? Need dosing advice asap

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Squallie's PMPS BG is 170. I don't know whether to go ahead and feed him, and give him a lower dose, or stall to see if his BG rises. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

2. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Lucy wish I could help. Squallie really keeps you on your toes, doesn't he? Hoping someone will be along very soon! Just wanted to say thinking of you (and Genghis' soul brother!)

3. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Melanie! Yes, never a dull moment around here, lol. How is Squallie's soul brother doing?

EDIT: Squallie's soul sister!

4. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

She's doing really well, thanks! Not as exciting as Squallie but ... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

Sometimes a little less excitement is a good thing! :)

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Lucy, don't know about Vetsulin, but with ProZinc, don't feed, stall 20 and retest until it comes up to your shooting number.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

What is Squallies lowest shot number. Bubba is about 175-180

8. Squalliesmom

That's what I usually do, but his numbers have been so crazy lately I wasn't sure he'd even come up to a shootable level. He finally came up to 181 but I don't know how much insulin to give him.

9. Squalliesmom

I've shot as low as 160 but at a reduced dose. But lately it seems like even a reduced dose is taking him very low, so I don't know.

10. Bobbie And Bubba

Are you planning to reduce the dose tonight since he went so low today and now he has a PMPS that is low? Again, I don't know how vetsulin works. With ProZinc, I would reduce some tonight because of the above and also, they tend to run lower at night.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

Go with what your gut tells you but I think I would reduce for sure. It seems like the insulin stayed on board the 2nd 1/2 of the cycle, no bouncing.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  12. Bobbie And Bubba

Where are the Vetsulin peeps when you need them??

Squalliesmom likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

I finally decided to give him .75 units, I can monitor him at night so if he starts to get too low I will catch it. Fingers and paws crossed that he just sails through the night with lovely green numbers, lol, right?

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing great, Lucy. And so is Squallie. He is using less and less insulin and getting lovely numbers. And the Vetsulin is lasting a full 12 hours. Best of all possible worlds.

@Bobbie And Bubba - for the future. Vetsulin acts very similar to ProZinc. The only difference is that sometimes it doesn't last 12 hours - more like 8 - and sometimes it has a harsh onset. So it's important to make sure they have food in their tummies before the shot. But, for Squallie, it is acting just like ProZinc, so any advice you give is right on!

15. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Lucy, how did Squallie do last night? I hope you weren't up all night testing him and were able to get some sleep!

16. Squalliesmom

Hi Shane. He did pretty well last night! He was a little high this AM and his Vetsulin seems to have kicked in late today, so he may be low at PMPS. But I'm lovin' those nice greens he's been getting!

Bobbie And Bubba and granadilla like this.
  17. Squalliesmom

Well, looks like tonight is going to be a repeat of last night. PMPS was 178, stalled 1/2 hr, BG was 173. So I just went ahead and fed everybody, and I'll reduce Squallie's dose again tonight! Fingers crossed for reasonable #s in the AM.

LindyKindy, granadilla and Sharon14 like this.
  18. Bobbie And Bubba

Look at Squallie go!! Here's a cup of coffee for you Lucy! :coffee: Here's hoping you get a nice result.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  19. Squalliesmom

Thank you! As always, coffee much appreciated, lol. :)

20. Bobbie And Bubba

Nice AMPS! Way to go Squallie! What did you dose this AM? He is doing great Lucy!!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  21. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Bobbie! I'm loving those nice greens! Don't want to make too big a deal out of it, afraid I'll jinx it somehow, lol. I gave Squallie another .75 this morning, but I think some of it ended up being a fur shot. :oops: I just hope he got enough to have another good day in the greens, fingers and paws crossed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.