Need help calculating ME profile

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lenistar, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenistar

lenistar Member

Hi, everyone,

Can anyone help me calculate the ME % of carbs for the duck pate and rabbit pate using the attached information? I'm very confused...

Thank you so much!
    Elena

Attached Files:

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Elena,
    I make the duck pate 20.6% calories from carbs, according to the dry data....

The data gives the same percentage for both protein and fat, is that correct? (It may be correct because duck is high in fat)

Eliz

3. lenistar

lenistar Member

HI Eliz,

Thank you! It's so strange because a different number is listed in the chart on the right side. And their orig formula was, to be understanding, much lower in carbs. I've written them back for clarification. My cat has IBD so his stomach is very sensitive. And I also want to keep the carbs low (he doesn't have diabetes but at one point had borderline high blood sugar).

Thanks again for your reply!

All the best,
    Elena

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Ahaaaa...
    I understand what's happened, I think...
    The chart on the right side lists the carb content by weight (all the other ingredients, protein, fat, fiber and ash deducted from 100% gives you 7.11% carbs by weight...)

However, here we compare by 'percentage of calories from carbs'.
    That means multiplying carbs and protein by 3.5, and fat by 8.5 to give total calories; and then calculating the percentage of those calories that come from carbs. (I have a spreadsheet that does all that and makes it easy...)
    ...Just did the calculation again using the data in the chart on the right side and it still gives you 20.6% calories from carbs... Here we'd recommend that diabetic kitties have foods with less than 10% calories from carbs. And low carb is also good for kitties too....

Do you know why your kitty had high blood sugar? Infection and/or stress can do that....

Eliz

5. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you Eliz!

Ugh so frustrating that they changed the formulas! I don't know what I'm going to do now bc my kitty has inflammatory bowel disease + early stage kidney disease + the history of high blood sugar (I'm not sure what was causing it). I'm now scouring the internet for other limited ingredient diets that satisfy all of our needs. I left a message with the vet and I'm hoping she'll have some ideas too.

Have you ever tried Ziwi Peak brand?

Thank you again!
    Elena (aka very stressed kitty mama)

6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hugs, hugs, hugs... :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    My old diabetic boy has had IBS for about 10 years or more, and now the only thing that doesn't upset his tummy is minced raw rabbit... He has early kidney disease and his blood phos levels aren't high enough to add a phosphorous binder, but if necessary we'll do that...
    Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error, and finding 'what works' for a particular kitty... Many folks try 'novel' proteins such as rabbit, lamb, or - depending on where you live and what's available - ostrich, kangaroo or elk..... :confused:
    Yes, I have. It didn't work for us, but others do have success with it.

Eliz

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Merrick's 'Limited Ingredient diet' - chicken, turkey and salmon are 4% carbs but their duck is 15%.

Merrick's Perfect Bistro line does have several low carb including the duck but there's several other ingredients in it too.

8. lenistar

lenistar Member

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

I just discovered a brand called Hound and Gatos, and they make a duck pate which is just duck (though it does have salmon oil - maybe the oil is okay?) Unfortunately it seems quite high in phosphorous (346 mg/100kcal according to Dr. Pierson's chart). So far his phosphorus levels haven't been an issue, but with the kidney disease (it's still relatively early), I'd like to keep phosphorus as low as possible.

Have you had experience with / heard anything about Hound and Gatos?

Thank you again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.