Need help with insulin for Oreo Joe

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bonnie & Oreo Joe, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Hello,
    I forgot to ask what do I do if Oreo is just above shooting - 216. His NADIR was 12.2 today. What if it is around that number? When do I lower the dose if he is close to 216 or do I give 3 U anyway?

2nd question. He has always had hard stools and since I had Miralax that I brought back from Sweden for my other cat I gave him some daily. Now I can no longer go to the USA and it is not allowed to be sent to Sweden. I can't find it in any EU country and am looking for something to use instead. Customs are checking pkgs and I can't just hope to have a friend send me a pkg. Last time I paid ½ of what I paid for the items. Last time I had a bottle sent was years ago and the friend didn't buy the generic so I paid $22 for the Miralax and $24 in postage. So I have been using SEB sprinkled on his food 3 or 4 times a day would equal about 1 1/4 tsp a day. When I cut back even a tiny bit on Miralax ( he has gotten 1/4 tsp two times a day) his stools are so hard he leaps from the litter box often dropping a piece on the floor.
    What do I try?
    Thank you!!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

You don't need to lower the dose. That rule is for people who are new to the process and don't know how to test consistently yet. Based on your nadirs, Oreo needs an increase, not a decrease, regardless of the PS numbers. Also, I would recommend getting tests at other times besides +6. Not every cat hits nadir at +6. For example, mine is usually around +3, others are around +8, etc. So scattering your testing times is important in order to get a full picture of how Oreo Joe is responding.

We aren't in Sweden, so this is a hard question to answer. I would recommend that you take the Miralax to the pharmacy with you and ask the pharmacist for assistance in finding a product with similar ingredients.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Have you tried guar gum, psyllium husk powder or pumpkin? Catfoodinfo.org mentions those. They do increase the bulk of the poop though, and the recommendation is to add extra water to food when you are using them. https://catinfo.org/?s=constipation#Constipation

4. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Hi, I figured Oreo Joe needs an increase in insulin but what I meant was if he has a BG of say 210 or a couple points over do I still give the 3U of insulin or do I cut just that dose? I don't want to see him go to low. I read the guide lines and it says 150 to 200 can be a no shoot. So if he is 200 I could actually shoot and be safe.

When a vet or pharmacist is asked about stool softeners they say, All we have is liquid paraffin oil for cats. Nothing else is available. I looked up Phyllium husk and the pharmacy has that. I did find Metamucil was ok for cats and of course it is not available here but can get it for about 35 dollars with postage from Amazon Germany or UK. But Amazon is coming to Sweden so no postage on any order is their rule here.
    We went 3 hours to a store that carries America foods Roger dropped me off and parked 7 blocks away (no parking lot!) I large can of plain pumpkin was $7 and both my old cat and Oreo wouldn't go near it not even mixed in teeny bits in their food. We have no plain pureed baby food but that wouldn't matter. Oreo Joe eats only raw chicken and the best for a diabetic cat food but refuses the pate' now that he has eaten for 5 years. He has only eaten chicken and turkey. Now the same food ½ the amount and the same price as the pate' must be in pieces and gel. The little box of food has 1/3 gel and the pieces are just pate' that they cut in small pieces. He is eating about 1 ½ cups a day or more. He drinks all the time so I will start with the Phyllium and on to other ideas I find on the net. Said any veggie oil, the veggies he won't touch. Anyway. I sort of answered my own question didn't I? I will begin testing more during the day for a few days and then come back for help in increasing his insulin.
    Brain fog and some forced labor I had to do in the house scrambled my brain more than usual. So sorry.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Maybe this site will have other suggestions for you

www.felineconstipation.org

6. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Thank you! I have decided to list everything I can find in Sweden and check to see what I can give a cat. These times I have cultural shock!! lol

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.