? Need neww meter - how to choose??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JenM, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenM

JenM Member

We've been using the Relion Prime from Walmart since Tink was diagnosed in Nov '13. Wow... I can't believe it's been that long. We're still dancing around a Lantus dose... but lately my meter has been acting up.

I'm getting a LOT of errors lately, even when I shouldn't (blood drew up smoothly, etc). Also got an error I'd not seen the other day. Assuming my meter is crapping out (don't imagine a $15 meter is expected to last much longer than this one has).

Anyway... I'd LOVE to get away from Walmart - strips is ALL I go there for. Looking at ADW and they have some comparable options. The cheapest one takes a 1mL sample though, so that's out. But there is one that's only $2 more per box of strips, and takes the same .5mL sample size as my Relion does. Will this work? I see some meters say "for alternate site testing" etc... but this one says for fingertip or forearm only. Does that matter?

THIS http://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/free-true2go-monitor-kit_1604_123.htm is the meter I'm looking at.

Appreciate your advice. I'd love to order something today so I don't have to get more strips.

2. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

I have Relion Prime. Possibly change battery? It's warranty is 5 years.

3. Jamye and Fred

Jamye and Fred Member

Ps my first meter was Accu Chek. Strips too expensive. Relion Prime is most popular on the FDMB I think.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I adore my Accu-chek Aviva. Its the only one I've used through 4 diabetics. I have always gotten strips on eBay to keep the cost down (pay around $20-25 per box of 50). The Aviva takes a 0.6mL sample, but I've found that its "sipping action" is much better than other meters I've tried so I don't notice it needing more blood.

5. JenM

JenM Member

:( Ok... thanks. Maybe I'll just stick with the Prime. I could try replacing the battery again, though it's not blinking at me (did replace it once, when it did). I just hate Walmart and would love to avoid them... but I can't spend more than double on strips. I could justify a couple extra dollars per box... but since the Prime strips are only $9 for 50, it's hard to find anything very comparable. :/

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The Arkray USA Glucocard 01 or 01 Mini at ADW are the unbranded versions of the WalMart Confirm or Confirm Micro. That means you can order fro ADW, but in a pinch, can go to WalMart for supplies.
    We find that some meters with Free or True tend not to do so well with cats.

JenM likes this.
  7. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I use the Target Up & UP branded meter. The sample size is the smallest of all the meters I looked at, and the strips are dirt cheap, and it's been reliable for me. It's available at target stores, and I think Meijer carries the same meter as their house brand meter under a different name.

JenM likes this.
  8. JenM

JenM Member

How much are the Target strips? I've found it pretty hard to compete with $9 for 50 that I get at Walmart. :(

9. JenM

JenM Member

Ohhh... I'll look those up and see. I knew they had the unbranded one, but wasn't sure which one it was.

Sorry to hear about Gracie. :( RIP little kitty angel.

10. JenM

JenM Member

:( The Arkray strips are like $19/box. :( That's twice as much as I'm paying. Guess I'm stuck with good ol' Walmart. Ugh.

11. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I think the target strips are about $12 for 25, $20 for 50, and $35 for 100.

12. SuePea

SuePea Member

I swear by the ReliOn Confirm. It uses a tiny amount of blood and yes, the strips are so cheap you can't beat it. Have you tried running yours on a test solution? You can get it directly from ReliOn although it takes a week or more to get it.

13. Jessica1995

Jessica1995 New Member

Seems Like a few people with dogs with Diabetes like the One Touch Ultra 2, say it is comparable to Alpha Trak 2

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What is your budget for test strips? That's where the manufacturers get you in the wallet.

Jessica1995 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.