Need Lantus, but can’t afford?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PayItForward, Aug 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PayItForward

PayItForward New Member

Hi there!!

I had a very special, sweet cat in my life. She helped me get through many difficult chapters of life. Her loving disposition, hilarious antics and stellar personality made her extremely loved by everyone who met her. She left a huge smile on your face and made sure she’d never be forgotten.

Unfortunately, she passed away about 2 years ago. She had diabetes and then chronic kidney disease. She was in stage 4 kidney failure at the time of diagnosis. The diabetes diagnosis happened about 6 months before the kidney disease diagnosis. Her diabetes was starting to go into remission and we were hoping she would no longer need insulin and that’s when we found out her kidneys weren’t going to make it much longer.

My father was also a diabetic, caused by exposure to Agent Orange when he was serving in Vietnam, which led to kidney failure. Fortunately, he was able to receive a kidney transplant and had long-term success. The coincidence of my cat developing the same illnesses as dad was pretty funny to us. We were very fortunate to have the expense of his medication and insulin covered by the VA. Dad received more insulin than he actually used. This allowed me to get my cat’s insulin free.

Sadly dad passed away in December. He loved animals and was always upset to hear about sick, mistreated, and homeless furr-babies. Dad was so happy he could help my cat and would want me to “pay it forward”. That said I have several vials of Lantus that now are of no use.

I would like to donate them to other cat parents who struggle with the expense of Lantus for their diabetic cat. I talked with my vet and since the insulin was out of their (or the pharmacy) hands they can’t take it. None of the vials have been opened and don’t expire for at least another 11 months or longer. I don’t thing I can legally give them to another person. But I would absolutely donate them to someone’s vet, so the vet could then give the insulin to someone.

I live in the Charlotte, N.C. area and wouldn’t mind shipping it around the the US, if needed. I would hope to have at least a portion of the shipping costs covered.

Please let me know if this would be helpful for anyone. Or if you know of an animal shelter/cat that can use or accept them. Otherwise I will donate them to Insulin For Life. Also, I have some syringes (I believe they’re all 100 unit), testing strips, alcohol swabs, lancets, etc.

(I have 8 new vials, only 1 is out of the box. All 8 still have their safety cap on the vial.

Below is a picture of my amazing cat, Skitty! And yes, she’s wearing her favorite collar, a charm necklace complete with Disney charms.

Thank you,

Amanda
    9CBD6874-E39B-4E20-8A5A-EBDB15DAF960.jpeg CDCACD20-1AA7-4254-BC17-130C2148016F.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

These could be donated to Diabetic Cats In Need, I don't know all that they do to help, I believe they also help with insulin. My cat Buddy was in the hospital very sick and they made a large payment on his bill. You could start a conversation with Chris & China and she would be able to help you(Chris is a case manager for DCIN).

Teresa & Buddy

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely, DCIN would love to have them! We help low income caregivers with insulin and supplies so they can afford to keep their cats in their homes instead of making the choice to euthanize, rehome or relinquish to a shelter just because they can't afford treatment.

Feel free to send me a private message if you're interested. Just click on my name and choose "start conversation"

We will be happy to cover postage too.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful photo of Skitty!

5. Deborah A Rodriguez

Deborah A Rodriguez Member

Amanda what a kind person you are, and please accept my condolences for the loss of your father.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

My condolences for the recent loss of your Dad and the loss of your adorable Skitty! What a wonderful and generous gesture to honour both of them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.