Need help switching food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KoltAJ, Aug 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KoltAJ

KoltAJ Member

My sister’s two cats are from the same litter as my cat AJ who was recently diagnosed as diabetic. My sister’s cats haven’t had any troubles as of yet but she wants to prevent them from happening if possible. One of her cats is very long and big boned and he weighs 13lbs. The other cat is shorter and regular frame and she weighs 11lbs. She is in college on a very tight budget and can not afford to feed them the cans of fancy feast that had been recommended to me. Please let me know of any cheaper plausible options! Thank you so much

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

Look at what others feed. There are some varieties of friskies and I see you’re on fancy feast. Try the chewy website, if you haven’t already.

KoltAJ likes this.
  3. KoltAJ

KoltAJ Member

Was hoping to get more insight as I haven’t been able to see much information.

4. KoltAJ

KoltAJ Member

I was thinking buying chicken from the store and feeding that might be cheaper for her with big cats maybe. But I don’t know how much chicken they would need to eat per day so maybe not. I just recently got on fancy feast which is okay for me since my cat AJ is 6lbs but with her two bigger cats it would end up costing her $200/mo which she doesn’t have the funds for unfortunately. And i dont think they can stay on dry? Dont know if there are any good dry options for cats that have not yet been diagnosed? But i know i’ve been told to avoid dry so i assume wet or chicken or something is better.

5. KoltAJ

KoltAJ Member

@Idjit's mom would love your input or from anyone you know who might be able to help

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Cooked chicken is good for snacks and treats, but cats can’t eat just plain meat without also adding vitamins and essential nutrients to it, unless you’re feeding organ meats as well. Friskies is the cheapest option I know of, but I think special kitty pates are low carb as well

KoltAJ likes this.
  7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You can buy the large cans (13 ounce) of Friskies pates. Just make sure it's the pate. $1.00 a can or a bit more, depending on the flavour.
    The price of the small cans of Friskies are the same price as the Fancy Feast, but 2.25 ounces larger – at least in Canada.

Idjit's mom and KoltAJ like this.
  8. KoltAJ

KoltAJ Member

Ohh i see! Okay i’ll look into special kitty pates for her then because she might be able to afford them better. Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  9. KoltAJ

KoltAJ Member

That should work out better too if it is the big cans, thank you!

10. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I did respond on the other thread. :)

KoltAJ likes this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, the Special Kitty pate's are low carb....ANY canned food is going to be better just because of the extra water though.

Good for you for trying to educate your family and hopefully prevent them from ever having to be here!

(GA) Gypsy's Parent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.