Need help with bloodwork

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I am cross-posting this inquiry here on Health (from Stu's daily Lantus thread). Stu has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and is in the early stages of chronic kidney disease. He has been diabetic for about 4 1/2 years. We are in the process of trying to determine if he would be a candidate for the I-131 radioiodine treatment for hyperT. I have been in contact with Dr. Mark Peterson's Hypurrcat Facility and Stu's vet will be sending Dr. Peterson the results of the second round of bloodwork (to be done this Wednesday, 25 August). I would be most appreciative if some of you very knowledgeable peeps would take a look at what I have written in my Lantus thread and give advice and opinion. Many thanks! The following is what I wrote this morning in Lantus:

Hi Everyone,

I am so frustrated! I just got finished writing a long post about the bloodwork Stu is getting on Wednesday because I need advice, and my connection to the board timed out!! Lost it all!! (and, of course, since I am not familiar with the medical abbreviations, it will be a chore to reconstruct). Well, here goes!

Hypurrcat (Dr. Peterson's facility for the I-131 treatment for hyperthyroidism) has done a preliminary analysis of Stu's previous bloodwork (from 2 weeks ago) and says that Stu's next round of bloodwork will be a good determinant with regard to whether or not he will be a viable candidate for I-131. They said to get the following: "Vet-Screen, CBC, T4, complete renal values". I have checked the ANTECH website and found out that their Geriatric Senior Profile (test #5013) consists of the following: "Vet-Screen, CBC, T4, UA". The Vet-Screen has the following components: Albumin, Alk Phos, ALT, BUN, Calcium, Chloride, Cholesterol, CPK, Creatinine, Globulin, Glucose, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Total Bilirubin, Total Protein. A separate "Renal Profile" (test #SA310) has the following: Albumin, BUN, Calcium, Creatinine, Globulin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Total Protein, CBC, urinalysis. These two tests seem to have a lot of duplications. Would the Renal Profile contribute more data because it is more urine-specific? Also, I don't see that either of the screenings includes the USG (urine-specific gravity) test.
    Stu's vet is reluctant to get a urine sample during the office visit. He says that Stu's bladder might be empty and that I should get a sample at home. I know that this will not be sterile. Is it important to have a sterile sample for a proper "renal profile", or is a sterile sample only required for a C & S (culture and specificity)?? I don't want to compromise a test that might be crucial in determining Stu's candidacy for the I-131.
    I would be grateful if WCF, Cassandra, Linda, Sienne, et al. would take a look at the above and tell me if anything is missing. My vet did all of his analysis of Stu's last bloodwork "in house" with the exception of the T4, Free T4, and Cortisol, Resting, which he sent to ANTECH. I would like him to send everything to ANTECH this time. Does anyone know if "Vet-Screen" is ANTECH's proprietary name for that test? If so, I can simply tell the vet that Hypurrcat requested the ANTECH "Vet-Screen". I need to be a bit delicate in dealing with Stu's vet. He's the only one in our town and I think he is a good one, but I know very little about such things!
    Many thanks in advance,

Ella

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

My post from Lantus

It appears to me that the Geriatric Senior Profile (test #5013) covers EVERYTHNG the "Renal Profile" (test #SA310) does, and more. I think it would be redundant to do both.

The USG is measured in the urine (specifically the urinalysis), not the blood. It is best to have a fresh, sterile sample by cystocentesis for a UA, but a clean, fresh catch would do as well. As Sienna suggested, check with Dr. P's office whether they need a sterile sample test. (You are right that a sterile sample MUST be used for a C&S.)

There is a wikia article on laboratory tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.