Need more help with assisted feeding

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Angel (GA), Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

I started using assisted feeding for Angel a couple of weeks ago, since she's just not eating enough on her own. It was going fine at first, and she didn't like it, but she was okay with it. Then several days ago, she learned how to spit out the food by pushing it through her teeth with her tongue. I thought that maybe she was just sick of the maximum calorie food that I was giving her, so I started using her normal foods some of the time. She'll sometimes eat it and sometimes not. Some of the times when she's being difficult and spitting out the syringed food, when I put the rest of it into her bowl right afterward, she'll go eat some of it on her own. So it's not necessarily that she has a problem with eating, she just doesn't like it not being on her own terms.

But on her own, she simply doesn't eat enough, only a teaspoon or so at a time. The assisted feeding is vital to getting her to feel better, and in fact I think it WAS making her feel better when I started it. But I think she's getting really tired of it, since I've been doing it several times a day, and she's ticked off about it.

Suggestions??

2. Heather & Angel (GA)

I should add...

Since I know this will come up, Angel is already on Pepcid-AC and Zofran to help with nausea. I've also been using mirtazapine for her appetite, although I don't know how much it has helped, and I tried cyproheptadine, but I don't think it worked at all.

3. Sunshine and BA

Sunshine and BA Member

Re: I should add...

Heather,
    I also assist feed with my BA (Blue Angel). Has your girl been tested for pancreatitis by fPLI. If not you might want to consider.
    Things that help my assisting feeding go the is:
    1. Food is ground to baby food consistency w/o adding water.
    2. Use a 10cc syringe that does not have the rubber plunger which gets stuck and can startle.
    3. If she isn't licking from the syringe, feed 2-3 cc's at a time by placing syringe at the side
    of the mouth toward the back.
    4. Finishing one bite before the next so she can breath while eating.
    5. Go to where she is to feed.
    6. There will be times some food drops out because the bite is a little too big for her mouth so I give
    smaller bites.
    7. TLC for both.

Sunshine and BA

4. Heather & Angel (GA)

Hi Sunshine and BA,

Yes, Angel has had the test you mentioned in the past, and it did come back suggesting pancreatitis. But the vet already knew she probably has it because of all her other problems, including the 7 yrs of FD. Besides, from what I understand, there's no treatment for it except for general health support, and the antacids, nausea meds, and appetite stimulants that we're already giving her.

The other tips you describe sound like what I'm already doing, expect that I don't feed her where she is. I have to wrap her up kitty-burrito style to do any meds or feeding, and I have a small extra bedroom where I do those things. That way, when she's on her little bed by the sliding door, she feels safe and comfortable and doesn't have to worry that bad things will happen there (except that I might come pick her up to go to the other room).

I've seen the video of Steve feeding his cats, and I'm very jealous that it's so easy for others to do this! :?

5. maggie&curly

maggie&curly Member

Can I ask what the maximum calorie food is that you feed your cat? Curly usually eats like a little pig but does not put on weight and i was wondering if there was a higher calorie food that was still diabetic-friendly. Thanks, and I hope your cat is eating better.

6. Heather & Angel (GA)

Maggie & Curly,

The food is Iams Maximum Calorie, which is normally only available from your vet.

7. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

Have you joined Yahoo's group: Feline Assisted Feeding? Have you considered a feeding tube? Donna PS Best of luck, I've been there a few times.

8. Heather & Angel (GA)

Hi, Donna,

Yes, I did join the Yahoo forum, but it's not quite as active as this board. I don't think Angel can have a feeding tube because of her advanced CRF, meaning that she can't have anesthesia.

Have you ever dealt with this problem in a cat with advancing CRF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.