Need help for Nemo's acid tummy.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nemosmomma, Jan 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Hi!
    I found out yesterday that having Nemo on Pepcid everyday, which was ok'd by vet, isn't a good idea for Diabetic cats. He vomitted alittle bile yesterday and again this morning and he hasn't had any pepcid since Sat. Any natural suggestions? My poor boy CANNOT lose any weight, he's skin and bones as it is. Plus he needs to eat to keep his numbers normal-ish.
    Thanks,
    Amy

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Where did you hear Pepcid is not a good idea for diabetic kitties? I've never given it daily but its part of my "as needed" arsenal, so I'd be interested to know if there is research suggesting its no good. For getting him to gain weight, have you thought about CBD oil? It won't help with the acid stomach but it has helped Spot with his appetite when he's feeling bad - that in combination with the raw diet has been a lifesaver for him.

3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Also feeding multiple small meals per day.. Spot gets acid vomits when he goes longer than about 6 hours without food..

4. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

I swear CBD is a miracle! I use CBD didn't think about giving it to him. How often and how much do you give Spot? I have a peppermint flavored liquid, could I try giving him that or does he need plain?

SpotsMom likes this.
  5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Spot gets 5mg per day but we started at about 1mg and worked up. He frequently struggles with inappetance due to chronic pancreatitis so he gets more than the average kitty. I know most human flavorings and additives are not good for kitties but not sure about peppermint. I use the catnip flavor from cbdmd and spot seems to like it. https://www.cbdmd.com/products/cbd-oil-for-pets/cbd-oil-cat-products

6. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

Oh awesome!! Thank you so much! I've had pancreatitis and it sucks! I feel for Spot! Nemo has never been a real big canned food eater, so this transition hasn't been easy for either of us. Usually I have baby food as a back up to mix in or just feed him to get something in his tummy. I'm hoping the CBD will help with his tummy and his joint pains. Thank you again!:bighug:

SpotsMom likes this.
  7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Peppermint is not good for cats. It’s also really important where you source CBD oil. I didn’t look at yours but it’s just important to know, for others reading, to not just walk in any store or pharmacy and buy it.

The Pepcid issue has nothing to do with diabetic cats; it really pertains to all cats and, yes, even humans. Here’s an excellent 2-part article on the problem with Pepcid.

Things that can help with acid tummy:
    —Feeding mini meals
    —Feeding a low carb freeze dried pure protein snack during long fasting times (for example, cats will often produce a lot of tummy acid between their last evening meal and first morning meal so a FD protein snack a few hours before their morning meal can help with tummy acid.
    —Slippery elm bark syrup can help with acid tummy. To make this, buy a small amount (1/8 c) of loose, pure slippery elm bark powder at a health food store. Mix 1/8 tsp of powder with enough purified water to make a slurry and syringe feed to kitty a couple times a day separated from any medications or supplements by two hours.

8. Nemosmomma

Nemosmomma Member

So first I apologize for misunderstanding about the pepcid. Thank you for all of that info!!! That prob with pepcid article is awesome! I have learned so much in the last couple days...Thank you Marje!! As far as not all CBD oil being created equal, that I found out when I started taking it. Thanks again!:bighug::bighug:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  9. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome!

10. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Marje this is a great article thanks!!

11. Marje and Gracie

You’re very welcome!!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.