need help - new cat not eating

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharyn & Fiona, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Uno was adopted on Friday from PetSmart. Her new mom says she doesn't think she's eaten at all. She spent the first night in the bathroom and then ran under the bed where she has remained. She's hissing, scratching and tried to bite her new mom, Kala. From talking to Kala it sounds like she's doing everything right. She's been sitting on the floor of the bedroom reading outloud to Uno for hours. She said she's pretty much been hanging out in the bedroom since Uno went in there yesterday afternoon. She's put food and treats under the bed. She's tried feathers on a stick and Uno batted at them but didn't move. Kala lives alone w/a guinea pig so her house is quite. The guinea pig is not in the same room.

I fostered this kitty and she was skittish but nothing like this. Eating was never a problem, Uno loved her wet food. Kala got the same food that I was feeding Uno. When Uno came to me she had a URI and I kept her in a kennel so she was easy to get a hold of. I did need to wrap her up to pill her and she would really calm down when I did, even purred. I don't remember any hissing and never mean biting. She only bit sometimes while playing. By the time she went to PetSmart she was pretty comfortable in the room at my house. I had her for about 4 weeks. She's still up on PetFinder http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15685246. As you can see in the video was wasn't freaked out scared.

I suggested Kala put out some tuna and more wet food in the room under the bed and shut the door to leave Uno alone for a little while. Kala is a nurse and has a 12-hour shift to work tonight. I'm hoping Uno will eat while she's gone.

Does it make sense to put Uno in a kennel again like at my house and PetSmart until she adjusts?

Kala says she is willing to do whatever it takes to help Uno. She's afraid she can't give Uno what she needs being gone for 12 hours at a time. That may be she'd do better with someone who was around more, although she's not ready to give up yet.

Got any suggestions? PLEASE! Thanks!

2. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

No advice Sharyn, but wanted to just send some good wishes. It sounds like she's scared and might just need some more time.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is not unusual for a relocated kitty to not eat for a day or two. If more than two days I would be concerned that the kitty would go down hill from hot eating. A non eating kitty can get HL. See:
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/turner/index.php

I would try all possible foods and probably syringe feed the kitty if not eating by tomorrow.

4. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

She is a beautiful little girl. Maybe if she just sleeps in the bed and ignores Uno? Also, she may eat once she is left alone to explore, sniff, get used to it all. Sometimes ignoring works better than pushing too hard. Hoping things work out because it sounds like a perfect home for her....better than a busy and noisy household.

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

If she can get someone to help her (other person to move bed, she gets cat) I would try to get the kitten with a towel and gloves, and put her back in the bathroom. I would guess this kitten has a feral background? While they can progress just fine, and seem to be "over it" in foster homes, frequently moving and changes will have them regress a bit.

Generally for undersoc /prev undersoc kittens our shelter doesnt recommend bedrooms as a safe room for that reason. Under the bed, you can not see body language, if the cat is about to swat or bite, and it can become THEIR Turf, and is more likely to lead to defensive behavior.

6. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Is she certain the kitty isn't eating at all? Maybe put down several different kinds (including, gasp, a little dry) just to see if you can get her going.

7. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Uno ate!

yay! While Kala was working her 12 hr shift. One less thing to worry about. Uno's moved herself back into the bathroom hiding in the tub. I suggested getting one or two feliway diffusers for the bathroom and keeping the door shut. As well has creating a smaller hidey hole for Uno out of a box in the bathroom. Kala works 12 hours shifts through Thursday so it may work out well for Uno to hang out in the bathroom alone to calm down. Evidently she bit Kala pretty hard this morning :sad: Poor little tyke is just so scared.

I hope Kala hangs in there. Unfortunately, this morning Kala said she had been looking for a cuddley cat. I know for sure one of the write ups on her said that she would probably never be a cuddley cat. But she was laying next to me on the couch by the time she left here. She wants to be with people she just doesn't know how - yet.

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Even cats that are born in a house, home raised, etc. does not guarantee a cuddley cat. Some of mine, the minute I sit down, are right on my lap with the rest alongside. Hope is a love but she will not sit or lie on my lap, just next to me. Mishka will come up, wrap her paws around my neck, and wash me. When she's had enough, she gets down. Some are always in your face, some just like to be next to you, some just want to be in the area where you are but don't pick them up or try and keep them on your lap. I think once this kitty calms down and settles in, she may actually end up being a great cat but......also may only be great with your friend, no one else but that shouldn't matter.

9. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Given that Uno is skittish, and a bit undersoc, someone who works 12 hours will have to do a lot more socializing with her when she is home.. lots of pick up cuddle put down, pick up cuddle put down. Use a towel for kitten burrito if Uno is biting and scratching. Leaving them alone for long periods can make them regress even when there is progress.

I know the adopter wants to make it work, but make sure she knows that if Unos behavior is getting worse, it may be better for Uno to find a new home rather than be returned and behaving worse. Particularly if she wants a cuddly cat. There are no guarantees about that even with a social kitten, as Hope said.

I dont want to be the voice of doom here but I have just seen way too many undersoc kittens come back way worse than when they left because adopters thought it would be fine, that they would have the time. We had 2 kittens go home to someone who worked long hours and staff had to go trap them because they had basically become feral in her house, and they werent undersoc to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.