? Need quick dosing advise (if possible)...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JohnZ, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Need quick dosing advise... Derek's numbers seem to be trending lower... but since I'm away and can't test during the AM for about 10-11 hours- I'm unsure if I should continue the current dose (.75) or maybe reduce the dose to .5 to be safe?

I did reduce this morning's dose to approx .6 (just eye balling it).

He's due for his next shoot in about 30 minutes.

By the way- I do leave a lot of low carb wet food out for him. Any thoughts?

His spreadsheet is up to date...

I also posted in the Lantus forum...

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

OK- going to go with another .6 dose for his PM shot... still not sure going forward...?

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Did you not get any feedback on the L&L thread, John?

It's not often I comment on dosing. At the end of the day, you have to make decisions about safety. FWIW, there's only one time I went with the vet over my gut and it's the only time Saoirse showed hypo symptoms. :nailbiting:

I see you've had some dosing suggestions from the L&L people. I'd suggest going with your gut. You can see your kitty as well as his numbers. Sorry I can't be of much help. :(

Mogs

4. Critter Mom

I did notice a discussion about timed feeders on your other thread, BTW. I see that you leave plenty of grub down for your little ones. I do similar with Saoirse. She's diet-controlled but I can't let her fast too long or her numbers climb. Rather than leave all of her overnight food allowance out for her to graze on, I leave some out and put the rest in a timed feeder to open a few hours later. That way she has some in reserve in case she finishes the first lot too early. Might be something to consider for your little ones so that Derek stands less of a chance of running out of grub mid-cycle.

Mogs

5. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Hi Mogs!

I did try the timed feeder- only thing is- with 9 other cats- Derek can't count on any food being left- if he really needs it. Not sure how to handle this- maybe more feeders?

6. Critter Mom

Four Catmate C20s and one Catmate C10 would do it, John.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It may become more of an issue as Derek's regulation improves. He seems to be making very steady progress (anti-jinx!). :)

7. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Thanks Mogs :)

Got a 54 reading back on 7/30/2015- lucky I was home and just happened to to a test- guess that scared me a bit :eek:

8. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

Wow- I'll have to check into these- maybe this is the way to go... Thanks!

9. Critter Mom

Hi John,

The near misses really do stick in the mind, don't they! :nailbiting:

The Catmate feeders are fairly basic. They use mechanical timers which are a tad imprecise. I usually set them so that the little timer pointer is pointed at a position on the dial about 30 minutes before I want the meal to be dispensed (e.g. if I want the meal served in 4 hours time I set the feeder timer for 3½ hours.

The C10 and C20 are pretty burgle-proof but a very strong cat who's fond of using brute force and his claws might manage to pull the lid off but it would require a lot of effort.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.