Need help with reducing insulin after dry to wet change!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mkivalex, Sep 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mkivalex

Mkivalex New Member

Hello I'm a new member here and my cat is Stu. Hes a great guy and I will fill you in on his story.

Stu is 8 years old. 4 years ago he became very Ill was in full keto. After many days at the vet hospital and many dollars we brought him home.

Using DM dry we had him on lantus up to 5 units but could never get a good curve. Always high numbers. Then one day testing pre food after 3-4 months of insulin and he was like 5.5. So we monitored and he was In remission...until about a year ago.

This is when we noticed all the signs of being unregulated.

For the past year working with the vet we had increased his dose fro. 2-6 units with still no regulation.

At this point I took It into my own hands and even though the ver said dry DM was good I switched to wet food. After a couple days on Merrick wet he was still reading high (15-18) on 5 units.... then about a week ago he looked a little hazy and I tested again. He was 2.5!!! So I gave him some dry to bring up his numbers. Gave him no insulin and the nest morning he was back to 18.5 with one meal of dry and no insulin.

Since we have reduced his dosage to 2 units on wet food. And testing has been good. But testing last night he was 5.5 before dinner so we gave no insulin and 9.5 this morning before breakfast. So I gave 1 unit of insulin

At what point should I consider stopping insulin?

Thanks for the help

2. JeanW

JeanW Member

Welcome!

Put a question mark in front of your thread title to draw more attention.

I am not an expert. But posting in the Lantus section of this forum will help members more experienced with Lantus to see your question.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. It would be very helpful if you would create a signature that gives Stu's pertinent info with each of your posts, then you don't have to repeat and it carries with you wherever you post. Here's a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE
    I agree with JeanW that posting in the Lantus forum would be a good idea, to get informed responses faster. I think they are going to request as much BG testing data as possible, and we do have a spreadsheet we use here on the board. If you could get that going and plug in as much info as possible I'm sure they would be able to use that to better advise you. SPREADSHEET

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.