Need dosing advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Biskey, May 6, 2019.

1. Biskey

Biskey New Member

Biskey was diagnosed Feb 2019.
    had her on 1 unit for a month then did curve (3/6/19) curve showed really low number vet had her moved to 1/2 dose did curve 3 weeks later (3/24/19) numbers looked good but vet thought they were still low so wanted to try her off insulin. kept her on no insulin for 2 weeks curve on (4/7/19) numbers weren't horrible but still high vet wanted to try 1/2 does 1 time a day here her number started getting really erratic curve looked okay at (4/23/19) but evening feeding number looked bad. on 5/2/19 she accidentally got a hold of a large amount of kibble and she has been high ever since I tried going back to 1/2 dose 2 times a day but doesn't seem to be making a difference should I be trying 1 dose again ? did curve today but numbers still don't really look good. if any experienced poster could give advice that would be great I'm not sure about my vet's advice at the moment I feel like she should have stayed at 1/2 dose 2 times a day that is when we had her best numbers.

Thank you please let me know if anything is unclear.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've had quite a ride - and maybe a vet that doesn't quite understand how insulin works. ;)

Here's what I would suggest: getting curves is helpful from time to time, but what really let's us know how Biskey is doing is the regular mid-cycle numbers from day to day. If you can get just one mid-cycle test in each cycle, and maybe a couple of tests on the weekends, we'll have a better idea what is going on. If you work all day, then see if you can shift shot time so that you can get at least a +2 or +3 before you leave in the morning. Or conversely, give the injection right as you leave the house, and then if you can make it home by +9 or +10, and grab a test then. Then at night, grab a test very last thing before you fall asleep so it's as let into the PM cycle as you can get it.

The reason we need more consistent data is that one cycle can be deceiving. Sometimes a cat will dive for a single cycle, but really it's a good dose. Or sometimes they'll stay high and flat for a couple of cycles. So seeing data over time is really important.

Now for some other questions: Is there any chance he's getting into other food? Does he go outside? Have other pets in the house? lick plates? What about other health problems? How long since his last dental? Does he have any inflammation of the gums? Arthritis? Constipation? What kind of treats does he get? Is he still eating fancy feast classic?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  3. Biskey

Biskey New Member

doesn't go outside, there is another cat but that food will only open for other cat she does hang out a lot at the sink we clean off our plates but maybe not well enough that might be something to improve. no other issues we can see and only treats i give her are freeze dried chicken breast when i do her testing. she is still eating fancy feast classic. Ill try to get mid-cycle reads

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

And no other health issues? Has she had her teeth cleaned this year?

5. Biskey

Biskey New Member

no other issues. we don't do teeth cleanings vet checks teeth every year and we give the tar reducing treats every few days.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Have you done any ketone tests? I also think you need to stick to twice a day dosing. The reason behind this is because cats tend to have higher metabolism that use it up faster than a human. Do your syringes have half unit markings? 0.25U increments could benefit since she was doing pretty well on 0.50U :)

What kind of tar reducing treats are you giving? Be very specific :bookworm:

Djamila likes this.