Need late night reassurance

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Louie B, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Louie B

Louie B Member

So Louie has seemed to be doing better today. Pupils not as dilated and just more energetic. Took his BS tonight and it was 656. So much for thinking he was doing better. Gave him his shot around 9:30 (right after the BS) and he went out for awhile. Not long, he came back, ate and nestled in his basket. in about 10 minutes he got up and went to his “I feel bad” spot and his eyes are dilated again. This never happens at noon—ALWAYS at my bedtime! I can’t imagine that his shot would have lowered it so much he’s hypoglycemic, since it was so high and Lantus is slow acting. Right?

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Lantus takes about 2 hours to take affect.

Could he of gotten into something while outside?

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Did you check his BG to see where it is?

Without a SS, we are not able to tell you what’s going on but I have seen cats go from very high numbers to low numbers and back to high in one cycle. You might be seeing numbers over 600 because he’s going lower. But we need a SS to look at to help you interpret what might be going on.

If he’s acting odd, you should take him to the ER.

Also, could you please take down the 911? It’s used for emergencies such as a cat in hypoglycemia, sick with DKA, etc. Thank you.

Christie & Maverick likes this.
  4. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Most kitties feel off in really high numbers. I'd say slim to none chance he went from 656 to super low, you're not seeing signs of hypo. I don't see a spreadsheet in your signature, so I can't say much else, but what I remember when my kitty was hitting high preshots like that when we first started insulin, he didn't feel well at all.

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Marje has been here much longer, so I'll take back my comment of slim to none chance ;)

6. Louie B

Louie B Member

Holy cow. I had no idea that the SAME company would code differently. I’m very new to this. So his 656 BG was inaccurate.
    The time when he was hypo he went blind and so to me, when he starts acting weird, it is 911. Sorry for any confusion. I got out our hypo “kit” which is some gravy laden FF and he wolfed down an entire can and part of another, which is what he did last time too. I took it again—this time coded correctly, and it was 523. Now it will propoblymgomthru the roof. I saw the SS’s and I have no idea how to do one. I have almost zero tech sense. And I have no idea how to take off the 911. I took a typewriter to college, not a computer, and I’ve never caught up with everyone else. :-(

7. Louie B

Louie B Member

I’m glad to take it off if someone tells me how,

8. Marje and Gracie

Each meter can have a 20% variance so there is very little difference between 656 and 523. I wouldn’t say the meter is inaccurate.

To take the 911 off, go to your first post in this thread, click on “thread tools” in the right corner, and then “edit title”. There’s a drop down box to the left of the title...select “no prefix”.

I can do a SS for you. I’ll send you a private message requesting info. Pls check your inbox.

Thank you.

9. Louie B

Louie B Member

Who knows what he eats when he’s out. I know for sure one house he dines at regularly. There was another family too but they moved. Those are the ones I know about. He’s very sweet and outgoing and everyone knows him. We say he’s a dog masquerading as a cat because he comes when you call, has even played fetch and loves everybody.

10. Louie B

Louie B Member

Got it! Thanks Marje for your offer to help! I’ll examine it all tomorrow. Hoping the Lou man rests well and lets me sleep. Dreading that 6:30 alarm!

11. Marje and Gracie

You’re welcome.