Need help getting high BG under control

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by dodgingwrenches, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

I did post in another thread, but thought I'd start a fresh one for the current issue, since the last one was rather broad.

My cat (6 year old male, large but not overweight (normal weight 15 pounds)) was diagnosed three weeks ago with diabetes. His BG was 22.4 at the time (403 in the US). Vet ordered insulin twice a day, twelve hours apart, 3 units each shot (Novolin). He was also switched to a low carb diet at the time.

Two weeks later, at the checkup (a week ago Tuesday), his BG was at 29 (522). Vet increased dose to 5 units twice per day.

I started home monitoring on Saturday, here is my spreadsheet so far.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... 2RUE&hl=en

Upon recommendations from the board, I last night decreased his dose to 2.5 units, and he got that last night and this morning. Didn't want to "shock" him with an immediate decrease to 1 unit, which is the started recommending dose on here, so someone recommended 2.5, and then reducing to 1 after a few days. Anyway, his BG this morning (pre-shot) was still off the charts though - anything above 33 (600 US), and my monitor just shows "Hi". He was "Hi" yesterday and today am pre-shot.

Anyone have experience with this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to get his BG under control based on my spreadsheet? Yes, I'm trying to monitor his ketones, but he only peed once yesterday, and at some point that I didn't catch him (tried to monitor litter box and even brought him there a few times to try and entice him to use it) so I haven't been able to check those yet. He is eating normally (loves being back on a wet food diet). I'm also getting a different insulin (Lantus) tomorrow (thanks to odiesmom). I just have no faith in my vet at all.

I'm very worried about him :YMSIGH:

Sophia

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It would be great to get a ketone reading. The only way we could get a reading from Oliver (who was very shy and private....) was to buy some aquarium gravel, put it in the litter box with nothing else and leave him in a room with it. It did work.

Glad you are getting Lantus and starting over.

3. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Oh good, you did post. Never mind my suggestion to do so in the PM ;-)

4. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Different insulin--you're not getting enough duration from this one which is going tolead to high preshot values. Your numbers are already starting to go back up around the +4 mark so it isn't lasting anywhere near the 12 hours you need. This is pretty typical of N.

5. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Glad to know you will be starting Lantus and getting off that N insulin. Everything takes time....patience is required when dealing with this disease. Wishing you the best with Lantus.

6. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

What dose should she be starting at with Lantus with such high numbers? 1 unit still?

7. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

... bump

8. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

33.3 (600 US) again this morning. Help?

9. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Wow those are high numbers I am a newbie here too. But this is the place I believe will be able to help us. My vet started Trey off at 3 units but I just had this gut feeling that it is not good.I took the advice I got here and on Friday night June 11 went to 2 units today I will get the syringes and stop using the pen. Trey is 17lbs and he`s high was 26BG but now he bounces betweet 9-19BG you must be in Canada where do you live. Here they use US our numbers x 18. If there is anything we can help each other with . Trey has only been diabetic last of May he came off his dry food completely abourt 5 weeks now. and my boy is doing so much better (No more gas, poop is good, pee is less) so I feel pretty possitive about things.. so if I can help just sharing info I am here .Got to get my profile done today when company is gone LOL Kath & Trey

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you aren't getting many replies on what to do. No one here uses N that I know of, so I think we are all reluctant to give advice. (I will go over to community to see if former N users could stop by.) The only thing I know is to get ketone readings with those high numbers.

As far as your new Lantus dosage, I would go over to the Lantus support group and ask for advice. Be sure to give them your history. viewforum.php?f=9

11. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I haven't used N myself but have been on the Board awhile and am familiar with others' experiences with it.

It is a good thing Heart will be going onto Lantus. N is "harsh" in that it usually hits reasonably fast, will reduce the BG numbers more than other insulins, and be gone reasonably fast.

For the time you don't have Lantus to give him, I would stick with the reduction plan, but perhaps consider shooting every 8 hours, that is, 3 times a day (TID).

Once you get the Lantus, I suggest going with the Lantus ISG starting protocol. You will see it in a sticky on the Lantus ISG.

Best of luck!

12. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Sophia, are you going to start the lantus tomorrow? Make sure you start at 1u (or .5u if that is what lantus users are saying). I think 1u because he is so high now, but I am convinced that his high numbers right now are rebound from too high a dose of Novolin. Even 2.5u is probably about 2-3 times as much as he needs.

Things will be very different using lantus, so start low (1u) and go slow with it. I think you will see some better numbers after a couple of days.

So glad you are ditching the Novolin!

13. housecats4

Hi just checking out your ss I know how scarey this all is am new here too got almost a month in .We just take one day at a time Trey is on Lantus and had his first low 50BG PMPS last night I was testing every 30 minutes from 11:30 till 2:30 this morning finally got to bed at 3pm Didn`t get much sleep but this AMPS he is back at 308BG....Anyway just want to say Hi and good luck sending Angels to watch over you and your baby Hugsssss LOL Kath

14. dodgingwrenches

dodgingwrenches Member

Thanks Kath! Our numbers still aren't as pretty as yours seem to be getting unfortunately :(

15. housecats4

Hopefully your number will start to come down soon sending prayers and angels to help LOL Kath :mrgreen:

16. housecats4

Hello so when does Heart start Lantus I will be so happy for you . Poor baby with those high numbers ((((((((Heart)))))))) and MOM stick with it these people know what they are talking about.
    My vet wasn`t happy with me but I told her Trey is our boy and we will do what is good for him She started him off at 3 units I had a gut feeling it was not good for him. So I cut him back to 2 units with the advice from here. Today she is telling me to increase by .25 because I refused to increase by 1 unit . Then she said she was sorry she didn`t do urin test but we are getting them done on Monday so I feel better. I will stand up to her and back this board they are great.. :mrgreen: ;-) :coffee: :!:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.