***NEED HELP****UPDATE***

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ceil99, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Elwood my 5yr old civie has thrown up today, won't eat and has diaherrea.

He has gone about 4 times and it is a yellow snotty diaherrea now - does this mean it is almost all done?

He is very heavy and only eats Fancy Feast Dry Cat food, but won't eat today

I tried to give him baby food but he was not having it. What can I give him to help with the diaherrea that won't make him throw up again?

I don't know what to do with him.

2. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Re: ***NEED HELP****

he seems to be resting/sleeping right now so hopefully he will eat something when he gets up.

not sure if i should give him some amoxi since i have it or if that might make it worse.

i also have kaeopectate - not sure if i can give him a small amt of that??

3. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

I would take him to the vet. Could be anything that has caused that. I would not give him kaeopectate(sp), not sure if that's safe for cats. If does not eat anything when he gets up I would get him to the vet.
    My cat Lilly the first time she had pancreatitis threw up all over the house for about half a day, I took her to the vet and she was in the hospital for almost a week on IV fluids and pains meds and such.
    Could he have gotten into anything?
    The main thing is if he is eating or not, things can get serious pretty quickly if they are not eating.

Terri

4. Re: ***NEED HELP****

Diarrhea is a hard one to figure out. And "color" is helpful to know.
    Have they all been yellowish? Yellow seems to indicate "rapid transit". Food is moving thru too fast to form a stool.
    It's that combined with vomiting that raises a red flag to me. That could mean an obstruction or an ingested toxin. Either can cause both symptoms.
    The other concern is dehydration whenever diarrhea goes on for an extended time.

I don't know about kaeopectate with cats. Hopefully others know if it's OK or not.

Can you get him to a vet tomorrow? Diarrhea is a symptom of some underlying "cause", and the vet should be able to figure out what that cause is.

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

6. ceil99

ceil99 Member

yes, his diaherrea has been yellow. He has not gone again since I first posted :thumbup

I did get a sample from the box the last time he went. I tried to not get so much litter.......hopefully it was enough. If he does not eat by tomorrow, I will try and get him and the sample to the vet. It is suppose to be -7 degrees tomorrow with windchills at -40, so it will be a challenge, but I will get there if I have to.

Hopefully I can convince him to eat tonight. He is the most finicky cat I have EVER had, though as far as food. He will only EVER eat his Fancy Feast Dry cat food. He won't eat table scraps, not even steak. He does not like can food. He does not like treats. He will starve if I run out of his dry food nailbite_smile

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

NO Kaopectate - it has a form of salicylate in it which can be toxic to cats.

8. ceil99

ceil99 Member

he is starting to eat a little last night and this morning - a little on his own and a little with my coaxing......

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sendin prayers Ceil...Poor Elwood. :YMSIGH:
    jeanne

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Let us know how things go today with civie Elwood. Sending some healing vines and eat better vines for him.

11. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Re: ***NEED HELP****UPDATE******

He is much better today; eating on his own and just found a big dump in the litter box.....mostly solid but is some mushy stuff in it.

*****ALSO, him and his brother have always been notorious for eating/chewing on plastic nailbite_smile ******

I have some cases of water and found one today that had been chewed on quite a bit and has a piece missing, so he may have been chewing on this or even ate a part of it. Does anyone know if this could have caused this whole episode? Is there any chemicals or anything bad on this plastic?

They find plastic in places that I never even knew there was plastic.

cat(2)_steam

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to see this update!

13. ceil99

ceil99 Member

****THIS IS OFF THEIR WEBSITE - ANY COMMENTS?????*******

"All of our bottles are produced using PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic and High-Density polyethylene (HDPE) caps. These are food-grade plastics that is approved by the US FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) for their use in many types of food containers."

14. terri1962

The plastic chewing may have caused it, my concern would be if he passed the plastic that he ate. My Siamese mix used to chew on plastic as well, trash bags, grocery bags. So I know what thats like.
    Just keep an eye on him and put the plastic away for sure.

Terri

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is it soft or hard plastic?

If he got a piece which was sharp, it could perforate his intestines. It has to be retrieved either with endoscopy or open surgery. It may not be possible to see on standard x-rays unless contrast is used, and difficult even then.

16. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

KT goes after any soft plastic he can find - shopping bags, syringe wrappers but his absolute favorite that he'll do stOOpid things for is the potato bag. He looks like he's gone to heaven when he can chew on the end of those. He doesn't seem to actually eat it, just chews on them. I take them away immediately but sometimes he finds them anyway....what's up with this plastic eating? Carl (Carl and Bob (GA)) had one that did it too...

HUGS and SCRITCHES!

17. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Well, I think I jinxed myself. Just when I thought he was getting better..........I am not so sure now......

He keeps going back to the box like he is cramping and is trying to push out poop, but I don't think there is anything left to poop out after the big dump he took this morning.

Then about 10 min ago, he spit/threw up a good amount of clear liquid.

He is now sitting on my bed napping. I have an appt at the vets this afternoon - I hate to take him out because we have -30 degree windchills today. And, hopefully I can get out of my snowy driveway!

Any ideas about what could be going on now? Could he be getting sensitive to this hard food? What causes sensitivity? He has been on the same food most of his life and he does NOT eat anything else. He is the most finicky cat I have ever had.

18. terri1962

Sorry you have to go out in this, I know I am in Ohio. But it does sound like he need to go. I am not sure what could be going on if he ate something or it could be something like pancreatitis. Please let us know. I swear it almost sounds like a pancreatitis attack to me but who knows. Will be watching for your update after the vet.

Terri

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Before you take him out, make sure you can start up the car and clear what you need to from the driveway.
    It should be getting above 0 degrees about now.

20. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Well, he is up and eating again looking as if nothing is wrong. He is sitting in the window watching the birds.

He is going to drive me insane............. :dizcat

21. terri1962

I would take him anyhow, because you know what will probably happen. After the vet closes tonight he will get sick again nailbite_smile

Terri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.