Need help with missed insulin dose

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by PatJ, Dec 7, 2018.

1. PatJ

PatJ Member

Is it too late to give a cat a shot 2 hours later than usual. Was afraid to dose him at the right time because his levels were lower than usual. at the evening pre-shot it's usually between 18.0 and 23.0mmol and tonight it was 13.6 and I didn't know how much to give him, but have just tested him again and he's up to 20.9mmol so he really needs his insulin. As long as I dose him at the same time in the morning, will it be all right? and should I have dosed him the usual 2 1/2 units anyway? Would be very grateful to anyone who wouldn't mind advising me. He is on Prozinc. Thanks

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

If by "the same time" you mean 12 hours from now, then yes, you can give him a shot now. Then over the next few cycles you can slowly work your way back to your regular time.

As far as the dose, I'm afraid I can't advise since we can't see his usual numbers and patterns. Is there anyone near you who might be able to come over and help you get the spreadsheet sorted?

Rachel likes this.
  3. PatJ

PatJ Member

Djamila, Thanks so much for replying. I didn't inject him because his levels were much lower than usual and I didn't want to give him too much or too little in case he could have had another hypo, but testing him a little while ago he was at 20.0mmol and just now 24.0 so I've dosed him. That video link you sent me was absolutely perfect except there was no long bar at the top of the spreadsheet so I had nothing to click on but I was so grateful to you. Hope it's not too much longer to get that spreadsheet set up. I know it's essential. Again, many thanks.

Rachel and Djamila like this.