? Need info: Mega Colon Kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lyndsey, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndsey

Lyndsey New Member

My baby was diagnosed with Mega Colon today. Vet said the colon is 8x larger than it should be. He's afraid to do steroid treatments like he normally would, because the diabetes isn't 100% managed.

Jango will be at the vet probably until Monday (for the 2nd week in a row)

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this, and what I can do for my boy.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that. How old is he, how long has he lived with this? How does it affect his metabolism?
    I've known some humans with IBS that have their intestines resected, has that option been discussed or can he live just fine without the surgery.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Mom2Maverick

Mom2Maverick Member

My cat has megacolon. I have had to take him to the vet 2-3 times for enemas. The extreme cases, which yours might be, need to be put under general anesthesia for the vet to manually remove the stool from the colon. Some cat owners choose to have surgery to have the colon removed.
    To be honest the megacolon has been harder and more nerve wracking to manage than the blood sugars. I give my cat Cisapride to help with motility, miralax to soften the stool and some herbal drops that I'm not sure are working. I have found recently that this food with egg yolk makes him go, so I give it when he is in need of a good poop. https://tikipets.com/product/tiki-cat/chicken-with-egg/
    Some people also give a medicine call lactulose. This facebook group is a good place to see how other people are managing. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1666701553575089/
    Cats without diabetes seem to do well on a prescription dry food Royal Canin GI Fiber response.
    I have chosen to feed very low carb, no fiber, high protein diet with a good amount of water mixed in.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Plain pumpkin would add moisture and fiber to the diet without large blood glucose spikes. Lots of water too. Add water to the food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.