? Need Dosing advice - BG 513 at AMPS, now +6 at 246

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Nov 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey there! Sorry we haven't been around earlier...holiday weekends are pretty slow in our forum. :)

I won't be around when you decide to shoot, though someone may be. I think if he's at 200 or above, I'd stick with the 2 units. I feel like this morning's number was an anomaly...could be a bounce, could be some some sort of contraband he found, could be "oh look a squirrel!" syndrome. It's definitely out of character for him though.

When will you be able to get more test strips?

3. shelaghc

One possibility I wondered about is that I closed the door to all three of my kids last night. I was exhausted and my middle furkid was keeping me awake. Thing is, I *never* close them out of my bedroom. I wondered if Jester got stressed out because of that.

My vet gave me his personal email address and I think I've been driving him a little crazy this weekend. Today is the second time that I've bugged him about Jester's BG numbers. I feel like I need to get a handle on the whole "taking Jester's BG numbers" faster than this or he'll get pissed at me. (Vet isn't all that thrilled about me doing my own testing to begin with....)

I'm supposed to get some test strips in the mail tomorrow. SarahNOLA is sending them to me from the Supply Closet..

4. shelaghc

And thanks for the reply. It's very much appreciated.

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Could definitely be that change that upped the BG number. Honestly, there's no way to tell...and I really wouldn't worry about it. (I know, it's easy for ME to say that :p). Honestly, since it's out of the normal pattern, it could be anything or a combo of things...but there's no way to know for sure, and unless it becomes more normal, I'd treat it as a one off.

If you're worried about bugging your vet, feel free to post here whenever. We were pretty quiet this weekend due to the holiday (and just the weekend), but we almost always have someone around during normal weeks...or at least at some point during the day we do. I'm usually super early morning (due to work) and sometimes super early evening...and there are others who are often around during the daytime. You may not get an immediate reply, but we try to get back to you as soon as possible. And heck, even if we get back to you late and your vet has replied already, we're still happy to explain what we would do and why to help you learn. That's how we all learned too!

Djamila and shelaghc like this.
  6. shelaghc

I'm hoping to leave my vet alone for a couple of days. While he can see some of the value of home testing, if I constantly nag him about Jester's numbers and panic about them, that won't reflect well on the whole thing. And he might get a negative impression for the next person who might approach him about learning to home test.

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Rachel gave you some good advice. And great job home testing. It can make all the difference for our sugar cats! What time will you be testing in the morning so we can try to keep an eye out for you? It looks like he's bouncing around a lot right now. What is he eating these days?

shelaghc likes this.
  8. shelaghc

Next testing for today is in less than half an hour at 9:00PM. That's the most important one right now for me as I'm worried about his dosage. He's due to get 2U and if he's under 200BG, I'm concerned 2 might be too much.

Morning test will be at about 7:00ish in the morning. I have to leave for work at about 8:15AM and will need to get Jester squared away by about 8:00AM.

That high AMPS scared the crap out of me so I've been encouraging him to eat more FF Roasted Turkey today, although he's also eaten some Friskies Liver and Chicken. And he snuck a little bit of the higher carb food one of my other cats eats - Friskies Shreds. Not a lot - probably less than a tablespoon.

Thing is, some anecdotal evidence seems to indicate he's sensitive to carbs. Some of his highest numbers (not including this morning) have been after he's eaten medium carb foods.

9. shelaghc

PMPS is 391.

I'm going to not worry about four hour testing tonight.

Thanks so much for being around and hand-holding me!

I'll check in tomorrow with Jester's AMPS.

Djamila likes this.
  10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. I think you're right about the carbs. Eating carbs is one of the most common causes of bouncing numbers for our kitties. Even just a couple pieces of kibble or a nibble of higher carb food can send our kitties soaring or diving for a few cycles afterwards. The easiest thing to do is to transition all of your kitties onto low carb food if you can. If that isn't possible, then eating in different rooms with closed doors, and then picking up any leftovers and putting them away. Carbs are kryptonite for our kitties around here. Some kitties do okay up to 10%, most seem to do better closer to 5%.

Also, I might be reading it wrong, but it sounds like your test/dosing time isn't quite 12 hours. Is that right? If so, is there any way you can get it to be a 12-hour schedule? (and I apologize if you've already talked through this with folks and your schedule just doesn't allow it - please know I understand how complicated scheduling can be and am not just trying to be bossy :)) As the prozinc wears off toward the end of the cycle, numbers can rise quite quickly. Which means a pre-shot test after 12 hours can seem really really high, while one a bit early can be surprisingly low. If there's no way to be on a 12 hour cycle, just being as consistent as you can with whatever schedule you have will help, and then making sure when folks are offering advice that they know you're not on a standard schedule so they can factor that in.

I'll probably be around starting at about 7:30 your time, and Kris and Rachel are up before then, so hopefully if you need anything someone will be around in the morning.

11. shelaghc

My sleep schedule has been wonky for several days - that's why the variations on Jester's insulin times.
    Plus, I have a class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have to leave by 4:30PM and don't get home sometimes until after 9:00PM. MWF, I work from 8:30AM until 6:30ishPM.
    I went to a party on Friday evening, leaving at about 6:30. That's why the BG was so early. Both of Jester's vets told me the Prozinc allowed for a one to two hour lateness, so to speak.

The mid-day testing has been at the behest of the vet, who has previously asked for BG at the four to five hour mark after insulin.

12. shelaghc

AMPS was eith 236 or 263.
    The meter is in the bathroom with one of my civvies who needs to be isolated so she doesn't eat everyone else's food.
    All is moderately well this AM.

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  13. shelaghc

And now Jester isn't eating. He barely ate anything this morning. I'm home for lunch and he's nibbling a bit.

Also the vet, as I expected, thinks I'm over-testing. He says a curve isn't necessary because of all the tests I've already done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.