Need ideas

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lorry, Dec 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorry

Lorry Member

Hi, well I have been giving little Boy his insulin, the first two days he was fine, now when I take him out and get ready to inject it he starts trying to run away. I have started taking him out at odd times to try and throw him off. But no luck I even tried setting his canned food in front of him and he ignores it and tries to run. I even change location tonight to see if he would calm down and no luck. Im not fast enough or confident enough to just grab some skin and poof inject I do have to grab a spot a couple of times to make sure I have it just right. Any suggestions? Thank You

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by taking him out exactly but you should be injecting him as he's occupied eating. How have you been doing it?

Lorry likes this.
  3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Have you tried positive reinforcement
    Maybe pick a spot your always gonna give shot, put him there give a treat (freeze dried, I use pure bites chicken) then get another treat out at shot time and I put on my end table (used to) give shot, give treat, so he associates the shot with a treat instead of the dreadful shot, does that make since? Also I did it when testing, now I just shake the strip container and here he comes, @Sue and Luci shes trained her and heck she’s ready to be fed, eat and shot just by her whistling for her, be consistent
    You can train your husband that way too lol lol:p

Lorry likes this.
  4. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Hi Lorry, Is this your first post to the forum? If so WELCOME!!

Could you please post your Spreadsheet and let us know if you need help with that.

Please edit your title and set it up like this:

DATE: CAT NAME: AMPS: ### That will help us all know what date this was posted and your kitties name, etc. at first glance. We have many posts on the forum and it just helps keep it all clear who posted on what day, etc.

There are lots of tips and tricks for helping us all get through this process - consistency is the key. Don't do any poking just take him to the testing place and talk to him in a calm voice and give him a treat - let him go. Later you can do it again and repeat many times a day - once in a while get in a poke (test) and then after feeding him the injection.

I'm curious where you're 'taking your cat out' from?

5. Tbarry

Tbarry Member

Welcome from another newbie. I am having same problem. This is the perfect place for you to be. I have received fantastic advice from very experienced people. They sense your stress. Many suggest singing. Sounds silly but it does work. How can you be stressed when you're singing right? I'm saying this as my husband is trying to get our troubled fur baby from under my bed! Usually I'm the stressed one, today it's him.

Lorry and Sue and Luci like this.
  6. Lorry

Lorry Member

Hi Panic, He was outdoor cat till I seen his weight loss brought him in to see how he peed and pooped before taking to vet just before Thanksgiving. He is in my big dog kennel as I have three indoor cats that need to get used to him before I turn him out in house. And as I live with my father (lost my mom a year ago) he says 3 cats enough and house is really not roomy enough. But am doing best I can at moment. But I take him out of kennel.

Bellasmom and Sue and Luci like this.
  7. Sue and Luci

Oh my... I understand. Wonderful that you've taken him inside - poor thing - outdoors is not a good place for domestic cats. Has he been neutered?

Are you home testing, Lorry?

Bellasmom and Lorry like this.
  8. Lorry

Lorry Member

Hi Bellasmom, I have tried setting his canned food in front of him and he wont even touch it he is grabbing edge of counter with claws trying to get away. I try not to be to nervous but had a bad experience at hospital to where I see a needle I feel like I will pass out. I just pick the needle up I start shaking. I did take his travel blanket as he likes to be wrapped in it and put in cage to go to vet so I tried that this morning he kind of settled down, but still tried to run. Instead of letting him go right after shot I did scratch his chin and between ears and he did relax, so might try that again. I will keep your tip in mind I ever get married lol. Thank You

Bellasmom likes this.
  9. Lorry

Lorry Member

Hi Sue and Luci, I tried to fill all that out like yours is but it kept telling me I had to many lines what is under my post is all it would let me do. Thank you

10. Lorry

Lorry Member

Yes he has.

11. Lorry

Lorry Member

No not home testing In a week or so I take him in and my vet will do it for the moment I think that best as he can associate being poked for blood by a stranger lol. He is 8 years old and neutered. He gets 0.1 unit for now just started Wednesday night. My dog was into vet Tuesday to get a cancer lump off front leg then cat Wednesday lol so my plate is busy dog is deaf is on kennel rest for 14 days.

12. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Hey lovings work too
    Good job and we are all nervous at firit's normal, we all do the best we can

Lorry likes this.
  13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I see. Has he been a strictly outdoor cat prior to this? He may just be stressed with the new indoor environment. I had a tomcat once who never was comfortable being inside at all, I can't imagine getting him to eat inside much less be comfortable enough to hold still for a shot lol. I understand things being difficult when your parents make the house rules about animals so I understand your hands may be tied. Are you allowed to designate him into perhaps your bedroom instead of a kennel? I think your biggest issue is getting him comfortable in his environment. He sounds stressed about it.

I see you said he tries to get off the counter - you might try just sitting his food on the floor and sitting down next to him to give the poke. That's how I do it, my girl is indoor-outdoor and I think she'd be weirded out if I sat her higher than the floor.

Lorry likes this.
  14. Lorry

Lorry Member

He loves being indoors he only gets upset when its shot time. I can set on couch with him he watches tv and he will start purring. I would like to let him out to roam but I have a fixed male cat who likes to bully and at this time I dont need him to hurt Little Boy poor kid has enough with getting shots. I have not done his 5pm feeding so maybe he will have more interest in his food. I used his travel blanket this morning and he did ok so I might use that to. He dont mind the dog kennel and he likes the dogs used to pounce on them when a kitten. His mom was dumped here in the country because she was prego, I took to feeding her and soon I was the stepmom to 5 kittens, could never find homes for them so I still have them. The 2 girls are only ones not fixed I got mom and the two boys fixed as soon as I could. The 2 girls are in a big 10 foot by 10 foot 6 feet high kennel till I can spay them. I will try sitting on the couch with him maybe I can find a program that gets his interest. I want to Thank You for your ideas, I appreciate it so much.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Your signature is limited to 3 lines unless you've been here for a very long time. You are also limited to only 2 links. If you are still having problems, please post a note in the Tech Support forum.

I'm tagging @Marje and Gracie in case the problem is with getting your spreadsheet set up.

Lorry likes this.
  16. Sue and Luci

I'm sorry about that...
    You can add more info to the top of your SS when it's ready to go.

17. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

This post (click on dark blue to the left) will tell you what needs to be in your signature block and how you can help us help you.

If you need help with or need me to do the spreadsheet, please send me a private message by clicking on “Marje and Gracie” at the left and then “start a conversation”.

Sue and Luci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.