Need creative ideas for urine catch

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by evakot, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evakot

evakot Member

Hi All,

I was given a task to "catch a urine sample" from my cat by my vet. I've spent literally the whole day hovering over my cat, making sure I don't miss "the golden opportunity"- huh, huh. :D I was given plastic litter (about 1 cup) by my vet, but my cat looked at me like: "are you kidding me? you want me to pee in THAT?" when I offered the box to him, and he was holding out for hours and wouldn't go (it probably smells like the vet). So I thought I was clever cause I decided to slide a flat plastic top from a Glade box under him as he was peeing in his regular litter. However, he has long, dark hair, especially around his tail and backside, so I couldn't really see if the pee was going on the plastic top or not. Some did go on it, but overall the sample was too small and got contaminated with litter pellets that quickly soaked even the small amount that I got in. WHAT A PAIN!!!! Now will have to wait several hours or maybe even till tomorrow to try again.

Anyway- can you guys share some ideas for how to get it done? My cat is very "private" and was really miffed that I'm even close to him while he is trying to go.

Thanks,

Eva

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Re: Need creative ideas for clean urine catch

I use a large soup ladle to catch urine from behind my cat. Just FYI, if you are doing the "clean catch" to do a urine culture to test for a UTI, it won't be clean enough for that purpose. It is very likely to be contaminated, as much as you try to keep it clean.

3. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Eva,

What reason did your vet give you for not doing a sterile sample in his office?

I've never had to catch a sample - when mine need u/a or culture, the vet always gets the sterile sample using the needle.

A couple of times I had to leave a cat there during the day if their bladder was empty when we went in, but they usually produce by the end of the day.
    Pam

4. evakot

evakot Member

Hey,

Yes- I misspoke. I just need a urine sample, not necessarily "clean." Reposted without the "clean" in title. Thanks for pointing it out.

e

5. evakot

evakot Member

Hi Pam,

The reason was that my cat's bladder was completly empty, she said. She did suggest leaving him there- but I couldn't do this to him- he is traumatized by vet offices and was trembling from fear. Couldn't leave him there knowing how stressed he is. So she said catch it at home and bring it in. Easier said than done... Sigh.

e

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Then there are more options. We used aquarium gravel - replaced the litter with it and put him in a room until he went. (He would not go while we were watching....) Other people have had success putting a piece of saran wrap in the litter. Scoop a place out, put the wrap in and cover up the edges with litter. Apparently some cats like to go on the saran wrap.....

7. evakot

evakot Member

How do you fit it under your cat? Do you put less litter in the box? Sorry for being technical, but my cat's bottom is like less than half an inch above the litter when he goes, a ladle won't fit, I'm afraid...

E

8. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I just stick it between his legs. The bottom of the ladle is resting in the litter. Once he has settled into the position, he allows me to sneak it in there.

9. mooreay

mooreay New Member

hi all,

The aquarium gravel works -- I like the idea that a TV vet came up -- use two cheap litters trays - one inside the other - top one is holed in lots of places with a small nail and a hammer and filled with the gravel and acts as a colander - bottom one catches the urine.

10. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

catch in hand. wash hand with plenty of soap afterwards :razz:

wcf
    ~ expert pee catcher :mrgreen:

ps - advantage of this is you know for sure if you've placed correctly and where the urine is going ;-)

11. evakot

evakot Member

That's a great idea! Will get some tomorrow and give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

12. Kim 'n Shadow

Kim 'n Shadow Well-Known Member

Hi evakot - when I was faced with your dilemma, I stretched plastic wrap across half of the kitty box and Shadow just squatted over it, leaving a little puddle in the middle. Low tech, but worked for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.