911 Need Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MaineLove, Jul 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Had good numbers today 849 AM 200 630PM 76 gave her a little snack now at feeding time before her meal is 49. Coral is eating now, her usual 1/2 C half wet and half dry z/d. Should I give her the regular dose of 2 units or back it off a little?

Thanks, Kathe

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

DON'T shoot

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  3. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

BJM - Will her numbers go up after she eats? Should I test her every 1/2 hour or 1 hour to check her numbers? She was headed the right direction, just don't know what it going on. Frustrating. Kathe

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Without a spreadsheet and some tests taken at pre-shot and mid-cycle between shots, I have no clue what she might do.
    Yes, the numbers should go up when she eats. Without a spreadsheet, though, you should skip tonight because we don't know what would be safe for her.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And speaking of a spreadsheet = can we get you started using our grid to record your glucose tests? It will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Ideally, you want a safe number to shoot twice a day.
    For new folks, we suggest you don't shoot below 200 mg/dL or 11.1 mmol/L.

As you collect more test data and get it in the spreadsheet, plus add a signature block about your cat, you, and any special circumstances, you'll be ready to move into the Lantus forum and post there. Then, you'll drop your no shot limit to 150 mg/dL. As you get more comfortable, you may even learn to shoot low to stay low ... but not today! (I'm not up for staying up all night while you test him every 30 minutes and feed him high carb gravy!)

7. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

I've seen the spread sheet and will work on getting it set up. Her stats yesterday were 8:43AM before her meal was 100 at 12:56PM it was 207 at 5:16 187 and 8:13PM was 376. She usually spikes up in the late afternoon so today was a little unusual to see such a drop that is why I gave her a little snap of her dry z/d. Do I need to do an all night vigil?

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you do not shoot, she should be safe, and likely nice and high in the morning,
    I'm guessing that maybe half of the dose you were giving in the morning, so long as she is above 200 mg/dL.
    I've posted in Lantus and asked that they keep an eye out for you, since you are new to using it.

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That 49 tells us her dose is too high. How many units is kitty getting?

10. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Thanks, guardian angel! So much to learn and very overwhelming since I want to help her and not harm her because of my lack of knowledge. Kathe

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

2 units
    (1st post)

12. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

The vet upped her dose from 1 1/2 units to 2 units 6/25/15. The last two days were her lowest BG levels. She had been running in the 300 and 400 ranges previously.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'd skip tonight. Maybe try 1.75 units tomorrow morning. You have to eyeball that.

14. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Just tested her and her BG is 307. What a wild swing!

15. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

You're on the right track, Kathe. Blood sugar does change throughout the 12 hour cycle between shots. I agree that you need to reduce the dose.

The spreadsheet is an invaluable tool for us. Everything is important depending on its timing in relationship to the last shot. Because of the way Lantus works, we also like to look at the previous week or so and see the tests laid out on the spreadsheet.

I'm in the Willamette Valley - that makes us neighbors. Welcome!

16. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

Thought I would take another look to see if there were any further responses. Thanks for taking the time. Hopefully I will be able get the spread sheet up and running. Have done two curves for the vet and been using the log book that came with the IPet. We are neighbors, beautiful wine country! We're in Bandon-By-The-Sea. Good night for now.

17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

She's probably bouncing.....Bounces happen for 3 reasons. 1, they go too low 2. they drop too quickly and 3. they just go lower than their body has become used to.

The liver responds by releasing stored sugars and hormones to bring the blood glucose up fast and then you get a "bounce". Bounces can take up to 3 days to clear, so it's important to know when they're bouncing and when their numbers are just too high and they may need more insulin.

That's another reason we really love our spreadsheet program. It makes it easier to see what's going on and we'll be better able to help you in the future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.