Need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan E, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan E

Susan E New Member

Help -- I just tried to follow the instructions to download the spreadsheet from Google Drive (which I've never done anything like before) and what came out was the title "Spreadsheet for Spooky" in the "signature" area, but that's it. I can't open or click or do anything. I have no idea how to access the excel sheet and I'm weeping with frustration. I have little hope that I can master this website.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Have you downloaded Google drive?

3. JanetNJ

it opens in Google sheets

4. Susan E

Susan E New Member

I Don't know if I downloaded it or it's in the "cloud." I have an account, and I can find the "Spreadsheet for Spooky"shown there with some other stuff which either I created or people shared. Isn't the spreadsheet supposed to open as part of the FDMD tho? Actually, I have no idea what I'm doing, and this means I can't start helping my cat, which makes me so unhappy.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Susan, I couldn't get my spreadsheet set up either. I'll tag @Marje and Gracie to help you. In the meantime you are helping your cat by being here and learning all you can about his condition. Test and keep track of his numbers and if you need dosing help post and include the latest tests.

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Susan, I couldn't do my ss either. It's not excel spreadsheet. Kindle fire doesn't have an app for Google sheets. Sharon tagged Marje, she will send you a private message and help you.

In the meantime you are helping your kitty by being here.

What questions do you have?

7. Susan E

Susan E New Member

You are so kind, Sharon and Janet. I've gotten used now to administering the insulin, and I'm setting up a new food system, which has to be good for all three cats. So it will be Fancy Feast twice a day, which luckily they love, plus a low-carb dry food snacking dish. I want to be able to track the blood values because I understand how dangerous unbalance could be, so I have to learn how to draw and test the blood in addition to keeping track of everything on the spreadsheet. It's just a lot at once, and the hardest is not being competent for the Google set up. I'd welcome some help in doing this so thank you for the suggestion. I'm retired, so I'm pretty much available.

8. Sharon14

Great! I don't know when Marje will be checking in, but she will be happy to help you. Have you started testing yet?

9. Susan E

Susan E New Member

I haven't started testing because I don't know what the values I'll get will even mean; I'll have to have the spreadsheet for that. I have no idea how to adjust the insulin based on the readings so I'll have to get tutored by my vet I guess. I really feel quite overwhelmed.

10. Sharon14

Are you giving insulin? Which one? It sometimes takes a few tries to get proficient in testing. If you start now we can tell you what the numbers mean.

11. Susan E

Susan E New Member

I'm giving Lantus; for the first 2 weeks I did 1 unit, then the vet upped it to 2. But I also changed food from Friskies seafood pates to
    Fancy Feast which are low carb. I know from my research that I have to be taking note of every change, but his glucose was so high (over
    400) that I doubt even together these changes are dangerous. But I have to get up to speed. I will try to do the first pre-meal reading tomorrow AM, and I'll put into the FMDB spreadsheet that I can access from excel. I watched the vet tech do the draw last week& also watched a few YouTube procedures. I've had cats forever, including one needing daily hydration for her kidneys, so I'm a bit daunted by all but sure I can do it. If I can sort out the spreadsheet. I will post the values of the pre meal test, assuming it goes ok-

12. Sharon14

Lantus is a great insulin. I'm sure you can get the hang of testing quickly. If you have any problems post and we'll try to help!

13. JanetNJ

Friskies pate' is ok to feed your kitty. Don't be nervous... If you can do sub q's then this will be a piece of cake.

14. Susan E

Susan E New Member

I'm so glad I found you all! I'm confident that your help will be key ànd be hugely helpful.

Sharon14 and JanetNJ like this.
  15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Susan

It looks to me like you have your SS up and linked. Great job!!! Can you tell me if you found it in your google drive because that's where you need to edit it from.

Just let me know how I can help! :):bighug::bighug:

Edited to add: I'll send you a private message as soon as dinner is done. Check your inbox in upper right corner in 30-45 minutes....you'll see a number on it for how many messages you have. Just click on "inbox"

16. Susan E

Susan E New Member

Hi Friends. Some successes, some failures. The Fancy Feast is gulped -- gulped! -- so I'm pretty sure Spook will be gaining some weight (he's lost 2 lbs, down to 8). No joy in trying to glucose test, tho. I could not get the lancet to produce blood. I'm going to my vet in about 30 minutes to get instructions, but I'm afraid Spook's ear will look like a pin cushion. As soon as I can get testing right, I'll deal with the spreadsheet and knowing how to read the values. Meanwhile, I guess that the best dry food -- and they all eat that too -- is Young Again? I guess it's no harm if they all have low, low carb diet.

JanetNJ likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

Yeah for Spook eating!!!!! And it's fine if they are all low carb... less chance that one of them will get diabetes too. Did you get a sample of the YA food? My cat loves it, and the other cats all pick on it too. (except my Zimmy, but that's ok because he's CKF and should have as much water as possible.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.