Need Meter Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mobeycat, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobeycat

mobeycat New Member

Hello- I am new to this as my cat was just diagnosed last week with Diabetes. It has been a whilwin of vet visits etc. So today we went to learn how to do home testing and give the injections. Mobey did not enjoy it at all. I feel that we can do the shots easily but the issue comes with the meter. I purchased the True2Go made by Homediagnostics. The vet's meter showed a reading of 450 but with our meter with the same blood taken by the vet showed 250. I am not sure what to do. Get a new meter? Also do I need a new lancet with every test? Any and all advice would be appreicated. I have not yet purchased more test strips and would like to figure this out before I do. Thank you so much for your help.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    good for you for learning to home test!
    Yes it is a good idea to replace the lancet needle for every test, or at the most every 2 tests, reused needles can irritate and wear out, most here replace it with every test, and they are fairly inexpensive too.

As for the meter u are using, I haven't heard many positive things about any meter that starts with True in it, that's not to say it is a bad choice, reviews may vary.
    As an example, if you look at this link, from Consumer Reports, they tested human meters, and one of the other True meters, the TrueTrak does not have the best ratings. You can also do a google search to find some reviews .

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest

Some recommendations would be the Relion meter, inexpensive and inexpensive strips as well, if you can afford the strips for the One Touch meter, that is a popular choice as well.

If you need tips and more info on home testing, this link has tons of info plus video links:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

hi there and welcome.

i recall seeing that meter in the store but i can't honestly remember if i've seen anyone here using it.

if you do decide to get another one, and are in the States? , the Relion Micro or Confirm at Walmart is the most economical. If you don't have a walmart readily available, then i'd probably go with an Accu-Chek Aviva as it's real easy for people starting out. I like the Freestyle line of meters but the strips are a bit pricey. No matter what though, if you end up going with a new meter and a brand name one, just know that you can order test strips for them online for about half the price of what you see in the stores so don't freak out about test strip prices :)

lancets. i'd say a lancet a day at the most. next to ketostix they are probably the cheapest part of this dance and if you buy online, you can get these from hocks.com for $1.49/100 and they work just fine.
    http://hocks.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc ... INLAN10030

for that matter that's a good site for all the testing supplies and if you click thru the link to the upper left of the page, this site gets a commission to help with the costs of keeping the site going.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I like my Wavesense Presto meter, and you can get a free one if you google around. The offer is buy a supply of strips, which are relatively inexpensive, and get a free meter. The WP uses very little blood, too.

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

My first meter was a "true" meter and I will tell you it made me crazy. It read everything low and when I compared it to the OTU that I now use, it was way off - more than 20% variance.

I was told to dump the meter and just use the OTU and it was the best thing I ever did. I actually returned the true to store for refund.

6. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

I also have a WaveSense Presto. I get the strips at WisdomKing for $17 something, for 100..+ shipping
    I just bought a ReliOn from WalMart to compare, and get a 50 point difference when comparing same blood, with both meters.
    I don't understand that.
    It makes it hard to know what to put in spreadsheet. I take an average, for lack of something better.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Did the vet take blood from a vein?

The human glucometers are intended for use with capillary blood

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.