Need help interpreting Tom's labs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sonia & Tom (GA), Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Been too busy to pick up at the vet so I had them sent to me. Got them today.

I'm confused. Different vet, different lab, different ranges too. Not sure what to look at.

Looking at the values that show above range (shown in brackets):
    Creatinine: 228 (50-177 umol/L) last year was 219 (53-212 umol/L)
    Potassium: 5.9 (3.7 - 5.8 mmol/L) last year was 5.7 (3.4 - 5.6 mmol/L)
    WBC: 20.1 (5.5 - 19.5 x10E9/L) last year was 7.9 (3.5 - 16.0 10E9/L) -> what does the big increase mean?

Other values:
    BUN: can't find? Is it urea? 12.2 (5.0 - 13.0 mmol/L) last year was 14.0 (5.0 - 12.9)
    Specific gravity: 1.017 (?) last year was 1.025
    T4: 19.0 (11.0 - 46.0 nmol/L) last year was 15 (10 - 51 nmol/L)

Vet did not see anything alarming. Just his kidney values having gotten a little worse.
    After last year's test, Tom had a dental and i started adding lots of water to his food.
    You experts out there, what do you think?

I am totally outside of my comfort zone here...
    What else should I look at?

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am no expert in interpreting these numbers, but you can use this calculator to convert your results to numbers that will mean more to people in the USA:

http://www.vin.com/calculators/default.htm

Your creatinine converts to 2.58
    Your urea (almost the same thing as BUN) is 34.17
    T4 1.48

The potassium, USG, and WBC don't need conversion. You might also post your phosphorus and calcium numbers if you have them.

3. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Thanks Linda.
    Phosphorus: 1.6 (0.8 - 2.5 mmol/L) US equivalent 4.95 mg/dl. Last year was 1.8 (0.77 - 2.65). US equivalent 5.57 mg/dl.
    Calcium: 2.49 (2.00 - 2.90 mmol/L) US equivalent 9.96 mg/dl. Last year was 2.5 -> guess we can call this unchanged?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From the creatinine and urine specific gravity reading Tom has real insufficiency (CRF). The values are not that bad though. I would try to limit phosphorous in the food and ensure that Tom remains hydrated. Adding extra water to the food is good idea.

5. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Last year, we changed the food to only low phosporus chicken and turkey. We also started adding lots of water to it so they all eat *soup* now.
    I'm considering starting subq, especially since he started having issues with constipation. Started miralax this week and if that doesn't work enough then i think I'll learn how to.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You are doing/considering doing all I would do now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.