? Need better understanding about feeding

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HillaryKitten, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HillaryKitten

HillaryKitten Member

I need some help understanding how feeding affects BG, when the cat is hypo we feed to bring up the BG, but, I've also noticed that when my cat's BG is high - I can feed her and bring her numbers down in 2-3hours. So how does all of this work

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For the cat OFF insulin, feeding will trigger the pancreas to release insulin which then brings the glucose level down.

For the cat ON insulin, feeding tends to induce a slight glucose spike within about 2 hours after eating. As the insulin begins to take effect, the glucose will gradually lower until the nadir, then rise back up.

HillaryKitten likes this.
  3. HillaryKitten

HillaryKitten Member

Thanks, I was missing the part about the cat being OFF or ON insulin

4. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Trish - I read your comment on your SS about adjusting Hillary's eating schedule to help manage her BG levels and I think you are spot on. The fact that her BG values go lower a few hours after eating do tell you that her pancreas has some function. I just finished an OTJ trial and Genghis is officially off insulin -- I did notice that her BG would fall a few hours after eating. I feed her multiple times through the day, smaller meals to keep from overwhelming her pancreas. She loves a bit of warm water mixed into the food, too. She would hardly finish a portion before I started making a slurry out of it.

HillaryKitten likes this.
  5. HillaryKitten

HillaryKitten Member

Congratulations on Genghis!! and thanks for your comments, I started giving Hillary smaller more often meals yesterday and started to see a difference in her numbers. I need to get a timed to feeder to help when I'm at work and through the night but I'm very optimistic that this will be the answer to keeping her off insulin :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.