My Bella was diagnosed 12/23/17. Sorry this is so long.....She had been acting “off” and had lost weight after a diet change. ( One cat in my three cat household was diagnosed with bladder stones and put on a prescription diet for urinary health/ weight loss). I figured ( ha ha) it would be easier to put all of my cats on this diet. I made the transition slowly. Bella did not tolerate this diet at all. She started vomiting. I put her back on the old food. ( dried Iams sensitive stomach supplemented by canned friskies Pate) Her diagnosis came 24 hours after her brother had emergency surgery for bladder/ urethra stones precipitated by the diet change. Her blood glucose in the office was 410. The fructosamine came back the following day at 510 The vet sent us home with syringes and vetsulin. She got 1 unit in the office. And later that evening 1 unit from us. We were told not to bother with testing her glucose levels at home. ( I was thinking.... what????) After her second dose of insulin she refused to eat and looked lethargic/ eyes dialated. We took her to the emergency vet. She spent 12 hours being monitored and on glucose. Her levels averaged about 216. They sent her home off insulin. We returned to her regular vet several days later (The was over the Christmas holiday). We put her on a low carb high protein canned diet. We decided to do glucose levels at home to monitor her. It took a bit to get the hang of it. Her levels started off about 141, got as low as 86.. but then seemed to average in the 200’s. She’s done ok on the diet. Eats 1- 2 cans fancy feast classic per day... 4-6 small meals. I saw a new vet a couple of days ago who comes to the house and seems more familiar with feline diabetes. She recommended Lantus insulin if she needed it. I ordered it yesterday. She recommended keeping her off insulin unless her blood glucose is higher than 300. ( she has been as low as 80 and as high as 289). I have noticed that she seems “off” when her blood glucose is lower than 215.. no appetite and seems less energetic. When she is 240 or above she eats and seems to feel better. Long winded as it is... my question is: Am I doing the right thing by keeping her off insulin? Is there something else I should be doing? Checking ketones in urine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!