Need better Lancets please help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by seamist, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seamist

seamist Member

My lancets are not working right. I had to poke 20 times today to get enough blood for the Relion Micro. Sasha's ears do bleed each time, but the drop is too small. How do I find a lancet that will give a little bit bigger drop. Maybe one that is not ultra-fine. Please tell me the name of the lancet and where to buy it. I am in Minnesota USA.

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    First, I rub the ears until they are a bit rosy, then blow at his face so he shakes his head. This actually really helps...
    Some warm the ears with a rice filled sock from the MW to ^ flow.

Does your lancet pen have a clear cap option? I find any pink looking area, not just the edge, and hold gentle pressure down on the pen for a good 2-3 seconds before I pop it, AND a good 2-3 seconds after I pop it. This pressure seems to make it bleed much better and the clear cap makes it so I can see how much blood I have.

Meters vary a lot in how much blood they use. If it has Micro in the name, I guess it uses less than 1 Microliter?

Someone else posted this link yesterday and it may be helpful.
    Consumer Reports on Meters:
    http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest

Good luck! :smile:

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

4. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

maybe u could contact the company, should have a phone number or web address on the packaging/instructions, they may be able to tell u if u have the right lancets too.

I would also say the booklet will mention the right lancets to use, but then again, they would be in reference for human use.

5. Michele and Peeps

Michele and Peeps Member

Have you tried doing two quick pokes close to each other? Usually when I poke twice at least one hole will produce enough blood with a little bit of massage. Sometimes I have to use both the beads to fill up the strip.

I just switched to Relion's ultra-thin lancet types. Is this the type you are using?

6. seamist

seamist Member

Could someone please give me the name of some lancets that are not ultrathin? (Mine all say ultrathin) I would like some that are less thin. The Relion Micro is supposed to use .3 micro liters of blood, but I think it needs more.

7. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I used mine freehanded and would turn them a bit before taking them out. That seemed to open up the whole a bit. And Sundance's ears were never bruised or scabbed. I also poked a couple of times in the same area to get a few small drops to pool into one.

Your pharmacy carries the lancets... I'm sure if you went into them and told them what you needed, they'd tell you what they had that would help.

8. Nancy and Cody

http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... ncets.html

This is the page that describes all the lancets available at hocks.com (notice the green box at the top of your page, they support the FDMB)

There are several of them that are 26 guage, the ultra-fine ones are 33 guage I think.

hope that helps, and I'm sure your local pharmacy could help you.

9. seamist

seamist Member

I looked on the webpage you provided. thank you. But I don't see where it lists the gauge.

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Here's a site that lists dozens of types of lancets and sizes...

Lancet examples

I'm not sure if you have to order from the net or not... lancets are relatively inexpensive at the shops. So, you might want to tell your pharmacist that you want the thicker lancets and let them tell you what you have. You can phone around and ask if they have what you decide what you want just in case not all the shops carry all the sizes.

11. Nancy and Cody

from Hocks: Prodigy and Vitalcare ( the last one) say they are 26 gauge. click on them to enlarge the view.

If you go that route, be sure to click on the box at the top first so it helps FDMB.
    If you're in a hurry, drive to the pharmacy. :D

12. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I had difficulty when I first started testing. Someone pointed me to One Touch Fine Point Lancets. They really work. They are in a blue box and the lancets are purple.

13. Martica and Fred

Martica and Fred Member

I found that the ultra fine lancets don't work either. What works best for me are the OTU light blue/gray blue lancets that are reuglar (not the white ultra fine). And they all seem to slip in the pen very easily except for these.

14. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I use the ReliOn micro. There are about 3 types of ReliOn lancets out there for about $3 for 100. I get the 29's I think it is. They are the "fattest". When you go to buy them just look or ask the pharmacist. They are out there.

15. tajana340

tajana340 Member

I use the Relion 30 gauge ultra thin lancets and I get good resiults. Just one poke is all it does and is enough blood for the Relion Micro meter. I also bought the Relion 26 gauge thin lancets but they seem to hurt Spicey. I feel like the 26 gauge gives too much blood.

David

16. tajana340

tajana340 Member

Also I took the lid off the lancet and free hand it because i didn't get anything with the lid on the Relion Lancet. Little trick I learned in about a day.

17. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

I also freehand -- I don't insert the lancet into the pen, just twist the cap off and poke. About half the time, I have to 'milk' the spot for a moment after (use my thumbs to press quickly and repeatedly inward to puncture) to get enough blood, but Gwyn's pretty good about holding her head still for that. If your cat flicks it's ears and you lose the blood, you can try scraping it onto your fingernail and then using that drop for testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.