Need advice very sick cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Judyneed, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judyneed

Judyneed New Member

My 8 yr old male cat was diagnosed with feline diabetes in July 2018. He was put on novolin n 3u two times a day. In Oct 2018 the vet raised his dose to 3.5u two times a day. This whole time he has not been getting better. I recently bought a home b/g meter and did a 12 hour curve at home. I took it to my vet and he agreed to change his insulin. Now that I am armed with a home testing meter I am ready to try a low carb diet. He currently eats a variety of fancy feast and friskies can food along with purina one dry food. He recently had blood and urine tests done at the vet. The vet said they both look good. What would be the best insulin to switch to? And where do I start with a low carb diet? Thank you all.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It is important to be testing BEFORE you change overto a low carb diet , as the blood sugars can drop significantly when they come off the dry food.. I see you have started testing ...that is great !!

Don't change the food AND the insulin over at the same time..do the food first, then do the insulin

Here is a link to our spreadsheet where you can document the blood sugars.. this will help us help you.. we can't help much without seeing theses numbers......
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Here is a link to food charts.....choose the ones suited to your country.. choose a canned food that is 10% or less carbs..a lot feed fancy feast pâtés and friskies but there are many others to choose from..also get some higher carb food to use if your kitty drops low. Choose a couple with about 16 % carbs and a couple with about 22 % carbs.. also have some honey or Karo on hand in case of a hypo..
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/links-to-food-charts.174182/

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good longer lasting insulins for cats are Lantus, Levemir and Prozinc.

You might want to take your email address off your signature. Unfortunately there are people who will take advantage of it being public.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Why did your vet wait so long to tell you to change the diet??? That should have been day 1! Crazy. Well now that you know what to do we can help. No more dry food. Fancy feast classic or Friskies pate are fine. No gravy at all unless the cats numbers drop low. ProZinc, lantus and levemir have the best rates of succes.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I also recommend that you lower the dose at the same time you remove the dry from your cat's diet. Removing the dry food will most likely drop the glucose levels. By lowering the dose at the same time you reduce the risks of hypoglycemia. I have never used Novolin but my feeling is that you should only give 1 to 1 1/2 units until you know how the diet change works.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.