Need Pepcid AC Dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Patticass & Tyler (GA), Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patticass & Tyler (GA)

Patticass & Tyler (GA) Member

Justin was on pepcid about 4 years ago but hasn't taken it in awhile. He needs to go back on, vet said go ahead but I forgot to ask dosage. I just went to the drugstore and they have 10 mg pills and 20 mg pills. Which is it? and is it 1/4 pill twice a day?

2. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Hi,
    I have gone with the 10mg pill, but to tell you the truth, splitting into quarters has never been that easy for me, so I think that every so often he get closer to a third of a pill.
    Good Luck,
    Dana

3. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Re: Need Pepcid AC Dosage (eta)

It's 2.5 mg. So either 1/4 of the 10 mg pill or 1/8 of the 20 mg pill (that's probably Pepcid Max).

eta: oops the official name is Maximum Strength Pepcid AC for the 20 mg ones. I think most ppl use the 10 mg ones, make sure it's AC and not Complete.

4. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Hey Patti
    Just thought I'd throw out too - that if you can get the "generic" brand it's called Famotidine 10mg tablets. I know if you can get it at Costco - it's your best buy!

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Yes Costco has their Kirkland brand Maximum Strength Acid Controller. Way cheap. 20mg tablets.

Cut 10mg tablets into 1/4 or cut 20mg tablets into 1/8.

One trick I found with the 20mg tablets:
    First cut int 1/4ths like cutting pie wedges.
    Then stand each little wedge on it's 'back'...the round part of the pie-slice.
    Now cut down from the 'point' of the pie to the round side, thus making a thin
    slice.

I found it useful to keep one of those 7-day vitamin tablet sorters and prepare all of
    Smokey's meds once per week, for each day.

Also, when cutting tablets, use a very sharp knife (recently honed on your kitchen
    steel). Place the tablet on a cutting board, place the knife blade upon the tablet where
    you wish to cut it. Now put your thumb and forefinger OVER the knife and hold each
    half of the tablet on the side of the knife, then push down. Holding in this way helps make the
    halves even, and keeps pills from flying across the room.

6. Erimess & Sammy (GA)

Erimess & Sammy (GA) Member

Well, no one's addressed dose so...

I personally would start with 2.5 mg sid, although some people choose to go only every other day. (Perhaps some concern for more pills?) You can easily up it to 2.5 mg bid as well if you feel that's necessary.

I've known people to do 5 mg bid, but most people don't go that high, and that's the absolute highest dose I've ever seen given.

Really, in the long run, the 10 mg pills are just way easier, and the generic is just as good and easy to find. I get Kroger brand for myself personally and it most definitely works just fine.

7. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

I usually have good luck finding the 10mg pills in the generic fomatadine. I bought a pill cutter from the pharmacy for $3-$4 and it made life a lot easier ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.