Need Help With Diarrhea Issue Please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

My newly diagnosed cat, Blackie, has been having diarrhea and loose stool since over 2 weeks. She was on the Hill's Prescription W/D formula dry (per the vet's request), and the Saturday before the Tuesday, also per the vet's request, we put her on the wet W/D. Since between then and Tuesday morning, she was fine. Tuesday afternoon, she went into a hypoglycemic episode. Naturally, I dropped the next dosage down to 1 unit (she was on 8 units BID while eating that crap), and with the help of a good friend, brought her around. She was on FF Classic from that night on. Since she's been on the FF Classic diet (first it was chicken, now it's turkey & giblet), she's been having problems with diarrhea. I put her on psyllium capsules, and she's been on the psyllium since June 26th, and I add one to each meal (3x a day). I know that it's 100% fiber, but this has been going on for far too long now.

Her stools started to look like they were getting harder, but this morning, it was the runs.

What can I do to help her? Would I need to switch her food to Friskies or Special Kitty?

Thank you in advance for any ideas and suggestions. I want the food to stay IN her body so that she can get the nutrients, not go right through her.

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

The food switch is probably what is causing this, and not necessarily the food type itself. I would try some sort of pro-biotic to see if that would help. (forti flora made by purina, any acidophilus supplement - some even use pain whole yogurt for this) Also many have had good luck with adding a bit of pumpkin to the diet. I just went out yesterday to find some due to experiencing the same issues with Yoda, but none of the grocery stores around here have it this time of year.

3. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I agree with Kelly that it is probably all the diet changes. I would try to keep to one diet and add some probiotics to see if it helps. Every cat is different so it may take some time to see a difference, butI hope you see it soon. And are you making sure she is hydrated? Good luck!

4. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

She's drinking water, there's no problem with that. She was on the Hill's Prescription W/D dry and then we switched to wet food (after I suggested it to the vet), but vet wanted her to eat the W/D formula wet instead of the Fancy Feast that I've got her on now. At the time of the W/D formula, Blackie was also on 8 units BID, which resulted in her going hypoglycemic 3 days later (the high carb diet and the 8 units BID I'm sure is what caused it). That same night after I got Blackie back to safer #'s, I immediately dropped her insulin down to 1 unit BID and switched her food to the Fancy Feast Classic, and she's been on that ever since (over 2 weeks now).

Unfortunately, I couldn't gradually switch her over due to the circumstances at the time. I would've preferred to gradually switch her over, but I couldn't.

5. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

some cats do have a reaction to the flavoring in FF. can you try another low carb food off janet & binky's list (not friskies, as the ingredients are similar)?

my cat harry responded well to a course of flagyl for 7 to 10 days. before that , per his vet's advice, for a week i gave him chicken breast boiled in plain water to see if that would firm up his stool. both helped a lot. that might be a good way to transition your cat to a different cat food.

6. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Can Insulin cause them to get diarrha just wondering Trey started a bit today but could be the heat cause he is fine otherwise.....Of course he gets a bit of people tuna so I blame that too.....Hope Blackie will soon have a nice solid poop for you Angels and prayers coming to help with those Hypo attacks too >>>>LOL Kath

7. cyndi&ben

cyndi&ben New Member

Dear Angela,
    Please consider stopping the psyllium that you are giving Blackie for the time being. Three capsules a day is an awful lot of fiber for a cat and it can sometimes cause abdominal cramping, irritable bowel and resulting in diarrhea. Pumpkin is a good addition for fiber and is low glycemic. (My cat's not crazy about it but some cats love it!). Maybe just boiled chicken or baby food chicken or turkey- make sure it is only meat and doesn't contain onion powder as some baby foods do). And keep watch that Blackie is drinking enough water and not getting dehydrated. I hope Blackie feels better soon. I know how hard it is to see your pet feeling ill and how much you are trying to help her feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.