Need help for amps running an hour and a half late 355

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

The third pile is pinkish in color foamy. She went to food and decided against it. Walked off!! I have no more anti nausea.

2. Phoebes (GA)

1 solid, one runny poop in literbox.

3. Phoebes (GA)

Switched ff chicken to sheba pate. Ate a few bites.

4. Phoebes (GA)

@Doodles & Karen

5. Phoebes (GA)

@Doodles & Karen

6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Are you asking about shooting her dose? Are you home today to encourage her to eat a little later? Did you shoot 3.25 or 3 u last night?

7. Phoebes (GA)

3.25 last night and gave her the bupe for pain. We woke to the 2 piles of vomit and poop. As we were making breakfast she puked a 3rd pile that was pink in color???!! Changed out the ff for sheba pate. Yes should I give her 3.25 this am. Gonna call vet to get some anti nausea. Just scares me after yesterdays behavior.

8. Phoebes (GA)

Yes will be home today

9. Doodles & Karen

I'm overly comfortable giving you advise. Personally, she needs the insulin and some cats actually run higher when they are feeling off. If you're home and continue to try and get food into her/ monitor I'd probably shoot. Her numbers are too high. Have you checked for keytones? Does she have history of them?

10. Phoebes (GA)

When first diagnosed she had traces, but since I had brought her home and stayed up with giving LR every other day, she's been neg. Haven't gotten the last 2 days because she is more sneaky than I. We just started 3.25 yesterday and I am due to call vet today and talk about ladt week values and curves.

Doodles & Karen likes this.
  11. Phoebes (GA)

The pink foam bothers me.

12. Doodles & Karen

Ok good. With her numbers not really budging and because you can monitor, I'd shoot her full dose.

I don't know anything about "pink foam" vomits. Some of the Sheba pate's are pinkish in color but if you think it's more serious than that it's best to speak with your vet as planned.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  13. Phoebes (GA)

OK shot it is. The pinkish foam was before any food. Definitely will call vet. Thanks. Just a little panicky mom this am.

14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If she's vomited repeatedly her throat/esophagus might be irritated and bleeding a tiny bit, hence the pinkish foam. Keep an eye though.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  15. Doodles & Karen

I'd be panicky too. Hope she settles down a bit. Just keep an eye on her starting with a +2. Sending lots of vines and prayers.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  16. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no, poor Phoebe! I just got back online and saw this!

How is she doing? Has she eaten anything now?

17. Phoebes (GA)

She has nibbled, went to vets got bupe, cerenia, and pepcid. +2 is 335. She hates pills so we got pill pocket to help. Just gave her cerenia and pepcid. She's trying to eat but walks away, so maybe give pills time. Will give her bupe in about 30 minutes after she keeps down the pepcid and cerenia.

18. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, sounds like the anti-nausea is the big thing right now-- I hope it does the trick and gets her more interested in food! I also hope she decides it's OK to pee on plastic again sometime soon so you can get a ketone test in, arggh.

Feel better, Phoebe!

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  19. Phoebes (GA)

I covered the whole box and there is christmas paper outside the box for crinkle alert!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  20. Phoebes (GA)

She keeps visiting the feed bowl and eating bits and bites then leaves it. So crossing fingers

21. Nan & Amber (GA)

Good. Sounds like she still has an appetite, but is feeling nauseated when she actually gets to the bowl.

If you haven't already, try elevating the food bowl several inches by putting something underneath it-- if a cat is nauseated, it often gets worse when they bend their head/neck to eat, so sometimes this can help.

22. Phoebes (GA)

This is what it's on. High enough?

Attached Files:

23. Phoebes (GA)

No ketones yayyyy thanks to the wrapping paper. But she has diarrhea. She had 2 poops this am and another one just 10 mins ago. Good lord I need a gas mask :arghh:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  24. Phoebes (GA)

@Nan & Amber +4 335 again

25. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, looks like it's going to be one of those days. Hooray for the no ketones, at least! That is a huge relief!

Is she eating yet? If she's still hesitant to eat I'd plan on getting more tests in today, at least a +6 if you can. The lantus has a few more hours of activity and though she's maintaining numbers in the 300's so far, without food on board it's hard to predict what will happen.

26. Phoebes (GA)

Gotcha. Yes she is eating a bit more frequent, I think the numbers might be food influenced. Will test for sure.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  27. Phoebes (GA)

@Nan & Amber thought she was eating well. Nope just bites still. +6 355, she just went to bowl to nibble on ff with pumpkin, because she has loose stools.

28. Nan & Amber (GA)

Ugh. I'm glad she's still at least doing some nibbles, she does need to eat. At least the BG isn't tanking and (in the other direction) ketones are negative-- those are the two related issues that would put her in immediate danger. At this point, just have to keep watching and hoping that the anti-nausea does the trick and she's able to eat some full meals soon. Poor Phoebe...

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  29. Phoebes (GA)

@Nan & Amber or anyone that will listen how in the world does she not eat anything but 2 bites and still have 338 at +9

30. Nan & Amber (GA)

I know that pain/illness can inflate BG numbers, so that might be part of it.

I'm hoping some of the other folks with lots of experience with various kitty illnesses can weigh in here with thoughts/advice as well-- I am a little worried about Phoebe. She can go a day without eating a lot but we don't want it to go much longer than that or serious health problems can settle in. I'm hoping either she will snap out of whatever is ailing her right now (my bet is still the pancreatitis) on her own very soon or that someone else has a good suggestion on how to help her along.

31. Phoebes (GA)

The vet suggested if she don't eat to decrease her insulin in half. Does that mean tonight or should I give it with her being high

32. Phoebes (GA)

She ate a 1/2 of the perfect portion chicken chunks with gravy about 20 mins ago.

33. Nan & Amber (GA)

Yay for eating!!!!! Maybe this means she is starting to feel a little better.

@Doodles & Karen , @Bobbie And Bubba , what do you think on dose? My instinct says that with her BG still high, and her at least still eating something, she is better off with the full dose but I will defer to your experience on this.

One additional factor I'm thinking: things "with gravy" generally have more carbs in them, so that will bump BG even more so that she really will need insulin tonight. Angela, do you know the carb % of the food? It sounds like a Sheba variety but I can't find it on the company's website so I'm not sure.

34. Doodles & Karen

With her being so high I would be inclined to shoot the full dose IF you can monitor as much as needed. Also have a syringe that you could use IF she decides to come down in numbers where it's essential she gets food.

35. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Angela, just read though to try and catch up. Are you giving the HC food with gravy because that is all she will eat? If so, you might be better staying with the present dose since she is pink and flat and if you can monitor and feel confident that she will eat some HC food if needed.

36. Phoebes (GA)

Yes it's all she would eat. When she quit eating for 5 days that was what we got her to eat. She is turned off by the ff at the moment. She lucked the other half of the gravy off. No I do not know the carb amount it was just something we had. If I give her the full dose how much would be safe to test her. I take 2 sleeping pills. But probably could do at least +4.

37. Phoebes (GA)

A syringe? Of?

38. Phoebes (GA)

I also have a baby's food beef with beef gravy if I need hc?

39. Doodles & Karen

A needless syringe for food if she won't eat and you need her to. I don't anticipate her getting into low numbers but one can never been 100% sure.

40. Phoebes (GA)

Yes, I have the syringe from the liquid gabapentin. I can put the baby food in it.

41. Doodles & Karen

I hope she will continue to eat for you and surf tonight. Just wanted to make sure you have a "tool" if absolutely needed. BTW, I'm sure she's a sweet as her picture says she is.

42. Phoebes (GA)

She is the sweetest ever!! :) just did bg it's 318

43. Phoebes (GA)

So I'm good to give 3.25 and then monitor to +4

44. Phoebes (GA)

@Nan & Amber @Doodles & Karen @Bobbie And Bubba :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: her bg is 312. But I only have 1 test strip until morning. I had 6 but let my husband do the pmps and he went thru 5!!!!(I have no idea how) She has eaten a whole sheba with gravy and is eating a ff chicken. Should I be ok until morning amps!!?? Just put out extra ff. :banghead:

45. Doodles & Karen

I would never shoot with only one strip. Can your husband go get some? You should always have an extra box in your hypo kit. If there is a Walmart they are open 24 hours and he could get a different meter like the Relion micro or confirm and strips.

Sorry I'm off to bed for a few hours now.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  46. Nan & Amber (GA)

Ack! I'm sorry, I go to bed early and just saw this!

It looks like the 312 was a +2 number after you already shot. The fact that Phoebe was eating pretty well reassures me-- I'm glad she's feeling better! Having food on board and available through the night should have kept her safe, but please post an update when you are up!

47. Bobbie And Bubba

Amber, I am just seeing this now; I go to bed early also . I hope that Phoebe is okay and please post when you can today with her numbers. As Karen said, always have a back up back in the hypo kit, or what I do is when I open the last vial of 50, I go buy more. Luckily, she is running high right now but, you never want to be in this position when she is running in lower numbers.

48. Phoebes (GA)

Woke up some of the food is still there, tried to use the last strip, error. Gawd dammit. So I gave her 150 LR she wasn't too interested in her ff this am. So gave her the cerenia, and pepcid wrapped in beef pill pocket. Some calories. Then on way home will stop and get the meter from walmar. So we can afford to get as many strips as we need. I have failed phoebe

49. Phoebes (GA)

I know this but we are new and I did have back up, just not enough. And we didn't have the funds to pay the 75 dollars for the strips for our meter after we just bought them week ago. I am doing the best I can. Even if I am failing her

50. Doodles & Karen

You haven't failed her! The relion is a great meter (at least I like it) and yes, the strips are affordable. She'll get back on track so don't worry :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. Phoebes (GA)

Is this it?

Attached Files:

52. Nan & Amber (GA)

You haven't failed her!!!! You are doing everything you can and are a wonderful bean to her! We all have had these little hiccups, but that is all this is, a little hiccup. Plus, how do you think we all learned to keep a spare box of strips around? Exactly! I also have multiple meters because I can't find strips for my main one at a reasonable price at brick-and-mortar stores, so when I ran out on a weekend (because of course I did) I found it was cheaper to just go buy the "starter kit" for an entirely different brand of meter.

There are so many things to learn and so many little tricks to this sugar dance-- you can't learn them all instantly, don't beat yourself up for things like this. Phoebe is feeling a little yucky right now, but she's not in immediate danger. Even if you end up doing a late shot today, it won't take long to get her back on track.

53. Nan & Amber (GA)

On the Relion meters: let me check some old posts, or wait until someone knowledgable answers. I know that some end up better than others-- they're all reliable, but they differ in the size of blood droplet required, and there's one that people report having a lot of error messages (so the strips end up being more expensive per successful test).

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  54. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, per old posts: the Confirm and the Micro are the ones people seem to like best. The Prime is the one that seems to generate a lot of error messages, so probably best to avoid that one.

Between the Confirm and Micro I don't know-- I'd probably just go by per-strip cost on the shelf, and if those are the same, go for the one that requires the smallest droplet (prob. the Micro, judging by the name!).

55. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh Amber, I am sorry if I made you feel badly; that was not my intention. You haven't failed Phoebe; no one thinks that!

I use the Relion Prime meter and the strips are really cheap compared to the other Reion. I get 100 for under $18 I switched from the Relion Micro meter The blood sample for the PRIME needs to be a little bigger but, I haven't found that to be a problem

56. Phoebes (GA)

On way. To take husband to work if he gets the lead out!!! Will check when I get to wally world on which one.

57. Doodles & Karen

I like the Confirm, needs a tiny blood sample. The micro is the same and strips are for both

58. Bobbie And Bubba

I haven't found that to be a problem. I have gotten errors but it was for good reason like not enough blood or timing out.

59. Nan & Amber (GA)

Ah, that's probably the source of the "too many errors" complaints I saw. So, Angela, there's a first-hand report that the Prime can work fine if you are getting reliable blood drops from Phoebe's ears.

Bottom line, I think any of them will work fine.

60. Phoebes (GA)

Ok got relion prime, she had not eaten when I just walked in the door. Her bg on this meter is 355..do I shoot this late?

61. Phoebes (GA)

@Bobbie And Bubba @Nan & Amber but she ate a few bites just now

62. Phoebes (GA)

She bleeds easy her ears are always warm. So not a problem.

63. Phoebes (GA)

64. Nan & Amber (GA)

It will take several rounds to get back on schedule if you shoot now, so it will mean several later-than-you-would-like nights in order to monitor her afterwards. I lean towards doing it if you can, just because she's still up in the mid-300's, but I think you could justify a skip if the scheduling would be really hard. @Bobbie And Bubba, what do you think?

65. Phoebes (GA)

Maybe even half dose?

66. Nan & Amber (GA)

That's another option, just to get some insulin into her. It's not "regulation", exactly-- @Doodles & Karen has tons of experience, not sure she's on, but if so, what do you think about a late, reduced dose now and then back on schedule tonight?

67. Phoebes (GA)

I am going to kill my husband for messing up those strips!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

68. Phoebes (GA)

Maybe 2 units I will be here to monitor her

69. Doodles & Karen

Even if you shoot a lower dose, which I wouldn't you can't shoot for 11.5 to 12 hours from when you shoot now. Can you be off schedule?

70. Phoebes (GA)

Ok so skip dose all together? :'(

71. Phoebes (GA)

Wait so I could shoot 930 tonight?

72. Doodles & Karen

To get back on schedule you can shoot 15min early twice a day or 30m. early once a day.
    Shooting Schedule_Getting Back On Time

Shooting late acts as a decrease in dose so shooting only 2 units this late does not make sense. Shooting early can act as an increase in dose which is why you have to work your way back.

Does any of this make sense?

One last option is to do an 18hr. So you could check her at +18 from last nights PMPS, give her the full dose. You would skip the shot tomorrow morning and get back on schedule at tomorrow's PMPS shot. Personally I'm not a fan of 18 hour dosing as it screws up the depot for 2-3 days. If you can't get off schedule I'd skip and start tonight.

73. Phoebes (GA)

I can do that!!!!@doodles

74. Doodles & Karen

If it's 10am where you are now then yes, the earliest you could shoot tonight is 9:30pm (+11.5 hours).

75. Phoebes (GA)

Whatever I need to do to give her 3 now I am good with.

76. Doodles & Karen

Then shoot the full dose, not a reduced dose. You'd have to stay on that 12/12 schedule and work your way back as outlined above.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  77. Doodles & Karen

If you understand "how to get back on schedule" then shoot the 3.25u. Are you off by about 2.5/3 hours now?

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  78. Phoebes (GA)

Yes usually at 8 am. So giving her 3.25 and she ate half can of classic beef

79. Doodles & Karen

Ok so your 2 hours off schedule. You can shoot at 9:30 tonight. Tomorrow either shoot 15 min early at AMPS and PMPS or just wait to PMPS and shoot at 9pm. Just an example.

Glad she's eating better today!

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  80. Phoebes (GA)

@Bobbie And Bubba @Nan & Amber @Doodles & Karen I am sorry for the pity party this morning. I was so pissed at my husband, and scared for phoebe. And then when the reader said error and I didn't know what her numbers were, I panicked. I apologize and please from the bottom of my heart know our gratitude for you all.

81. Doodles & Karen

Not a good option for the reasons below

82. Phoebes (GA)

I will shoot at 930 tonight.

83. Doodles & Karen

There's never a need to apologize here. FD stinks and it's harder on us beans then it is the cats. This is a place to learn FD...which takes time, asking questions, etc. One thing that is guaranteed is that you'll get another chance to do things differently by learning. We rant here, we all understand, and celebrate the little things. It's the only place that we all get excited about our cats poop! Take a deep breath and give Phoebes extra scritches.

Although DH went through 5 strips, hats off for him leaning to test so give him an extra pat on the head and hug later too.

84. Doodles & Karen

One last thing. When your title question is answered, take down the ? mark and edit the title. This way if you have another question later it is up-to-date and others will know to take a look. I try to be on a lot but not always around and there are plenty of experienced people to help.

85. Doodles & Karen

Guess there's another "one more"

You should be posting in the Lantus & Levemir group. We also start a new thread every day and link the thread from the day before. Not many of us check the "main health forum".

86. Phoebes (GA)

I thought that's where I put it. Lesson learned. I will give my husband something, but not sure pet on the head! :/ but I see what you're saying. I don't know how to add the yesterday's condo to a new one. Will look that up after I catch a nap. Ty for making me feel better

87. Doodles & Karen

You basically copy and past the URL into the new thread. Enjoy your nap!

88. Doodles & Karen

Just hope I made you laugh or at least smile...

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  89. Bobbie And Bubba

No problem, you are entitled to a pity party; we have all had our own so, no need to apologize. I had a chiropractic apt and ust got back, saw that you got the strips and you shot. Hope the pink foam is from what Kris said, irritation from the vomiting but it's worth a call to the vet office.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  90. Bobbie And Bubba

PS: Try not to be mad at DH and remember he is just trying to help and you need him on Team Phoebe :cat:

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  91. Phoebes (GA)

Yes talked to vet yesterday she prescribed the pepsid for it. :)

92. Phoebes (GA)

Yes you did and I will be sure to pass on the support.

93. Phoebes (GA)

So glad I gave the dose +4 is 304

94. Phoebes (GA)

95. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

As a HCP but a total screwup when it comes to cats, I stopped seeing or listening to the DVM regarding DM treatment. He was wrong and the FDMB "experts" were absolutely right. As far as other medical surgical issues, I always refer to my DVM. However, Elott had no eating, vomiting or diarrhea issues. Obviously Phoebe has other medical issues...Pain? Do cats have side effects (as humans do but not often) like diarrhea and loss of appetite with Gabenten like GI bleeding and other GI issues. Was Tramadol suggested by anyone? My problems were limted to BG so I was simply up all night to check BG every hour or 30 minutes on many many nights. As far as the Pink froth..is it consistent very light pink froth or light blood streaked liquid? I think the FDMB experts can determine what's going on. I only know what it means for humans. Also, I finally switched to Relion and their strips but use "FreeStyle" and Alphtrak strips in my AT meter every month or so just to check the differences. It showed no great differences but it still makes me feel better. You'll be fine if you follow FDMB experts..They saved my ELLIOTT!!!! Also, Zofran is a great drug but some "new" friends claimed to have issues and switched to crushing Tums, pepcid, pepto bismol, Immodium and other over the counter meds with success. My DVM orders Immodium for cats but some of the OTC anti-nausea meds have a little ASA which is not recommended for cats. Because I had no eating issues (just the opposite)..I did buy bags of chicken breasts and kept some cooked at all times to train Elliott to WANT to have his BG checked.. That was suggested here. IT surely worked..Now, after 9 months, Ellott will stand on the kitchen counter and we couldn't figure out WHY...Frank goes over now and squeezes his ear pretending that he is performing a BG test with the strips and meter in Elliott's view. He then gets his chicken pieces. I was doubtful on this suggestion but as said before, FDMB people know exactly what they are talking about. I wish you the best and hope you have the same experience with Phoebe that I have with ELLIOTT!!!! Please note that I have no expertise in CATts overall..as I am sure the others can verify...but what I took the most seriously is how important it was to do those BG regardless if I ever slept again. You are in the best of hands. I just wish that there was just as good of a dog forum like this one!!! BTW..my friend resorted to Marinol to increase his pets appetite that was 0 and boy did it work. I have about 1/2 bottle of 2.5 mg if you ever feel that you might need to try something else...Have a peaceful night!!! Sorry for rambling..I just want to "try" to give back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.