Need good healing vines for civie Peanut

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melanie and Smokey, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Just got home from the vet with my baby (12yrs old). She's been losing weight and started getting really lazy, sleeping all the time and away from everyone.

The weight loss wasn't as severe as it seemed, she's only down about half a pound since last Nov and still over what she was the year before that. Guess she was just losing the gain from the change to wet food and she's wearing it better because she just feels and looks so much smaller.

They found fluid on her lungs. They couldn't get all the x-rays they planned or enough blood to do all the bloodwork they wanted to do because she fought them so much. Poor baby was limping and could hardly walk up the stairs, they blew the veins in both legs trying to get the blood. They stopped because they didn't want to stess her more when they could see her breathing was labored.

I am so worried. Praying its a simple infection or cold and not the big scaries mentioned like heart disease or cancer. We are on lasix for a week and then a recheck to see if enough fluid is gone to see whats behind it.

Please give my baby some good healing vines and some calm thoughts for next Thurs so that she doesn't fight them so much.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Sending calming thoughts to your precious Peanut. I really hope the lasix helps and she will be fine!

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely sending prayers for Peanut.

4. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Peanut.

Mel & Muse (GA)

5. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers and calming vibes for Peanut.

6. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Peanut. Calm down sweetie so the Dr can find out what's wrong and fix it......

7. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines for Peanut, I hope the lasix helps her and the vet finds some answers for you.

8. Melanie and Smokey

Thanks everyone. The poor little thing has hardly gotten out of bed at all today. Her legs are so sore from them trying to get the blood from her. She likes to sleep on the couches, but can't jump so she just sleeps on her bed of an old suitcase. I'd hoped to see her perk up a little, but even when we took her outside, she didn't get off the suitcase.

Vet called and said the CBC came back good, no elevated white blood cell count so no infection. She said that was a good thing, but to me it seems like an infection would have been one of our treatable options :cry:

9. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Prayers and Angels with lots of healing green light coming to help you Peanuts hoping for a speedy recovery kath

10. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending many cyber hugs. I hope its nothing serious. Get better Peanut!

11. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

How is Peanut today? Is she eating ok? She's in my payers Melanie. Hugs and kisses to you.
    Taline

12. Melanie and Smokey

Thanks for the continued well wishes on my baby. I had to leave town this weekend and hubby stayed home with her. She was moving better by Saturday and could get up on the couches where she likes to nap. She asked to go outside a couple of times so hubby did a bunch of yardwork while she lazed in the sun (and snuck off to the neighbors a couple times).

Its good improvement that she is wanting to do some of her favorite things again. She still goes into the basement to sleep alone alot which isn't normal for her, but she doesn't seem so listless anymore. Now we just need to get a good vet visit on Thursday to find out what is going on and hopefully fix it so she can get back to being a wonderful little pest.

13. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Maybe she is hotter than normal and that is why she is going to the basement? Does it seem like she has lost some of the fluid? Please let us know how her vet visit goes.

14. Melanie and Smokey

Well all of the calming thoughts help my little one. She still howled her displeasure to the rooftop, but she let them do what they needed to do without fighting them and is in much better condition after this visit than the last.

The bad news is that the xrays show something isn't as it should be in the chest cavity, there is white shading to one side of the spine where it should show gray lung area. We will most likely go to have an ultrasound done to get a better look at what that is once the bloodwork is back and nothing jumps out from that and we know she can be sedated for it. The possibilities are not looking very good.

Continued good thoughts for my girl.

eta: her energy level is better and the vet said that the fluid on her lungs was visibly better on the xrays.

15. Melanie and Smokey

I think I need the calming vibes now. We go in for the ultrasound tomorrow morning and I am terrified of what it will tell us. I don't want my baby to get more upset by feeling my anxiety, but I don't know how I am going to handle this trip.

We had a little bit better weekend with periods of increased energy. Spent a lot of time in the yard, one of her favorite pass-times.

16. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Angels and beauitful blue calming vibes for both of you Special Green Healing vibes for Peanuts.....Breath and talk to your Angels they will help you both get through Kath Hugssssssssssss

17. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Continued prayers...
    jeanne

18. Melanie and Smokey

Well I managed to only break down on the receptionist, doctor and husband today :YMSIGH: I was calmer, but so tired from the other two begging for food all night since the feeders were empty in prep for P being sedated.

The vet doing the ultrasound was fabulous with her (and me, very considerate, compassionate and explained things in detail). He was able to do the ultrasound without sedating her, which is amazing since she just about needs sedating for the car ride there. He ended up sedating her anyway to aspirate the mass since its painful to do though the chest walls. Peanut is tired, but seems most put out by the indignity of the shaved patch on her side and leg. To me she is sleeping a restful sleep, not an I-don't-feel-good sleep.

No more answers yet though. It isn't heart related. Her heart issues seem, to him, to be caused by the mass in the lung area. For some reason my vet told him she has heart disease and she's been treating her for that. wha?? We've been on lasix for a week and a half because of the fluid on her lungs and one of the possible reasons for that could be heart disease, but she's never diagnosed P with heart disease.

Now we wait for the aspirated fluid analysis, but it seems like we've eliminated everything around it and treatable and are left with this big growing mass in her chest cavity.

During the ultrasound he did see some irregularity on her kidney and checked that out and aspirated it. Seems she has polycistic kindey disease. I looked that up and it appears that low protein diets are best. We are on low carb, higher protein for FD with Smokey, do we go to high fat, low carb, low protein now :?

In my next life all of my cats names will clearly reflect their sex. With a Taz, Smokey, and Peanut they are so frequently called boys. ohmygod_smile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.