Need An Expert -my cat died

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jesmar, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesmar

jesmar New Member

My cat was taken to the emg room and died after a few days and I'm wondering if there is an expert on Lantus and feline diabetes here that I can contact by phone. I have some real concerns about whether I did anything to hurt him. Is it ever possible to reach a vet or a vet tech by phone?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I am saddened by by the loss of your cat. You should always be able to talk to the vet. You may have to talk to the vet's office to schedule a suitable time. This is a peer reviewed group and it is usually best for discussions to be in the open vice private.

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss (((((Jesmar))))). Fly free sweet kitty. wings_cat

4. ceil99

ceil99 Member

OH NO!!! rb_icon

I was wondering what happened. I didn't see your post after you took him to the ER. Were they still giving him fluids? What happened?

You can talk here if you wish.

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty :cry: From the looks of your other thread, it doesn't look like you did anything wrong. The advise the vet was giving you was a bit off from what most of us hear, but we don't know the specifics of what your kitty needed at that time either. The important thing to remember is that your kitty is no longer suffering wings_cat

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

So VERY sorry for your loss.
    Jeanne

7. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Oh no :( I'm so sorry. Look a lot of things happened there. If your cat never had ketones before, how would you know it was prone to them? It sounds like there was a lot of confusion between the ER vet and taking him home and the regular vet. DKA can really go down hill fast and especially if there was Hepatic lipidosis involved. I'm so sorry things went badly. You took him back to the vet. We can't know what went on there. I'm really sorry this all just went badly. DKA is just very serious. There were obviously underlying issues. I feel so very badly for you.

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

((((jesmar)))) I am so sorry for your loss. I remember your earlier post and it is so sad to hear that at the ER your kitty got worse, sometimes that is just what happens with DKA. When you stopped the insulin, your cat continued to act well and get good #s, so how would you know a problem was about to surface? Other people have taken their cats off insulin for one reason or another, or delayed starting insulin after a diagnosis, or have had cats unregulated for long periods of time (myself included!), and were just lucky I guess that their cats did not get DKA.

I understand your wanting to get an expert take on it, but you (and I, and lots of vets even!) are not an expert in feline diabetes, so even if things could have been done differently, how would you have known that without being an expert yourself? My experience with my own cats who have died is that in hindsight sometimes there are things I would do differently, but at the time I always did what felt right in my heart to do. If I was wrong, well, I guess I'm human. Please don't torture yourself with "what ifs" (I know that is easier said than done). Sometimes things just happen the way they happen, and it s*cks.

You may also want to post over on the Grief forum, there may be additional support there that you might find helpful.

Fly free sweet little one... wings_cat

9. jesmar

jesmar New Member

Someone said I could contact a vet for a consultation -Dr. Lisa. I found an E-mail address for her. Does she do consults after cats have died? I am so sad. I honestly don't think my heart could be broken harder. Nothing has ever hurt this much.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

DR. Lisa does do phone consults. I don't know her fee, but you can send her an email and discuss with her directly.

11. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. I hope you find the peace of mind you need. After my beloved little dog died very suddenly, I made an appointment with my vet just to sit and talk through what had happened. He was very kind. Perhaps that would help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.