need drooler diet advice asap

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen & Squeak, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

My neurotic dog started peeing on the carpet this weekend. We took in a urine sample and apparently there are crystals...she has had recent urine tests and blood work and all was well then.

What is appropriate treatment? I trust my vet quite a bit but not always when it comes to nutrition. The receptionist mentioned diet change which made me cringe..

Thanks in advance

Jen

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

How was the urine sample taken and how long before it was taken and the microscopic examination made for crystals? If not a fresh sample crystals can form which are not representative in the actual urine. What kind of crystals were they - struvite (sometimes called triple phosphate) or oxalate? Was anthing else found in the urine such as bacteria, white blood cells, red blood cells?

3. Jen & Squeak

Free catch, looked at right away. Struvite and amphorous crystals, tons of crud and white blood cells. Urine is getting cultured. Treating with antib's and more water...hoping the infection caused the crystals otherwise will do labs and possibly xray..

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sounds like you and vet are on the right track.

5. Jen & Squeak

Thanks Larry. Was posting via blackberry while commuting so had to be brief. I was panicking at first thinking that they were going to try and push a diet change but we're hoping that the UTI is the culprit behind the stones. Here's hoping!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.