Need help with diabetic kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommyMoo19901, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommyMoo19901

MommyMoo19901 New Member

Hi. My name is Christina
    My sugar kitty Bella has been in remission for a year. She is on a low carb wet food diet. She takes zobaline.
    We just noticed about 30 minutes ago that she she is having trouble standing and walking. She is eating a little bit. She is not meowing in pain or breathing heavy.
    I will take her to the vet first thing in the morning but any ideas of what might be happening.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I have no input, but I hope she improves. Healing vines to Bella.

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Have you tested her in case she's fallen out of remission? Her blood glucose *could be high* and she *could be* throwing ketones if she's no longer in remission. If possible test her blood glucose and then urine for ketones. If urine ketones are higher than "trace", I would take her to an ER. Otherwise it could probably wait til you take her to the vet in the morning. In the meantime, I'd try to get her to eat more and either syringe water or add as much water to her food as she'll tolerate.

The basic recipe for developing DKA = an insufficient supply of insulin + inappetance + infection OR other systemic stresses.

However, "if" breathing becomes a problem or she exhibits rapid breathing or seems in pain... it's best to take her in to be checked out immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.