Need some advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SoxGalVA, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoxGalVA

SoxGalVA New Member

I'm really not sure where this should go or if it's even appropriate for this board but here goes...

My oldest cat Gordie is 15 1/2 and not doing well. He has been diabetic for two years and recently stopped eating.(I can get him to eat 1 - 2 tbsp of food a day) He dropped from 19 lbs to 11.5 as of last night which is about a pound less than last week. Most of the weight loss has been in the last month. Blood and urine test came back with nothing and he is not needing his insulin anymore. He's already been on a round of antibiotics just in case which didn't help.

Gordie doesn't do well at the vet and any procedure like an xray requires he be put under. Frankly, I think he's had enough of the vet. I'm also not in a financial position to have x-rays and ultra sound and and the vet gives me the feeling (but doesn't actually say) that what we will learn is that the problem is something I won't be able to treat.

So I guess my question is this. Other than the not eating and weight loss he's doing ok. He's even more affectionate than usual and is still able to get around albeit slowly. How do I know when it's time? I hate the idea of him starving to death but don't want to put him down sooner than necessary either.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry you guys are having difficultites....

There are so many unknowns with what you've posted....

Do you test blood glucose levels at home or how do you know he no longer needs insulin?

Has his urine been tested for ketones (at home)?

Has he had any recent blood work done to show kidney values, etc.?

It sounds like he's starving to death, and the problem could be easily solved or not, and there is no way from the little information you've posted to really tell you where the problem is.

At the very least I'd suggest getting him to the vet for a very complete checkup and go from there. I'd hate to anaesthetize a cat for something easily treatable :cry:

3. SoxGalVA

SoxGalVA New Member

Sorry, He has been multiple times to the vet in the last 3 weeks. I don't test him at home but he's had several checks at the vet and has always been in a normal range except for the first time when he was quite low(and still on glargine). The vet ran a full blood panel and it didn't seem to indicate liver, kidneys, pancreas, thyroid etc. They keep checking for ketones too but said that wasn't the problem. They are leaning towards cancer but would need the x-rays and ultrasound to be sure. I don't have the test results handy, I'm not even sure they gave them to me.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Ok, that paints a more complete picture...but one that will be more difficult to help with. The thing is though, some kinds of cancers are very treatable and could give him many more years of quality life with you...but then there are other possible issues that aren't so easily treatable.

Hopefully someone like Jess or Jojo will see this and have some ideas for possible diagnostics that would be easy on your boy

Hugs

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.