Need help with a diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenniwood, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenniwood

Jenniwood New Member

Hello I'm new here with this site as well as the whole diabetic thing. I have a 10 year old male that was diagnosed with diabetes on 12/6/2017. I was given a script for lantus. I my self have a bad back and I'm on disability so I live on a fixed income. The lantus is around 300$ to fill. When I first found out about my cat I couldn't afford his insulin right away. I came across a natural drops that is supposed to help lower his numbers so I bought it online. Figured something is better then nothing. Plus I bought a bag of diabetic food from the vet. 60$ for a 10 pounds. When Nemo my male cat was diagnosed his numbers were around 450. I got his numbers to go down to 330 while being on the natural drops with the food. But I know this wasn't low enough so last week I finally got his lantus insulin. I would do anything for my little guy. So today after being on the lantus for 5 days I decided I would check his numbers. Today when I did his numbers were 433. So I don't understand what's going on. Let me start by saying he was a 22 pound cat before he was diagnosed with diabetes. Then when I took him a month ago to the vet he was down to 14.6 pounds. So that's when the vet decided to check his blood work. That's when I found out he had diabetes. I kind of thought something was going in because I could tell he was losein weight. Now he is down to 12 pounds. I was told to start him in 1 unit twice a day. Like I said I just stated him on the lantus insulin. So I haven't even done the every 2 hour curve yet. Im gonna do that once he is on it for two more days. Because I was told to give it to him for 7 to 10 days then do the two hour curve. Then I need to give the vet his numbers. I also ran out if his diabetic food that I got from the vet. So I went online to look to see what else I could feed him. I have seen many things but the most thing I see is to put your cat on wet food. The problem is that my cat isn't use to eating wet food. He has always eaten dry food. So I came across a site that said to feed him a food called orijen which is high in protein. So I ordered it. I have been trying to get him to switch to wet food but I'm not having any luck. However he does like the orijen dry cat food. So I'm hoping this food is good for him. I don't understand why his numbers are higher on the insulin then the natural drops. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I should also mention that I had two cats. I just recently lost one two weeks ago. He was 14 an he was diagnosed with a hyperthyroidism. They both became sick at the same time. Which I couldn't believe was happening. My other cat was to far gone an even though I did everything I could to make him better it just wasn't in the cards.im just heart broken about the whole situation.plus I'm sure the other cat I have with the diabetes is also missing his brother. Even though they weren't really brothers. I'm so worried that something will happen to this cat. I just won't be able to live with myself if something happens to him as well. Like I said he is only 10. I think losein a cat at 14 was too young.i really need some help!!! I don't know what to do or if I'm doing something wrong. Also I switched his dry food to the orijen because the vet it about an hour away from me an I had read that there isn't anything different in the diabetic food. The orijen food is expensive too.i might get an extra 2 pounds of food to the diabetic food. I still try to get him to eat wet food but haven't had any luck. I really hope someone can help. I really don't know what else to do. My cat is my everything an now more then ever. I would do anything for him even if I have to do without. I can't imagine life without him. Any help I can get would be great. Thank u in advance!! I look forward to hearing from anyone.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've come to the best [place for help with your diabetic kitty. :) Please repost on the main health forum where more people will see it. We can start giving you some useful info over there. This is the meet and greet forum.

When you post on the main health forum please summarize the following:
    • your kitty's date of diagnosis
    • the insulin you're using and the dose he's on
    • what he eats
    • what glucose meter you use
    • any other meds or health issues he has.
    We can health you with money saving tips and get you started on an insulin dosing routine that will get your kitty's BG under better control.

3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. We can help you, including with other places to buy less expensive insulin supplies. We generally recommend wet as it has less carbs. As Kris said, please summarize your questions in a post to the main forum here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Sorry to hear your other kitteh went to the Rainbow Bridge. We all love out cats on this forum too.

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome !!

I'm sorry about your kitty's diagnose but there are a lot of people here with tons of experience that can help you. There are options for the supplies that will help you save some money starting with the food it doesn't have to be a prescription food so you may even find a cheaper option that he likes better.

As they said start posting all your questions in the main health forum or in the lantus forum , and since you are going to be using lantus this is some very good information to start with

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...the-basics-new-to-the-group-start-here.18139/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.