? Need help with dosing tonight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Dec 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi I'm Diane Tyler's Mom Linda usually helps me but she is out tonight
    Not sure what to shoot since he's never had this low of a PMPS pre shot
    I switched to a human meter on 12-18-19 you will see it on my spread sheet
    He is on vetsulin, will be switching to lantus next week
    On 12-19-19 his AMPS was 100 and shot 0.5 but recently I have been up all night steering him and I'm exhausted. Do you think it's safe to shoot 0.25 u
    He's beendoing so good but don't want to chance 0.5 Thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi Diane. Although I can't offer dosing advise, I did find the information below on the Vetsulin forum.

Q. It’s time for my cat’s shot, but the BG is a little too low. What now?
    • If your cat’s BG is a bit below 200 mg/dL [11 mmol/L] on a human meter, consider ‘stalling’.
    • Stalling is waiting - without feeding your cat - for 20+minutes, then retesting to see if the BG has risen to a suitable level.
    • If using a pet meter, such as Alphatrak2, you may want to raise number above 200 mg/dL. (If in doubt seek advice from your vet.)
    • You are looking for a number that is rising, not falling, and is high enough to give insulin.
    • Note: As you gain experience with home testing, and have gathered data to show how your cat responds to insulin, you might consider it safe to reduce the ‘no shoot’ threshold, and to give insulin at lower pre-shot numbers.
    • If you have time, you can repeat the stalling process to see if the cat’s BG reaches a number you can shoot. If in doubt, skip the shot. However if your cat has history of ketones or DKA, or other health issues, or you are concerned, DO post on the Main Health forum for further advice.
    • Ask for help on the forum before giving insulin if you are unsure, as you can never ‘un-shoot’ insulin.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks Judy I appreciate it

4. Judy and Freckles

@Bron and Sheba are on. Let's see if they can offer you some advice?

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks Judy

6. Judy and Freckles

@Bron and Sheba - let's see if this tag works for you lol

7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Judy and Freckles

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

I went ahead and shot 0.25 u , couldn't wait any longer for help

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  10. Judy and Freckles

You shot .5u on 12/25 when Tyler was @ 108. 108 is within the meter variance of 93 so let's see what kind of response Tyler gives you with a .25. Sorry I coudn't be of much help.

You have higher carb food and testing strips just in case?

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem he was even lower on the 19th day cycle and I shot 0.5 just didn't want to chance it or hopefully not be up until 4 am again.plus since they usually go lower at night

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m sorry I didn’t see any tags until I just came back online now. I see you went ahead and shot anyway.ill keep an eye out for you a bit later.
    I’d get a +2

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA) hi Bron just tested Tyler @+1 - 97 just gave him some FF Gravy Lover's 15% carbs going to check him @+2 again. Elmo is up to his tricks again, me and Beth were up 2 nights ago with these two., Last night I was up until 4 am

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'll look for your +2. By my calculation in about 1\2 hour, is that right?

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Bron just tested @+2 - 102 it's 12:19 am, I'm in New Jersey he's not hungry , I'll test him again @+3?

Beth 73 likes this.
  16. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) Hey Bron ❤️ Elmo and I are fine ...you have taught me well ...if I have a prob I'll post here ...was checking on Diane in vetsulin earlier when Elmo decided to do his thing so we were posting ... don't want to make this confusing ...

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It's mid afternoon for me so you are not keeping me up..
    Looking at his SS he doesn't seem to drop a lot with the Vetsulin. Do you normally feed him at +2?
    If you feel comfortable testing +3 that sounds like a good plan.

Hi Beth. Nice to see you and Elmo. Haven't seen much of you lately.
    If you need help, I think it's best to start a separate post as it will only get confusing having two being helped on the one thread.
    Is that ok with you?
    Elmo.....behave!

Beth 73 likes this.
  18. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA) I usually feed him @+2 if he's dropped a lot , but by +2 this tubby of mine is looking to eat again. If I do give him a few kibbles its Dr Elsey Chicken just to shut him up. Yes Linda can't believe how stable he is on vetsulin, but I'm switching anyway to lantus next week. Now I will really be a nervous Nelly. Ask Linda how I am lol

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I think you are doing really well.
    I’m glad you are swapping to Lantus. It’s a good insulin for cats.

20. Beth 73

Hey Bron !! Yep, if I need help I'll start a new thread here on this Board . Don't think I will need help tho after all your great coaching , especially how you dealt with Sheba's diving and bouncing ❤️ I've been following your suggestions along with Linda's and Elmo has been doing much better . A million Thank yous to you . Hope the fires have ceased and the temps moderated . Sounds like a bake oven down under !

21. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I'm glad Elmo is behaving himself....mostly.
    We have had cooler weather the last several days....mid 20s ...and the fires are more under control but we are forecast another heatwave at the weekend and they are saying the fire danger is going to escalate again. We still have over 100 fires burning in my state alone.
    They are saying that over 2000 koala bears have been killed! Isn't that terrible....not to mention all the other animals.

Beth 73 likes this.
  22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh my god Bron I didn't know this, I just googled about it, what a shame. Are you OK where you are

23. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes we are ok but are next to a National Park so have to be vigilant..
    We have been affected by all the smoke more than anything else so far.

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

That's so sad about all the animals, the smoke must be awful by you
    I just tested Tyler @+3.75 - 94 so he dropped a little, he's really not looking to eat right now, I know it's early in the cycle so I'll keep testing him. Do you think I can wait an hour to test again, now he's hungry lol just gave him about a tablespoon of 6% carbs, will check in an hour from now since he just ate which will be @+4.75

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  25. Beth 73

Oh, that makes me sad and sick . Read ab the koalas and I cried . Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers , Bron ❤️

26. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes, as long as you are comfortable with that

27. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA)
    now he's hungry lol just gave him about a tablespoon of 6% carbs, will check in an hour from now since he just ate which will be @+4.75

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Bron and Sheba (GA) oh Bron what a beautiful kitty Sheba was, so pretty, I'm so sorry about her and Max, so you have Harry and Clover now. You are right a house without a cat is empty. Tyler has a brother Perry.
    He has kidney disease but is doing very good. Has been in stage 2 for yrs now.
    He also takes phenobarbital and keppra for seizures, but thank god he hasn't had one in about 9 months, oh and he takes cerenia also. Does it ever end.

29. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Yes I miss all my GA kitties. I have had many over the years and I am a mess whenever one passes. I was certainly closer to Sheba than any other cat I have had. Yes she was a beauty...I called her my snow leopard.
    Yes Harry, who gets up to so much mischief, and Clover now keep me company. Harry particularly is affectionate. Clover is more independent....I think girl cats are.
    In glad Tyler has Perry as company. Sheba had early stage CRD but remained stable.

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

I have had 3 that have passed way back, but I still cry over them after all this time.
    So I know what you mean
    Just tested Tyler @+5- 126 no food
    Probably will do one more test, its 3:30 am now , I can't thank you enough for watching over us, I'm happy we got to talk and meet each other, I'm sure we will be talking regularly. I think I'll sign off for now, thanks again Bron:bighug:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  31. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You are very welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.