Need help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Maaryon, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

My, I have not posted since last year and am comfused with this new forum but I have a health problem with Topaz my semi feral cat. You can see my profile if it is still there as I am an older member.
    Here is the problem. Topaz has periods of vomiting and not eating and what she does eat comes up undigested (even hours later). The vet thinks she has pancreatitis (sp?) and that this will be a chronic problem. He said he never had a cat that lived this long with diabetis as she was diagnosed about eight years ago and has been on insulin all that time. However, I know that many of you have very old cats with diabetis correct? Also, has anyone had a cat with pancreatitis and what do I do? The vet did blood work and said all was well but her frutosomine(SP?) levils were a bit lower than the last time. I home test when I can and she ranges from 70 to 278 and no I can not do a curve as she is feral and I am lucky I get what I can. I can not test her when she is this sick as she will not tolerate contact. Any information will be appreciated. Oh. she is on Humulin N two units each time she eats. Maaryon and Topaz.

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

To dx pancreatitis an fPLI blood test should be done.
    Both my Winnie(GA) had p-titis as does my civie Wolfie.
    Here is a link to Texas a& m lab site. They have great information on p-itits .

http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/gilab/research/ ... itis.shtml

You can have your test done through them or Idexx also has a version of the test.

P-titis is treated symptomatically.
    Here is a starter post by jojo about this disease and FD kitties:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... msg-876776

Of course, there can be many reasons for your kitty to be vomiting and appy off.
    Did your vet do an x ray to see if there is an obstruction ?
    I hope you are able to get the fPLI test.

If your kitty is dx'd with CP I have lots of information i would be happy to share. As do others on the board.

and yes ! cats who are treated for FD can live long normal life spans.
    There are many on this board. My Winnie passed last summer at 19 from causes unrelated to FD.

Please keep us posted on how your kitty is doing.

3. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

Cheryl, thanks. I was feeling sad thinking that Topaz would leave me sooner than I expected. I will follow those sites you noted. Maaryon

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Hi Maaryon, it's nice to see you, not so nice about Topaz. Jojo has a paper on p-titis somewhere on here, I'm sure you'll get a link soon. The key, as I recall, is lower fat, so check Janet's charts for that.

5. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

She did get it ! The link is in my original post above.

Actually, a lower fat diet is not usually recommended for cats w/ chronic pancreatitis. If you read the papers by Marks and Zoran ( referenced down a bit in jojo's thread) , along with papers by other IM/gastro vets you will find this information.

ECID ! Some on this board have found it to help their cats, and as jojo says in her post it is best to experiment to see what works for an individual cat. My own experience with experimenting with 2 CP kitties' diets did not show any benefit of a lower fat diet.

To note, it has often been discussed on this board that canned commercial cat foods are higher in fat then optimal. Cheri and Louis put together a very nice list of moderate fat, low carb cat foods that have worked well for many p-titis kitties, as well *regular* diabetic kitties. A great list to work from if one wishes to experiment with diet for p-titis kitties.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1179876

Please keep us posted about your kitty Maaryon.

6. Maaryon

Maaryon Member

You guys are soooo great. I've not finished all the readings and T. has been put on a steroid as she was also having difficulty moving. She does not appear to be in pain but is sleeping a lot and eating very little. She is eating a little FF but mostly I am feeding her roast beef and boiled chicken and little by little she appears more interested in food.
    Man these vets are expensive. So far $700 and still no real diagnosis. will keep you all up to date. Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.