Need Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Christine07, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christine07

Christine07 New Member

Hello Everyone,
    My cat just was diagnosed with diabetes. Her blood sugar level is 561. I have been trying to find a job after graduating from college and unfortunately have only been able to land a cashiers position. Do you know Of any organizations that would help with medicine & vet costs? I realize a lot of individuals are going through similar challenges, but I hope maybe someone on this forum can help.
    Thanking you in advance,
    Christine

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Christine and welcome. Sorry your kitty has been diagnosed with diabetes. It can be quite expensive, but many people here can help with great money saving tips. For example we advocate home glucose testing. By doing this, not only do you keep your kitty safe, you also save the vet bills. Also most of us feed grocery store bought Pate types of food rather than the expensive vet recommended foods. I don't know which insulin your cat is on, but sometimes there are places to get that at a discounted price too. Check out the Supply Closet forum. Here is a link to other sources
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/financial-help-links.131190/
    Good luck, and ask any questions you have.

3. Kot

Kot Member

I have lots of syringes for U100 insulin that I would not use.
    Also, with insulin it is often a considerable investment, so to speak, at the beginning but most of us here use insulin for at least 2 months so the cost spreads over. I agree with Sharon about home testing - it is the best way to save money AND to make your kitty feel better faster (instead of stressing him/her out by going to the vet to check BG). This Message Board has tons of information and our members are extremely helpful ;)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Step 1 will be changing to a low carb, over the counter, canned food such as Friskies or 9Lives pates. Fancy Feast classic pates are a bit more pricey and also suitable. That may reduce the glucose level 100-200 mg/dL. There was 1 cat who dropped 300 mg/dL.

Step 2 is testing at home with an inexpensive glucometer which will save you the costs of taking him into the vet for testing. Some options include the Target Up and Up, or the Walmart ReliOn Confirm, Confirm Micro, or Prime. The Prime is the least expensive in terms of test strips and meter, however it does take a larger blood droplet and sometimes that can be a problem for folks. Tests at the vet may be 100-180 mg/dL, so testing at home will give you a better idea of just how high he is. We have reference numbers to use with human glucometers (check my signature links).

Step 3, is insulin. Good options which last up to 12 hours per shot are ProZinc, BCP PZI, Lantus, and Levemir. The up front costs for Lantus and Levemir can be quite steep, but on a per unit basis, the costs for these are similar. If your vet is more familiar with Humulin/Novolin NPH (last 6-8 hours per shot in most cats) or Vetsulin/Caninsulin (lasts 8-10 hours per shot in most cats), you may want to choose ProZinc or PZI, which work similarly and last up to 12 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.