Need help with food choice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by njlarry, Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njlarry

njlarry Member

I am looking for major name brand wet and dry cat foods readily available in the supermarket that are low in carbs.
    I have two cats who are used to dry food and one has been found diabetic. Luckily the diabetic guy prefers canned food. Right now I am overwhelmed and really need a recommendation for a low carb canned and dry food available in the supermarket. I have seen the online charts which are great but way too overwhelming for me now. I also am not in a position to buy weekly bags of special food at the vets for $27 a bag. BTW, I found very little difference in the dry Vet food vs the dry supermarket food in carbs etc. to justify $27 vs $4 a bag.
    Please help.
    I would like to let the non diabetic guy keep his kibble and feed the diabetic guy canned food twice a day knowing he may cheat a little sometimes. Hence the need for both dry and canned low carb food.
    Thank you for any help.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Low carb canned food in the grocery is easy, Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies Pates, 9 Lives Pates, make sure there's no gravy. Low carb dry from the grocery doesn't exist. The only low carb dry foods are Young Again (only available online) Evo (online and some specialty pet stores) Epigen 90, and Waggers.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can transition your non-diabetic cat over to canned food, that will make it easier to keep your diabetic cat's glucose levels under control. Even though these are low carb dry foods, they still have more of an effect on your cat's glucose levels than canned food. By getting both cats on the same diet will help you with your diabetic one and also reduce the chance the other one will develop FD.

4. njlarry

njlarry Member

Good points. I have to balance the low carb can food vs the convenience of dry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.