Need help with a possible remission - new member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dona, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dona

Dona New Member

Hi, my name is Maria from the UK. I have a fabulous 13 year old male neutered bengal who was diagnosed with DM in July 2011. He was started on Caninsulin 2units twice a day which went up to 3 units after a week. I was lucky in that Kyle allowed me to inject him and take blood glucose (BG) readings easily, allowing me to conduct my own glucose curves at home. I did a lot of research and changed his diet to a low-carb one. However, having another bengal who will only eat dry food, I was lucky to have found a dry food (Applaws) which contains 80% meat and is <15% carbs. This is free-fed but Kyle is given a complimentary wet food at injection times which also contains 80% fish or meat. All was going well, he thirst returned to normal, he gained weight and became more active, his BG curves were good with levels measuring under 14 mmol for most of the day. However, just over 2 weeks ago I started to get BG readings that were only around 8 or 9 at injecting times and even dropping down to 1.9 on one occassion at nadir. I made the decision not to inject on 2 evenings as Kyle likes to go out at night, and he could go into a hypo. I consulted with my vet and a decision was made to stop injecting the insulin as Kyle was probably in remission. However, during the following 3 days, his BG started to rise slowly, reaching 20, when a decision was made to start injecting caninsulin again, 2 units twice a day. I did the BG reading 3 times a day. The BG stayed in the high teens at injecting time for 4 days, but then went down to around 7 - 8 with nadir being around 3.5. I lowered the dose to 1 unit and even skipped some evening shots again. His BG was only 5.7 in the morning before his feed. Another visit to the vet who has advised me to stop injecting again and return in 1 week. I am really stressed now!! I have tried doing some more research and feel that I would like to test BG and then make the decision whether to inject or not - IS THIS OK WITH CANINSULIN? Also, how much to inject? and what should the BG reading be?
    Can I have some advice please,
    Regards
    Maria and Kyle

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The trouble with Canninsulin is that you usually get a fast drop and then it's gone after 6-8 hours, so basing your dose on individual numbers is difficult. If you could completely get rid of the dry, you might have an OTJ kitty. Have you seen this site by a vet with ideas for transitioning from dry? www.catinfo.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.