? Need help w/ BG #s ASAP!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Squalliesmom, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Squallie's AMPS has been pretty consistently in the 400-500s the past couple of months, it was even over 600 a couple of days ago. When all this first started, I was concerned that he was bouncing, but he hasn't except for one recent occasion, seemed to be dropping low enough overnight to make him bounce like that.

This morning my civvie Khoji had a very early appointment with the cardiologist, who is over an hour away, so I had to delay Squallie's AMPS test and breakfast for about an hour, maybe a little more. When I tested his BG at that point, much to my amazement is was 242! What is this telling me?!?! I'm afraid that all this time I have been perpetuating a bounce! I can't think of any other reason it should be 242 when tested one hour later than usual. Please, folks with more experience, weigh in on this! Now I'm concerned that giving him his normal dose will be too much.

2. LindaMS

LindaMS Well-Known Member

I have no experience with Vetsulin at all. However, his spreadsheet does indeed look like he is bouncing pretty hard. I would suppose that were you not feeding at nadir, that he would indeed go very low. If you need to be away, I would say the safest course is to give him a reduced dose.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. Squalliesmom

He has been getting 2.75 U 2x daily, I'm thinking give him 2.5 this AM and maybe 2.25 tonight? I would really love for this to stop, if it is a bounce!!!

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I think varying the amounts is a good idea, Lucy. You can also vary the times - shooting late if the pre shot is low or early if the preshot is high. With Vetsulin, shooting off the 12/12 is fine - trying 11/13 or 11.5/12.5. As long as you are sure the number is rising.

5. Squalliesmom

I briefly tried 11/13 but stupidly kept forgetting, or mixing up the times. I will give it another try, until I can start him on Lantus. Thanks!

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Lucy, sorry I missed your post. They bounce until they stop bouncing. In the beginning Smokey bounced from a pink, then he bounced from a yellow, then blue, now's he clears bounce quicker but still bounce. I don't know if there's a way to stop the bounces, just have to wait them out. Eventually they are shorter and from lower numbers. That is progress.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Squalliesmom

Thanks! :)

We've been through many bounces before, but always with identifiable lows that caused the bounces. For the past two months his BG has been way out of control and I finally upped his dose because I couldn't find any numbers to indicate a bounce, and the lower doses he was on just didn't seem to be controlling it. It has been two+ months of sheer hell for both Squallie and me, trying to sort this out and get him back on track.

I don't know why he was so low this morning but I feel it has to be tied to his late start today (we were and hour or more behind today due to an early AM appointment at the cardiologist for a civvie). I reduced his dose and now I've just had to pull him up from the low 40s! Fingers and paws crossed that we've broken ot of a bounce, finally, and NOT just bounced into another!

8. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Lucy, do you have a smartphone? If so you can set alarms through your clock app and give them individual alarm sounds or tunes to help you remember what you need to do. :bighug:

9. Squalliesmom

Yes, I do. It's funny, because I have alarms set for feeding times, test times and shot times, but I never thought to re-arrange it so the alarms put me on a 11/13 schedule, lol! What an idiot I am sometimes, thank you for the suggestion! :):):)

10. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I imagine it difficult to remember an odd shot time. I would probably forget it a lot. Check I forget my own meds and they sit on my kitchen table.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  11. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I think lantus is on the agenda sooner than later;)
    that being said Dre went from 307 to 94 in 2.5 hours this morning on lantus:oops:

12. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy,

I understand how worrying the last couple of months have been and I really feel for you. :bighug:

I was just looking at Squallie's spreadsheet and it looks like the change of food from 9 Lives to Special Kitty is having a positive influence on Squallie's levels - first yellow AMPS in yonks! Saying a prayer that Squallie's levels will continue to improve and that your stress levels will reduce as a consequence. Are you getting any rest at all?

:bighug::bighug:

Mogs

13. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Whoo hoo!:bighug:A change in food can do wonders! And what I love about smartphone alarms is that you can have different alarms for different situations. I've even done one of me yelling.

For example, if I know I'm really tired, and want to be SURE I'm going to wake up...I use a crying baby sound. :arghh: :nailbiting: No mom, of kit nor kin, on the face of the planet would fail to wake up after hearing that! It rouses me every time.

I had thought about using cat wailing sounds as an alarm, but the first time I tested one out, Gizmo swelled up to about three times his size, (long haired kitty) and his eyes just went BLACK from his pupils dilating until you almost couldn't see any iris color at all. Dottie wasn't happy with the sounds, either, so I reluctantly ditched the cat-erwauling. But the baby sound works great. I guess they can tell the difference, even though a crying infant sounds so much like some kitties' unhappy cries.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Squalliesmom

Lol, I have alarms stored on my phone for every half-hour all through the day and night! I just have to choose the one(s) I want and flick it on.

15. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Laughing hard. I have 12 years experience working with infants in both childcare and private settings and nothing on this earth can grab my attention faster than the sound of a newborn's cry. Nothing.

Critter Mom and Squalliesmom like this.
  16. Squalliesmom

My kids are grown, now, 25 and 27, but if I'm out shopping and hear a baby cry I instinctively look for "my" baby, lol.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

Although I have no hooman kids I've never liked to see a child upset. Since developing PTSD I have a really hard time when I hear alert sounds like police sirens or smoke alarms, but that pales into insignificance when compared to the intensity of distress I now experience if I hear a child crying or screaming: it completely overwhelms me - feels like the world's going to end. (Yet another thing that makes me dread being outside the house.)

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  18. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Lucy, maybe it would be a good idea to grab a +11 to see what is happening in the last hour of the PM Cycle. Maybe Squallie has been dipping down then and the AM are a bounce.

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  19. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to know I am not the only one using alarms on my phone to the extreme

20. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:cat:Yes, I have pre-programmed alarms like you do, Lucy. My poor old phone is going to self-destruct someday. :nailbiting:It'll just plain catch on fire. Probably when I need it most, ack:banghead:

21. Critter Mom

Shoulda seen me when Saoirse was in lower numbers on Caninsulin. I used to be bricking it so badly that I set the alarm to go off every 10 minutes from the time of insulin onset until I knew for a fact that the dose was wearing off and her numbers were on the rise (about 6 hours of every cycle). My poor girl didn't get a proper snooze for a couple of weeks; any time I saw her sleeping I kept nudging her to make sure she hadn't gone hypo on me. :oops:

Mogs

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

Oh Mogs, I'm glad I'm not the only one who nudges their kitty to make sure they are sleeping not hypo-diving..... poor Sparkle finally gave me a decent number and he is snoring in his bed, but I'm waiting up another hour to make sure it sticks.....laughing at the nudging.... it might only be funny after 8 hours of low numbers, forced food and no sleep, but I appreciate the smile

23. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

I had to go buy a cheap alarm clock at WalMart when Sparkle was dxed. I have enough fun with that...cannot even imagine a Smartphone.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  24. Squalliesmom

I can understand why that would be shattering! I'm so sorry you have to experience this, it must be so debilitating for you!

25. Squalliesmom

Jeanne, I recently got a new phone, so I transferred all my alarms over to it. But I still have them active on my old phone as well, as well as my iHome. It's insane around here at feeding/testing times, with alarms going off in different rooms around the house, lol. My kids think I'm nuts (maybe I am, lol)!

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. Squalliesmom

I still do that to Squallie during periods of BG instability, sometimes he must really wish I'd let him catch a nap, lol!

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Squalliesmom

You're right, Bobbie, I probably should, but by the time his +11 in the AM rolls around I'm usually just getting my 3rd or 4th hour of sleep and I just don't wake up till test time/breakfast. And even that is a huge challenge! I have terrible insomnia and, most days, only get 3-4 hours sleep. :arghh::blackeye::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  28. Squalliesmom

Squallie went low again last night, so today he still got a reduced dose, even though his AMPS was 404. Fingers crossed that we will ultimately be able to reduce it a bit more and get him stabilized on it so we can switch over to Lantus soon!!!

29. Critter Mom

It really is quite an extraordinary reaction, Lucy. It's accompanied by the most intense urge to ensure that the child is safe.

Same here. I really feel for you, Lucy. Long term sleep deprivation of that order really does take its toll on a person.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Keeping fingers and paws crossed in the Shire for Squallie's numbers to settle into a better range so that he'll feel better and his mama bean won't be so worried about him.

Mogs

Squalliesmom likes this.
  30. Squalliesmom

Thank you, Mogs! :):bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  31. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Hubby can't believe how little sleep I have been getting. He wakes, and I'm awake... He comes home from work and I am awake. He goes to bed and I'm awake.. Gets up again and I'm STILL awake. He doesn't see the catnaps.. So he's spooked.

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Critter Mom

Doesn't sleep. Keeps looking for blood samples ...

[​IMG]

No wonder he's spooked. :p

Mwuhahahaha!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.