bighug:

37. Chris & China (GA)

Get to bed Mogs!!

There's always more to do tomorrow, so we need you here and healthy!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. Critter Mom

Nite, Chris! :)

39. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Chris I'm hoping to not to have to take much more of your precious evening. I'm hoping this next reading will again be on the way up

40. Chris & China (GA)

Well, we'd like him to just surf right where he's at and not drop back down! That would be great! Just remember, all this time he's in normal numbers, his pancreas can heal!!

You're not taking up my evening....I'm waiting to get a +7 on a certain white kitty I know and love before I call it a night ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
  41. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

If at AMPS he's nowhere near 200 and I wait 20 minutes do I test again after 20 mins if not high enough to shoot do I skip or still do the 4 units?

42. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

China is so pretty, beautiful eyes..... how much does your kitty weight? Fritz was 28.7 pounds dropped to 25 and now is holing at that weight. I have about 13 minutes and I'll test him again

43. Chris & China (GA)

If he's nowhere near 200, you'd want to stall, don't feed and retest in 20-30 minutes to see if he's on his way up....If he's still not close to 200, it depends on if you're going to be able to continue stalling for awhile and going to be home and able to test

Use that "stall" time to post and ask for help....don't be afraid to use the 911 prefix if you have to, but usually if you just make your subject line really clear (like "HELP!! Do I shoot??) someone should check in with you. You can always change your subject line once you have the help you need.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  44. Chris & China (GA)

China started out weighing less than 8lbs....that's how I knew she was really sick and got the diabetes diagnosis since she should weigh about 14lbs. I was expecting her to be hyperthyroid, not diabetic!! (didn't know anything about diabetes in cats back then....never even occurred to me that it could happen!!)

Now she's a little uh...."too fluffy" and needs to lose weight to get back down to about 14lbs!!...she's my little chunkette at this point

If you look at her Profile link, you'll see how bad she looked at diagnosis

45. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Ok I'm going to test Fritz now do I continue to feed him a little bit or at what point do I stop feeding?

46. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Yikes only 97 after half an hour what next

47. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

at least its up not down

48. Chris & China (GA)

That's still a great number....I wouldn't feed him anymore and just test again in 30 minutes

If he's still surfing in the 90's or on his way up at that point, get one more test an hour later and if he's still doing OK then, you can call it a night I think

If he drops back down again, give another teaspoon or two of low carb food and start over

You want him surfing or going up for at least 2 hours from the last time he got food.

49. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Great I can do this... a billion thanks your way. Good night to Chris & China.....:bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  50. Chris & China (GA)

tonight is actually a darn good cycle for ProZinc (at least this early in!) We don't use ProZinc, but it's my understanding that starting out around 200 and dropping by 50% at nadir is pretty darn good!!

There's more information on the ProZinc method we use HERE (including what to do with low pre-shot numbers)

I hate to leave you, but between a diabetic cat that keeps me up all night and an 86 year old mother that keeps me running all day, I have to try to sleep sometime!

If you run into trouble, don't be afraid to use that 911

I think that he'll probably bounce at some point, so don't be disappointed if he's a lot higher in the morning. It's all part of the sugardance....but for now, I think you're really close to his nadir and he should be just fine for the rest of the night

DebG likes this.
  51. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Have a restful sleep again thanks a million blessings to you and your mother......:bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  52. Critter Mom

Hi Deb,

All OK?

Mogs

53. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Busy night Deb! Great job keeping him steady :bighug: Hows your boy this morning?

54. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Yes we were busy last night... Off to a busy start again today @ 6:00 am AMPS 209 gave him 4 units @+1.5 150 looks like he's going to have a repeat of last night

55. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Yes long night were off to a busy start this morning looks like a repeat of last night

Critter Mom likes this.
  56. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

:nailbiting: Maybe hes wanting to work his way down on dosing, could be a good thing, nailbiting, but good!

57. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

LOL that would be fine with me I'll take the nail biting:mad:! How's Cooter doing?

58. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

He was good this morning, threw me a nice 219 so we didnt have to stall at all. Wish I was home during the week, still dont like leaving him alone. My mom comes around noon and gives him some food and loving, so hes happy :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  59. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

It's easier when you get a nice shootable number.
    That's nice that your mom can help out with him:).
    We have a roofing company and in years past I was always on the job site working, now that Fritz has FD I rarely am away from him. My poor husband is feeling left out these last few months. I'm going to have to make him a very special dinner .
    Fritz is not sliding down to double digits yet and its been +4.

60. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Hoping he will surf along :) I like that nice transition from pinks to yellows on his PS numbers, hes trending down :)

DebG likes this.
  61. Chris & China (GA)

Wow....Fritz is looking good today!!

He never did really bounce from last night's shenanigans either!

You did great last night...but I'm betting you could use a nap this afternoon too;)

DebG likes this.
  62. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Im so proud of Fritz he was a trooper.
    Yes Im exhausted something I bet your all you are all too familiar with.
    Im thrilled he didn't bounce.
    Hes doing great today. He was doing do goodgood I took off for 4 hours andand worked on a roof project our business is contracted to do.
    So since he didnt lower to double digits he hasn't earned another deduction right.
    So now I wait and see where he's at PMPS.
    I'm starting tostarting to feel a bit more comfortable with thiswith this dance:blackeye:

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  63. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Sorry about spelling Im on cell phone typing without glasses on and this silly auto correct

Critter Mom and Sarah Smith like this.
  64. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

I do the same thing, get tired of editing my posts, but everyone seems to get the jist :cat:

Edit: just looked at Fritz's spreadsheet, beautiful run today!! Give him some scritches from me :D

Critter Mom and DebG like this.
  65. Chris & China (GA)

He had a great day today Deb!

Don't worry about spelling and auto-correct...we speak pretty good gibberish around here....LOL

66. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Chris question? How do I get the numbers to be white in the blocks I add too I noticed they are black

67. Chris & China (GA)

Just to the left of that little paint can is the letter "A"....click there and choose the white color....the "A" is for the text color

DebG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.